Home Tutorials Download Beta Store Forum Documentation KnowledgeBase Wiki Blog

ShiVa3D

Return to Wish list

Bada Platform

You need some features? ask it to us here!

Bada Platform

Postby peter » 10 Dec 2011, 11:15

Do you plan to support bada platform without Marmalade?
peter
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder
 
Posts: 64

Re: Bada Platform

Postby NiCoX » 10 Dec 2011, 16:35

Hi,

For now, this is not planned, as market share is too low and most publishers are currently not interested. But that could change in the future.
User avatar
NiCoX
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
 
Posts: 5644
Location: France

Re: Bada Platform

Postby peter » 27 Jan 2012, 23:33

So tell me when sth change. :)
peter
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder
 
Posts: 64

Re: Bada Platform

Postby dreamora » 28 Jan 2012, 09:21

As long as Bada is only used by Samsung and only for the lower and low mid range devices its pretty granted to not change as it will not gain much momentum with that, likely even shrink with the 'low cost' androids flooding the market and the iPhone 3GS, which is more powerfull than more or less any bada device and more powerfull than the majority of the ARMV6 Android handsets sold at these low prices.
I'm no stonetrip representative, just a happy board member like you :)

If you find my portfolio interesting, feel free to contact me or follow my shares on my twitter stream or my game development blog
User avatar
dreamora
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
 
Posts: 844

Re: Bada Platform

Postby peter » 28 Jan 2012, 12:05

I don't think bada is low-mid devices.

Look at this game for Wave (which isn't newest) http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=JPJXDJzt_04

or this for Wave 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSp11ocpTYY

Isn't they pretty good as like IPhone or hi-end Android games?
I think bada also has hi-end devices, where you can play games with powerful graphics. :)
peter
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder
 
Posts: 64

Re: Bada Platform

Postby dreamora » 28 Jan 2012, 13:39

The samsung wave is technically comparable to the Galaxy S, but the Bada OS isn't to Android and does not get the same hw maker backup so its all Samsung driven (and samsung messed up android 2.1 on galaxy s seriously and galaxy s2 is constantly plagued by gpu driver problems too and the still missing OTA updating leading to many non-updated devices as it requires windows to even do it, so I'm not sure to what degree we are meant to trust in their capability as OS & driver devs - their hw capability and talent is out of question)

The real problem though is that Bada has no market share. It is popular (if at all) only in a handfull of countries. In the vast majority of the western countries and 'monetary interesting asian', its far far far behind android and iOS (in the sense that iOS and android own >> 90% with symbian, windows mobile and rim sharing the other 10% and with bada normally not even listed due to the sub 0.1% share). See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_operating_system for example.
Also Samsung has stated that they don't see Bada as a smartphone OS but as an OS to replace 'dumbphones' so not exactly a target platforms for 3d engines as they likely don't intend to focus on mid and higher end hardware only and if you get low end in again, then marmelade + software renderer become a must (on android its favorable too for simple games that can run on older android versions, thanks to devices of the pre 2.1 class)

Its hard to justify all the effort to support them, even symbian has a significantly larger share and that although that one is in free fall stage for 2 years now share wise.
Marmelade has a reason to do it and thats establishing a 1 for all solution to attract big publishers and alike and that so far has worked for them to a given degree it seems (also thanks to the fact that it can software render target android and symbian). But it comes at a cost like not getting more than a platform independent layer and a simulator

I personally made use of the $150 for 1 year Marmelade Pro, own Shiva Advanced and am happy as I can target whatever I want :)
I'm no stonetrip representative, just a happy board member like you :)

If you find my portfolio interesting, feel free to contact me or follow my shares on my twitter stream or my game development blog
User avatar
dreamora
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
 
Posts: 844


Return to Wish list