Home Tutorials Download Beta Store Forum Documentation KnowledgeBase Wiki Blog

ShiVa3D

Return to Wish list

Orthogonal camera

You need some features? ask it to us here!

Orthogonal camera

Postby Rayzer2 » 13 Oct 2011, 19:15

Orthogonal camera for a 2D like games is really a "must"
Rayzer2
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Re: Orthogonal camera

Postby flim » 22 May 2012, 06:09

Yes this is a must.
flim
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Postby broozar » 22 May 2012, 07:45

and yet this is a 3d engine.
broozar
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby Rayzer2 » 25 May 2012, 08:22

It is not a valuable justification. There are many 2d games, including made in shiva by me, that required a lot of haks to be implemented. Atm the process is really frustrating and a 2d game I made in Shiva (Halloween Soccer) is the first and last one made with the engine. Atleast unresolved this feature is made available. As a 3d engine its really great.
Rayzer2
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Postby Santo » 25 May 2012, 09:30

Could you, Rayzer2, share (some of) the issues you've encountered while making halloween soccer?
As i'm trying to make a(n almost :D) 2d game, and i'm not informed with such issues and hacks
Shiva 1.9.2 Basic - Shiva 2.0 Beta 1.0
Santo
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Postby berdal84 » 25 May 2012, 10:12

Rayzer2 wrote:Orthogonal camera for a 2D like games is really a "must"

You can do a fake orthogonal camera, changing the focal of the camera.
berdal84
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby Rayzer2 » 25 May 2012, 12:23

It is not a solution, as there is still "perspective distortion". To avoid it as much as possible al game layers must be layed out in the same depth (Z pos). With perspective camera even disregarding perspective distortion you cannot lay out game layers sorting them by the eye (positioning with Z axis for example) which contains alpha on textures as we are facing problem with depth sorting, having to disable Z sorting and sort all layers manually, that action requres us to have separate material for each layer, and if we are talking about 2d character, consisted of many parts, each one required to be at a specific rendering order we introducing additionall draw call for each part. I pointed this problem out in this thread http://www.stonetrip.com/developer/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=23466&p=34786#p34786
On a contrary having native orthographic projection we can use atomatic depth ordering based on e.g. Z position, having only one material for all parts of the unit(s) which allows automatic batcher to render whole unit(s!) only in one draw call. And offcource no sorting issues with surfaces having textures with alpha on them. One more thing is an adequate position of camera in e.g. Z axis (which is not the case when using FOV=1 hack), bare in mind the bigger number lua interpretter have to deal with, the less accuracy you'l have.
Sorry for my poor English.
Rayzer2
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Postby flim » 25 May 2012, 15:02

It's too complicated for me to understand :oops:
flim
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Postby Santo » 25 May 2012, 16:28

Thanks for the answer!!
Your english is clear and understandable (sure it's better than mine :D ), but - as for flim, i think :D - this post will be more clear - and useful - when i'll face directly these issues :)
Shiva 1.9.2 Basic - Shiva 2.0 Beta 1.0
Santo
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Postby flim » 25 May 2012, 16:38

I mean the workaround is too complicated for me.

If I do 2D games I will go back to Unity, the orthogonal camera works great, even free version is OK, because I think 2D games does not need shadow :D
flim
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Postby flim » 28 May 2012, 03:55

Beside for 2D games, I think orthogonal camera is particularly useful in editor, without it, how you precisely place objects in 3d world? :roll:
flim
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Postby broozar » 28 May 2012, 06:09

flim wrote:Beside for 2D games, I think orthogonal camera is particularly useful in editor, without it, how you precisely place objects in 3d world? :roll:

using the numeric input in the attributes editor. you can't be more precise than that.

broozar
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby flim » 28 May 2012, 07:39

Yes, but 3D perspective view is bad for see the "floor plan" of the level, not good for level design.
flim
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Postby Zdrobot » 06 Jul 2012, 08:23

I agree wholeheartedly, proper orthogonal camera is a must-have feature (why is it missing in the first place, I though it has been a standard bread-and-butter thing for like decades?)
Zdrobot
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby Deleted » 24 Feb 2013, 00:20

It's the only feature I miss of Unity.
Deleted
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Next

Return to Wish list