Home Tutorials Download Beta Store Forum Documentation KnowledgeBase Wiki Blog

ShiVa3D

Return to Wish list

Workflow tweaks...

You need some features? ask it to us here!

Workflow tweaks...

Postby r10k » 05 Jun 2009, 13:40

So, here are a few things that'd help with general workflow. If I'm wrong on any of the below, please let me know! (and sorry if they've been mentioned before)

Different display mode settings for the scene viewer in different desktops. This would help in cases where for one desktop I'd like the display mode to be set to a large screen size, while in a code view, have it shrink to a smaller size. At the moment this must be done manually.

Wildcard searches for the fast filter would be helpful.

Being able to create folders personal folders within the default ones, to keep large lists of items organised.

Currently you can't quickly pick an AI model for an object, without having to fish few quite a few menus. Also, while you can click on a light attribute icon in the Scene Explorer and turn a light on and off, you can't click an AI icon to bring up a list of those on an object. That would be a good option to have.

Another option for the above is a material-like picker ( which would be found in the AI editor). When clicking on an object in either the Scene Viewer or Scene Explorer, the menu to pick an AI to open (the same one found by right clicking on an object) would appear. If there's only one AI, that'd quickly open without the menu. This would be much faster than Controllers -> AI -> Edit, etc...

At the moment if you Shift-click an element to hide all others and only show it in the Scene Explorer (such as objects with an AI) Shift-clicking again should reset everything back to the previous selection state. This is how most programs with this kind of 'solo' selection method work. Video editor track selection is an example of this.

Shortcut keys for things like 'close window' or 'close all windows' would be helpful. Closing a scene for example is a very common occurance, at there's no shortcut for it.

An option to regenerate all thumbnails- not just those without thumbnails. Sometimes objects have the wrong ones, and must be rebuilt one at a time, which obviously takes a while.

When a scene is being exited from, it always asks to save, even if nothing has changed. Having to click to confirm is a waste of time- it really should only ask when something has changed in the scene.
r10k
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re:Workflow tweaks...

Postby r10k » 06 Jun 2009, 08:23

Just one more for the above- an icon to show that code has been created for the different parts of a state. At the moment each part must be opened to see if something has been added.
r10k
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby NiCoX » 06 Jun 2009, 15:32

Hi r10k,

Lot (not to say all) of those remarks are totally true, some are already planned, and some ideas are really good (especially the concept of a generalized "attribute/controller picker").

:)
NiCoX
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby r10k » 07 Jun 2009, 05:40

Cool, thanks for considering them! If I come up with anything else, I'll post it here.
r10k
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby r10k » 08 Jun 2009, 16:05

A few more I came up with today (hopefully I won't be coming up with this many every day of the week.. har har).

When closing a scene, it'd be helpful if the text was "close [scene/game/model/etc]" instead of 'scene' for everything. Obviously it's a scebe if it's in the scene viewer, but it'd help as a reminder of what was actually being closed. This is perhaps just a personal preference of mine, but in case you agree, I may as well mention it ;)

I'm not sure how to fix this, but unless you're very careful, currently it seems too easy to save changes to a scene after objects have dynamically moved, meaning their starting positions can be horribly offset.

It'd be helpful to be able to change the order of tabs in editors by dragging them.

A temporary disabler, or a mute, of an AI's handlers/functions/etc would be really handy when testing for issues. A list also perhaps of how many are disabled in a scene would be good, too. The reason for this is because commenting out functions is quite messy, and Shiva complains if you don't get the comment parts exactly right (at one stage even though I had commented everything out, Shiva still claimed the text hadn't been- am not sure if this is a bug or something else, but was using a [[ ]] comment block).

With respect to the right-mouse method, a button for clearing the logs would be good.

Code formatting options (options for spacing, auto-complete, etc).

If possible, code popups happen without having to delete and retype the period (mid-word auto complete).

The ability to search the logs.

A button/option to show only warnings and/or errors in the logs. The four listed in the bottom right are good, but when there's more and they're scattered through the logs, it'd be a handy option to have.

The HUD that's being edited should be named in the HUD editor.
r10k
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby NiCoX » 08 Jun 2009, 16:46

If possible, code popups happen without having to delete and retype the period (mid-word auto complete).

Have you tried Ctrl-Space ? :)

A button/option to show only warnings and/or errors in the logs. The four listed in the bottom right are good, but when there's more and they're scattered through the logs, it'd be a handy option to have.

Have you tried to make a right click on the log ?

For the rest, all are constructive and interesting remarks :)
NiCoX
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby r10k » 08 Jun 2009, 17:57

Have you tried Ctrl-Space ?

Is that in the manual anywhere? If it is, is must be hiding :cheer: That's fantastic, thanks!

Have you tried to make a right click on the log ?

I had noticed right-click in the log, but oddly hadn't checked out what the options did. That's dumb of me, but those options really could use some checkmarks against them, like 'show categories in list' does, since they're effectively on/off buttons. Speaking of that last option, it'd also be good if the option to have it on was saved. It seems to get reset back to off upon closing Shiva (or the game- I'm not sure at this point).
r10k
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Return to Wish list