Home Tutorials Download Beta Store Forum Documentation KnowledgeBase Wiki Blog

ShiVa3D

Return to External tools

Messiah:Studio v5 'Dare to Share' promo for just $10 or $40

Tools for ShiVa...

Re: Messiah:Studio v5 'Dare to Share' promo for just $10 or $40

Postby dreamora » 08 Feb 2011, 15:19

pedroasecas wrote:Did you buy a license too, Dreamora? Let's hope the progress bar fills up quickly. The news have been spreading through cg forums and sites like wildfire, so I bet the wait will be over very soon. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

the answer is a word with 3 letters from {E,S,Y} ;-)

also spread it through twitter
I'm no stonetrip representative, just a happy board member like you :)

If you find my portfolio interesting, feel free to contact me or follow my shares on my twitter stream or my game development blog
dreamora
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby pedroasecas » 08 Feb 2011, 15:27

@dreamora: cool, a puzzle! I love those! :D The answer is EYS, isn't it? or was it SYE? Damned memory... anyway, do I get the prize? :)
pedroasecas
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby dreamora » 08 Feb 2011, 15:40

*hands dodo a cookie ;)*
I'm no stonetrip representative, just a happy board member like you :)

If you find my portfolio interesting, feel free to contact me or follow my shares on my twitter stream or my game development blog
dreamora
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby pedroasecas » 08 Feb 2011, 15:43

*dodo inhales and out goes a...* em, how does a dodo sound? woody, like a dead parrot maybe? delicious cookie that... ;)
pedroasecas
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby hde » 08 Feb 2011, 16:10

OK i just ordered too the pro version. After the end of Truepace i searched for a new CG solution for a while. I hope we reach the target.
hde
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby toovy » 08 Feb 2011, 16:11

Ok, I'm in too! :D
toovy
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Postby shivachristy » 08 Feb 2011, 16:16

according to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messiah_(software)

This software doesn´t do modelling

So as far as I can tell its only use is in the rigging, I did find an auto rigging feature in the demo.

Have people bought the 40 or 10 dollar version.
http://cur.lv/1x0wx via an ad! Thanks
shivachristy
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby dpharaoh » 08 Feb 2011, 17:08

The pro version here. Don't forget to share!
dpharaoh
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby 8DashP » 08 Feb 2011, 22:09

I'm still on the fence.

While at face value it looks like a steal, I have some concerns

1. It needs a hardware dongle? I thought they went out with my Amiga 20 years ago? My Macbook doesn't have any spare ports once I put my mouse and iPhone in as it is.

2. Mac/Windows - I use macs, but Shiva being Windows is where most of my development is currently being done. But only in VM's at home, so memory/cpu is restricted if I don't use a Mac version....

3. Is this a dump & run by the company? Are they trying to get as much cash as they can before closing shop?

4. Blender integration, since that's all I'e been using so far. People seem to say it works, but I'm having a hard time finding that sort of info on the product pages.
Russell - http://store.synapticbytes.com - Software Store now open, including ShiVa3D assets
Checkout sbPhysics, the bullet physics plugin, plus the Partifex particle libraries on the store
8DashP
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby shivachristy » 10 Feb 2011, 18:08

I also still can't decide,

Has this product been around years?
Or is this a scam,

I had never heard of it.

Its a great marketing idea for software and for getting a big user base.

Having played with the demo it seems to be just like blender, virtually impossible to use but packed full of features.

The crunch question is does it import straight into shiva?

I asked someone on the IRC chat thing to send me any model as an fbx or anything but was told It worked. A cube would have been enough.

I have too much experience to trust that statement!

Someone from this forum needs to convince me its vale la pena! (worth it)

:?
http://cur.lv/1x0wx via an ad! Thanks
shivachristy
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby hde » 10 Feb 2011, 18:16

Project Messiah is a player in cgworld now for a long time. I can't really imagine that they plan to scam you. But to be honest, $10 or $40 is a manageable risk for the chance to get this software.
hde
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby pedroasecas » 10 Feb 2011, 18:31

@shivachristy: Te contesto en español. Al parecer empezó como un Plugin de LightWave hace más de 10 años y la compañía no parece estar en dificultades económicas por ahora (de acuerdo a algunos posts en CGTalk y otros foros), así que no creo que sea un timo :). Creo que simplemente quieren aumentar la base de usuarios y posiblemente mantenerla en un futuro con actualizaciones pagadas, más baratas que comprar el software.

Según lo que he leído, no creo que exporte directamente a Shiva aún (el exportador DAE no parece que esté completo), pero quizá solo necesite un paso extra, o bien el conversor FBX de autodesk (si éste exporta animaciones) o Ultimate Unwrap 3D, que sí exporta animaciones de FBX (o de casi cualquier otro formato) a DAE. Espero que esto ayude. Un abrazo, compatriota :).

Y ahora en inglés, a beneficio de todos.

@shivachristy: It started life as a LightWave plugin more than ten years ago, so I don't think this is a scam and the company doesn't seem to be in any financial troubles as of now (according to some posts at CGTalk and other forums), so it doesn't look like a scam to me. I believe they just want to increase their user base, and possibly keep all the new users with future paid upgrades, way cheaper than buying the software.

From what I gather I don't think it exports directly to Shiva yet (the DAE exporter doesn't seem to be complete at this moment) but it might just need an extra step, either Autodesk's FBX Converter (if it is able to convert animations) or Ultimate Unwrap 3D, which does export animations from FBX (or from many other formats as well) to DAE. I hope this helps.
pedroasecas
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby michax » 10 Feb 2011, 18:40

XSI had a great deal way back when they were owned by Avid. They did a "foundation" version for £299 during versions 5.11 and 6. I bought it. Never looked back.

Redmotion, lucky you :) I love XSI and i considered buying fundation :/ But i was to slow. Everytime i see ICE i have tear in my eye.

For now i'm using XSI Mod Tools for fun and Blender for private work. And i silently hope for messiah global ilumination and baking feature :) It would be great addition to my game pipeline.

I would recommend messiah mostly because of lack of cheap GI renders with baking features on the market.
I know that messiah should be praised because of animation tools but for me blender is good enough.
michax
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby broozar » 10 Feb 2011, 19:51

so it's generous if a company gives its softare away for free (unity), but if they charge you 10 or 40 bucks to do advertising for them (viral marketing), they (messiah) are in financial trouble ;) or what
broozar
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

PreviousNext

Return to External tools