Home Tutorials Download Beta Store Forum Documentation KnowledgeBase Wiki Blog

ShiVa3D

Return to Game programming

Full screen scene + screen resolution

All about the StoneScript

Full screen scene + screen resolution

Postby badfish » 05 Apr 2012, 09:45

Hi,

I want to make my scene the exact size of the screen for several games i am working on, this seems straight forward enough for a single screen resolution, but obviously it changes when I view the scene in different resolutions.

Since i want to deploy to lots of platforms with different resolutions, i am wondering how people get around this, or what strategies they use to manage it.

Do you just scale everything by a multiple derived from the view port resolution? I am intending to use a similar technique for the HUD, along with view port aspect independent widgets.

Do you have problems placing scene and hud items in relation to each other when switching resolutions?

Any tips appreciated.

Thanks
badfish
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Re: Full screen scene + screen resolution

Postby broozar » 05 Apr 2012, 17:40

huds scale automatically, so contrary to many game engines out there, shiva gets that "multiplying everything with a screen res factor" out of your way. as far as scenes go, there is no scaling problem either. a model that fills 32% of the screen in 800x600 will fill the same amount at 1600x1200.

the biggest challenge would be screen aspect ratios, since there is no way to get a 16:9 game on a 5:4 screen without some serious stretching, letterboxing, or a different view that shows more than you intend to. but i did not do a game yet where showing a little more or less of the scene would have been an issue...
broozar
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: Full screen scene + screen resolution

Postby badfish » 06 Apr 2012, 08:09

Thanks for the reply. The auto resizing is not good for aspect ration changes, especially when textures are involved. Hence my question.

When i want to present a scene that is just the size of the screen, i.e. there is no other playable area off screen, then an aspect ration change will cause scene backgrounds to show.

Surely folk have hit this and come up with ideas to work around it? I guess i will try resizing the scene somehow!

Thanks
badfish
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Return to Game programming