Home Tutorials Download Beta Store Forum Documentation KnowledgeBase Wiki Blog

ShiVa3D

Return to Import

Help with import from Truespace 7.6

Resources Import, formats, techniques and optimisation

Help with import from Truespace 7.6

Postby EvilNoodle » 13 Apr 2010, 19:35

Hi,

I have been trying all day to try and export a simple animated test object from Truespace 7.6 for use in Shiva with zero success.

The test scene is attached in RsScn format and is dead simple.

A single upright cylinder has a skeleton that was built inside the skin. There is a single animation sequence with two keys (0 and 30) where I have used the skeleton to deform the mesh.

Everything works in Truespace but the question remains... What on earth do I need to do to get this into Shiva with the skeleton and its associated animations so I could use it in a game (obviously I wouldn't put this in a game its just a test for something far more complex later but I need to know I can do it.)

Any help on this would be ace and if we manage to crack it I will write up a detailed tutorial for the community by way of thanks.

EvilNoodle [file name=SkelTest.zip size=81488]http://www.stonetrip.com/developer/forum/images/old/files/SkelTest.zip[/file]
EvilNoodle
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Re:Help with import from Truespace 7.6

Postby RedKetchup » 14 Apr 2010, 01:39

Do you have another format you can save... like .cob You can also check my video tutorial on export if you have unwrap 3D.
http://developer.stonetrip.com/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=2&func=view&id=19262&catid=12
RedKetchup
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby broozar » 14 Apr 2010, 02:11

CM ShiVa Technologies SAS
broozar
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby EvilNoodle » 15 Apr 2010, 01:36

Hey,

Thank you both for your input.

In the end I still got nowhere with Truespace. I have no idea what was going on with the collada export but things obviously were not right. When I imported into Ultimate Unwrap (normally bombproof) the model was totally pooched. I tried exporting into unwrap in a bunch of other formats but none of them seemed right.

So trying another route I fired up Blender and gave that a try. Slightly more success in getting into Ultimate Unwrap but nothing to write home about and definitely not working in Shiva.

Anyway I have managed to get my model into Shiva (textured and animated yay!!) through Carrara 7 Pro (using .x as an intermediary format) which I really wasnt expecting to work.

I have only done basic tests (single string of bones, single IK animation) so far so I have no idea what problems I will get with more complex models but it's a lot further forward that I was and that has to be a good thing!

I will do some more complicated tests tomorrow night and see what happens. I will post back here with my results.

Assuming it all works I intend to put together a basic tutorial for getting content from Carrara 7 Pro into Shiva and try to get it put up on the Tutorials page. Unfortunately it will be Carrara 7 pro only because the express and standard versions don't seem to support the right export file format.

I don't have a vast amount of time at the moment so no promises on when it will be done but I will make it a priority and try to get a first draft together as soon as I can.

Thanks again

EvilNoodle
EvilNoodle
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby todd » 15 Apr 2010, 17:16

Hey,

To import models from Truespace including the animations correctly normalize the pivot for both the skeleton and mesh and then using the Autodesk FBX converter to convert the dae to fbx and then back to dae (seems to fix any issues with the dae). You also need to export the model and the animations separately.

For some of the base Truespace models you may need to flatten the axis on the skeleton before exporting.

Todd
todd
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Postby ThunderZ » 15 Apr 2010, 21:39

interessting tood could you explain (or maybe made and little tuto) more about your export way to have an right DAE from truespace to Shiva :)
Web Site : Angel Software
Shiva Store : Debug Info Panel - FREE
ThunderZ
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby broozar » 15 Apr 2010, 23:39

EvilNoodle wrote:Anyway I have managed to get my model into Shiva through Carrara 7 Pro which I really wasnt expecting to work.
indeed, carrara is usually the least tool you expect to have a working im-/exporter. i own a carrara license myself and do my dpisplacement and texture painting jobs with it. but i have never managed to export anything useful out of it in terms of 3d models. i'm interested in a detailled description as well.
broozar
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby EvilNoodle » 15 Apr 2010, 23:52

I will try to do my tutorial on this at the weekend but for now here is a quick overview of the process I used...

I created a test model in Carrara 7 pro which was a simple cylinder with it's root at 0,0,0.

I added a skeleton and an IK target to allow easy animation. My skeleton had 5 bones in total. I made a super simple animation with 30 frames into total and two keys (one at frame 0 and the other at 29).

I then saved the scene as a .x and imported it into Ultimate Unwrap 3D pro. Ultimate unwrap will quote a silly high number for the "Ticks/Sec" field but some simple maths on this will sort out the timings.

Once in Ultimate Unwrap I did no editing and just exported to the Collada format then imported directly into Shiva.

Everything imported OK including the material, skeleton, animbank and clip. There may be some modification required depending on how you like your axis but apart from that everything seems to work.

Unfortunately I did not have time tonight to do more comprehensive testing but hopefully I will get to it at the weekend.

Hope that's helpful.

EvilNoodle
EvilNoodle
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby broozar » 16 Apr 2010, 00:02

ah ok you are using carrara on windows. i'm on a mac, where they... "forgot"... to implement the x exporter and some other stuff. ok, the lack of the x exporter is due to the lack of the directX sdk on mac. anyway, i thought you were using their dae or fbx exporter, which suck balls when it comes to animations.
broozar
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby EvilNoodle » 16 Apr 2010, 00:20

Yeah I tried it with the collada and fbx exporters and I agree they are not good for this.

It's a shame although kind of understandable that the mac version doesn't have the .x functionality. I am hoping they do some serious work on the impex functionality (especially Collada) of Carrara on version 8 but for the moment I can live with this.

If you can find a way to make Carrara Windows work on your Mac (virtualisation perhaps if it can support the graphics I know some of them have 3D support in alpha??!?) my way may work for you but like I said it's early days and I have not fully exercised it yet.

I find all this kind of a let down given that collada is supposed to be the ultimate imp/ex standard for transferring data between 3D apps and amongst my collection of 3D tools very few can do it in a usable way and even fewer in a way that is feature complete.

EvilNoodle
EvilNoodle
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby EvilNoodle » 03 May 2010, 19:46

Well it took a lot longer than expected because I have been silly busy but I have now got a first draft of my tutorial content ready.

I will do a proof read tomorrow and go through all the steps once more to make sure everything works tomorrow and Wednesday so it should be available for all you guys later in the week.

Regards

EvilNoodle
EvilNoodle
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby EvilNoodle » 04 May 2010, 22:40

Hey

Annoyingly this is going to be a while because I just realised that while the .x export from Carrara does get the animation etc right it completely toasts the UV mapping of the object rendering it useless for all intents and purposes.

I will continue to investigate and update if I work anything out.

Grrrrrrrrrr

EvilNoodle
EvilNoodle
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby EvilNoodle » 04 May 2010, 22:57

Ok I just installed the beta of Carrara 8 Pro and it appears that the .fbx export now works with animation so that looks to be the quickest route now from Carrara to Shiva.

I will try exporting an animated, tectured model tomorrow and see if it works :)

EvilNoodle
EvilNoodle
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby broozar » 05 May 2010, 06:35

uuu there's a beta of car8 already? what happened to all the we-want-to-improve-that-in-v7 stuff... anyway, where did you get it? is it a closed beta, or public?
broozar
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby EvilNoodle » 05 May 2010, 08:50

Open to people with existing licences I think. There is a serial on their forum that is good until the 10th and the download was in my account history (I had to reactivate my downloads which took 30 mins).

The forum post with the key is http://forum.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=134075.

EvilNoodle
EvilNoodle
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Next

Return to Import