ShiVa3D

Return to Misc

Unreal engine 4 vs shiva it's possible?

All That Remains

Unreal engine 4 vs shiva it's possible?

Postby Deivid L. » 18 May 2012, 13:58

Unreal engine 4 will be released in 2014
http://www.develop-online.net/news/40840/First-Unreal-Engine-4-images-surface

But I want to ask if is possible to compete with UDK 4 on shiva 3d.
Deivid L.
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Re: Unreal engine 4 vs shiva it's possible?

Postby redmotion » 18 May 2012, 15:41

Can you make a game that looks like a AAA title on Console or PC?
redmotion
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby DoctorPepper » 19 May 2012, 08:28

If you are working in a developer team of 50, then no, its impossible.
If you are alone or with a buddy, UDK will scare u sh1tless
DoctorPepper
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby dreamora » 19 May 2012, 16:35

Deivid L. wrote:Unreal engine 4 will be released in 2014
http://www.develop-online.net/news/40840/First-Unreal-Engine-4-images-surface

But I want to ask if is possible to compete with UDK 4 on shiva 3d.

Sure, if you happen to have the same 500k just for the engine (thats what UE costs per title, UE4 has nothing to do with UDK, UE4 will not land on UDK for quite some time likely, already the current UDK is only a stripped down version of UE3 when it comes to current gen features) and another 20-40M for your title so you can justify those 500k towards your investors just for the engine, everything is possible
I'm no stonetrip representative, just a happy board member like you :)

If you find my portfolio interesting, feel free to contact me or follow my shares on my twitter stream or my game development blog
dreamora
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby Deivid L. » 19 May 2012, 22:40

I undestood but I love shiva 3d and I want to compete with UE4 hehe I will I'll reserve more time of my life to make games with shiva hehe.
Thank you very much guys and if you need help in anything I will be here to help if I can.
Deivid L.
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby TRANE23 » 20 May 2012, 11:22

70 to 80% of the graphics quality of a game come from modeling and texturing by using real time rendering constraints ( low poly, texturing tiling, good texture density, Lightmapping, normal mapping, parallax, etc( yes these ones are engine features but are standards now)).
The engine brings shading, HDR, shadowing, particles, procedural destruction, DOF, Bokeh, Animation system and of course the algorithms used to code theses effects.
The stonetrip dev team is not the epic team (even if the core engine is usually developped by a single person at the beginning, for epic Tim Sweeney, and for Shiva the great Nicox).
And you will see that the algorithms used in Shiva are always evolving and you have now huge possibilities with shiva and a lot of technics used in UDK or Cry.
The main problem to reach the Unreal or CryEngine Level is the use of Custom Shaders to add visual effects on materials.
Other differences are more technical dev points like procedural, workflow, programming paradigm, etc but I don't think there is a thing you can code with unreal and you can't code with Shiva natively or via plugins. Things are easier with Unreal and other easier with Shiva.
So talking just about visual aspects with the same production Team, I'm sure you can make great games with Shiva competing Unreal with a good graphics team specialized in 3D Real Time (and also a good dev team ).
If I had money, time and a big team I could show you it's possible to make AAA games. :D
TRANE23
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Postby Benton » 25 May 2012, 16:57

Check out "Babel Rising" it is a game published by Ubisoft and made with ShiVa for Xbox.

A lot of what makes a game is good art, the rest is shaders, and a small part of it is features like dynamic cloth, which can be done with a plugin. The only thing ShiVa does not have is custom shaders, for mobile no big deal.
Join us and chat about ShiVa: http://mibbit.com/#shiva@irc.shivaplace.com:6669\
Or connect your IRC client to: irc.shivaplace.com:6669
Benton
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Postby todd » 25 May 2012, 21:08

@Benton Custom shaders can be just as important for mobile as well. People are now expecting high quality graphics on mobile platforms even though filtrate is still limited and custom shaders provide the flexibility to optimize or fake details to provide that, so long as there is the ability to specify precision on variables to improve performance.
todd
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Postby shivachristy » 26 May 2012, 18:17

70 to 80% of the graphics quality of a game come from modeling and texturing

The Shiva community needs to find sites with more diverse 3d models or set up a community of 3d models sales. So that we can use better models in our games.

With regards to [url]Unreal will scare you sh1tless[/url] thats a great marketing line for them, developers love a challenge!
http://cur.lv/1x0wx via an ad! Thanks
shivachristy
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby neilb » 27 May 2012, 03:18

The cost of the AAA artwork for use in the Unreal 4 engine will scare u sh1tless...
neilb
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby Final_S » 16 Jun 2012, 10:00

Currently Shiva 1.9 can be beautiful if handled properly. Add in DX11 with a skin shader and Shiva will be a visual beast.

The biggest thing to fear from the Unreal Engine is the new PhysX. The real-time nVidia demo's running on a GTX6 gpu is ridiculous.
Final_S
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Return to Misc