Home Tutorials Download Beta Store Forum Documentation KnowledgeBase Wiki Blog

ShiVa3D

Return to Wish list

Full Lua with std libs

You need some features? ask it to us here!

Full Lua with std libs

Postby erpy » 17 Aug 2012, 00:56

Having tried the web edition, I mainly urge to ask that the full Lua language and standard libraries be included in the next version of Shiva.
Also, I couldn't find a page in the docs outlining the differences between standard Lua and StoneScript.

Something like:

Code: Select all
local t={}
local k,v
for k,v in t do
        log.message(k,v)
end

appears to work fine in Shiva, although AFAIK this is not a legal way to iterate in Lua - pairs and ipairs should be used in this case. But apparently iterators "pairs" and "ipairs" have been stripped instead.
This makes it somewhat confusing, either knowing or not knowing Lua before using Shiva.

EDIT:
I forgot to add that some Lua functions seem to be functional in Shiva... just the compiler brags about variables not being declared.
Ex: the "tostring()" function works properly looking at the log output...but the compiler doesn't recognize it and issues an error.
erpy
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Re: Full Lua with std libs

Postby dreamora » 17 Aug 2012, 12:07

StoneScript: It uses the syntax but thats where it ends.
It neither has library / include support nor does it use LUA tables (it maps to an own underlying native object for that purpose)

With Shiva 2 meant to support full lua that will hopefully go away at least in that mode, but naturally it will have other consequences like the impossibility to a C++ export any longer
I'm no stonetrip representative, just a happy board member like you :)

If you find my portfolio interesting, feel free to contact me or follow my shares on my twitter stream or my game development blog
dreamora
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: Full Lua with std libs

Postby erpy » 20 Aug 2012, 22:37

Thanks for the info. I'm glad they'll be extending support to full Lua.
Hopfully they'll Jit compile it, even without c++ conversion.
It's a bit frustrating knowing a language and not being able to use it. :)
erpy
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Return to Wish list