Home Tutorials Download Beta Store Forum Documentation KnowledgeBase Wiki Blog

ShiVa3D

Return to Wish list

Create non-mesh objects at run-time

You need some features? ask it to us here!

Create non-mesh objects at run-time

Postby mal_CanDo » 09 Jun 2009, 19:55

It would be cool to be able to create non-mesh objects at run-time.

These include...
- Lights
- Cameras
- Helpers ( these are especially useful for creating at run-time )

Of course in the future creating meshes, models, materials and textures would be cool, but for now the above 3 would be a great start :)

Mal
mal_CanDo
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Re:Create non-mesh objects at run-time

Postby NiCoX » 09 Jun 2009, 21:25

Hi,

About the first 3, you can already do it : in the DataExplorer, create une Model of each. Then use scene.createRuntimeObject to instantiate those Models at runtime. Finally, use the camera and light script APIs to modify for instance the camera FOV or the light color.

About resources (meshes, materials, textures...) creation/modification is for the time being not possible, by design.

:)
NiCoX
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby mal_CanDo » 09 Jun 2009, 22:49

Hi NiCoX,
For beginners - and for handiness for more experienced users - being able to just call a scene.createCamera or scene.createHelper would be handy, rather than having to pre-create the items in the models folder and copy them across to the game model folder
mal_CanDo
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Postby dpharaoh » 09 Jun 2009, 23:11

The real benefit to being able to do some of this would be to override some of the properties at runtime, like light colors, and particle properties. In general I really appreciate being intentional about copying models and resources over: it lets me know exactly what I'm going to be packaging. But I can't get at particle properties or light colors that I know of yet.
dpharaoh
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Return to Wish list