Re: So... Looks Like 2.0 Is Dead

Postby broozar » 12 Sep 2012, 22:03

haha, indeed this is fun!
broozar
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby dreamora » 13 Sep 2012, 00:30

While I am just as unhappy about the lack of 2.0 informations or even a reliable roadmap, I think this thread shows a significant lack of professionalism.
Reminds me more of kindergarden where 5 yrs olds fight over 'who promissed to bring which toy' than a board for professionals creating interactive 2D and 3D software for the masses of non programmers out there to entertain, train, shock or annoy them like hell ;)
I'm no stonetrip representative, just a happy board member like you :)

If you find my portfolio interesting, feel free to contact me or follow my shares on my twitter stream or my game development blog
dreamora
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby flim » 13 Sep 2012, 06:23

codinghero wrote:How about something more appropriate?

Ha, good one.

It is close to the end of 2012 now, the Winter promotion will continue in 2012, or even 2013? :o
flim
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Postby DoctorPepper » 13 Sep 2012, 11:30

Every winter from now on qualifies for the winter promotion. Plus, thanks to shiva's season converter, you can enjoy winter all year long
DoctorPepper
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby codinghero » 18 Sep 2012, 05:18

DoctorPepper wrote:Every winter from now on qualifies for the winter promotion. Plus, thanks to shiva's season converter, you can enjoy winter all year long

Heh. Yeah, recycle the promotions just like the excuses. ;)
james.signature("http://www.codinghero.com");
codinghero
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Postby broozar » 18 Sep 2012, 08:03

Why is everyone complaining about having to pay less.
broozar
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby dtr1au » 18 Sep 2012, 08:52

broozar wrote:Why is everyone complaining about having to pay less.

Sounds funny when you say it like that.
I don't think anyone is complaining about that, they are complaining about not seeing 2.x upgrade in a timely fashion.

I think where the concern comes is that there is a promo that ran during winter (well, it was summer for me), and that promo is still running. It just looks like the site is dead and not maintained (forum excluded), if the site is dead then the real important question comes to mind that is the product dead.

Anyway, I am not going to get into debate about either the license upgrade offer, nor add further complaints about the 2.0 delays. I think everyone here just needs to take the updates as they come, make up their own minds about if they think the product has a future that meets their own needs or if there is better options.
dtr1au
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby badfish » 18 Sep 2012, 10:06

broozar wrote:Why is everyone complaining about having to pay less.

But they are not paying less. Its the real price, unless the sale actually ever ends. I jumped in and bought an Advanced license, since there was only supposed to be 128 of them for a short period. Yet the sale is still on.

Thanks
badfish
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Postby RawenGroup » 18 Sep 2012, 10:33

By the time a new version comes out,
the developers move on to another engine,
what had better support.
RawenGroup
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Postby codinghero » 18 Sep 2012, 17:17

I also think it's hilarious to see the same exact promotion for the same exact product one year later. You know since it never came out. I look forward to seeing the same promotion next year. It's become a nice little tradition.
codinghero
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Postby otester » 21 Sep 2012, 03:41

I very much doubt my next project will be made with ShiVa with the way 2.0 has been handled, at the moment I class it as vaporware.

While Unity seems a bit raw it has a very detailed API compared to ShiVa which at first I never expected to need.
otester
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby Selzier » 21 Sep 2012, 06:16

Here is a list of 30 "Vaporware" games that were eventually finished and released. Some of them were VERY successful, earning game of the year awards, etc.

http://www.metacritic.com/feature/games-that-shed-vaporware-status
Selzier
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby codinghero » 21 Sep 2012, 07:10

Why do you people keep comparing games -inexpensive, wildly popular luxuries- to an oddball game dev RAD tool? By the way, here's a list of products/companies that enjoyed the spotlight then died a pathetic death:

1. Amiga
2. Cisco Flip
3. Izware
4. Microsoft Zune
5. Myspace
6. Palm
7. Sega Dreamcast
8. Silicon Graphics
9. Sun Microsystems
10. Torque

Of course Shiva hasn't achieved half the success of any of those companies/products. Also, do you really intend to compare Stonetrip to companies like Microsoft, Valve, or even 3D Realms? At best they'd hope against hope to be compared to Amazing Studio. You know, the company that went bankrupt after releasing Heart of Darkness. Maybe Stonetrip can aspire to go bankrupt shortly after releasing Shiva 2.0 some time in 2018. Oh I know, they might hit it big and be as successful as Daikatana! Oh wait...
codinghero
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Postby Selzier » 21 Sep 2012, 08:02

From http://www.codinghero.com/:
Hello Shiva == Goodbye Unity - September 30, 2011 12:01am

Perhaps if neither one of these commercial game engine suit your needs, you should take your coding skills and create the next mobile game engine which will achieve the success level of one of these products:

1. Amiga
2. Cisco Flip
3. Izware
4. Microsoft Zune
5. Myspace
6. Palm
7. Sega Dreamcast
8. Silicon Graphics
9. Sun Microsystems
10. Torque

With such a success, I'll bet the last thing on your mind will be the $200 you wasted on Shiva 2.0.
Selzier
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby badfish » 21 Sep 2012, 08:53

Selzier wrote:Here is a list of 30 "Vaporware" games that were eventually finished and released. Some of them were VERY successful, earning game of the year awards, etc.

http://www.metacritic.com/feature/games-that-shed-vaporware-status

Lets hope it does not take as long to see a release as any of them very successful, award winning vaporware games.

Thanks
badfish
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

PreviousNext

Return to Misc