Home Tutorials Download Beta Store Forum Documentation KnowledgeBase Wiki Blog

ShiVa3D

Return to Misc

OpenGL ES 1.1 vs OpenGL ES 2.0

All That Remains

OpenGL ES 1.1 vs OpenGL ES 2.0

Postby shikeyou » 03 Feb 2012, 00:04

Hi,

After tweaking my app to what I think looks decent on my PC, I tried exporting without the "Force OpenGL ES 1.1" option and my app was dead slow on a Samsung Galaxy S II. If I turn on that option, it's much faster but I lose a lot of the nice effects, including bloom, motion blur and fresnel.

Does anyone know why this happens?

Anyway, due to this, the look that I tweak in my PC might not be what I get when I port my app to my phone, and that is causing a bit of a back and forth while developing my app.

Does anyone know how I could possibly get back some of these nice effects? Maybe I could implement something on my own with OpenGL ES 1.1? Anyone tried that?

If that is not possible, is there any way that I could force OpenGL ES 1.1 preview in my PC so that I know that is the look that I will get on my phone?
shikeyou
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Re: OpenGL ES 1.1 vs OpenGL ES 2.0

Postby dreamora » 03 Feb 2012, 07:42

Thats normal.

OpenGL ES 1.1 is fixed function pipeline only which does not support postprocessing, pixel shader blending and shadows

Thats likely also the reason its much faster, post processing is very gpu intense, bloom and all realtime fullscreen effects in general.

you might want to reconsider trying to let a application targeted at DX10 - DX11 mid to high range hardware on a mobile, for sake of performance :)
I'm no stonetrip representative, just a happy board member like you :)

If you find my portfolio interesting, feel free to contact me or follow my shares on my twitter stream or my game development blog
dreamora
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby shikeyou » 06 Feb 2012, 02:35

Thanks for the reply dreamora! :D

Actually I just want to turn on the bloom effect. After some trial and error, I figured that it's the motion blur attributes on the camera that is causing the massive lag. I had to turn both the vector blur and motion blur off. Also, things like contrast in the Ambience Editor seems to slow down the app quite a lot too. Bloom seems fine though, at least for what I am working on, so everything's cool for me now.

Oh and, to answer my own question (in case anyone has the same question), it's possible to turn off the OpenGL ES 2.0 effects in the editor by going to Shiva Editor > Scene Viewer > Display > Render Options, and turn "3D Device Driver" to "0. Software - Low Quality". That would turn off the pixel/vertex shaders I think, and thus should be the OpenGL ES 1.1 preview?

Sorry for the late replies, I can only work on my app using Shiva every other few days :?
shikeyou
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Postby dreamora » 06 Feb 2012, 07:41

No, even if you go to software thats not the same as OpenGL ES 1.1, there are some deeper differences.

There is nothing thats representative for it beside the devices itself or in case you own a marmelade license, the marmelade emulator which emulates the hardware.

But naturally software is fine enough to give you an idea how it would look without the shaders :)
I'm no stonetrip representative, just a happy board member like you :)

If you find my portfolio interesting, feel free to contact me or follow my shares on my twitter stream or my game development blog
dreamora
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby shikeyou » 06 Feb 2012, 15:25

I see, thanks for the clarifications :D
shikeyou
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Return to Misc