Home Tutorials Download Beta Store Forum Documentation KnowledgeBase Wiki Blog

ShiVa3D

Return to Final Work

Dust: Offroad Racing

Final work

Dust: Offroad Racing

Postby makkar » 24 Feb 2012, 01:03

Hello,

I'd like to introduce a new freemium game published a couple days ago in the Android Market named "Dust: Offroad Racing". The app is free to play, players can earn virtual currency by winning races, with in-app purchases, or earn free coins through the Tapjoy ad network in order to upgrade their cars or access new tracks.

The game was designed and published by Catmoon Productions Ltd, all artwork (3D models, textures, sounds, music) were provided by them.

Archimmersion Ltd was hired to take all these assets and create the game using ShiVa. Originally the game was designed to have poorer visual appearance then you can see on these screenshots. During development we experienced very good performance with the rather strong target test devices ( e.g. HTC Sensation, Sony Experia Play, etc.) so it was decided to put some more eye-candy options into the game. All in all we were pleased to see how well the engine ran on these devices with so many dynamic objects active at the same time. Even dynamic shadows can be enabled but running the game smoothly with that option is the privilege of only the latest and strongest devices.

Special thanks go to Modern Alchemists for their help with their ShiVa Libs.

If you happen to play the game, don't hold your opinion back, all user reviews are welcome either here or in the Market.

Note: The game is targeted at higher-end devices, please review the complete game description in the Market. If you run the game on weaker devices, we would still like to hear how fast it went. There are performance options so you might achieve acceptable framerates.

Android:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.catmoonproductions.dust

iOS:
http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/dust-offroad-racing/id520517073?mt=8

Dust_01.jpg

Dust_04.jpg

Dust_09.jpg
Last edited by makkar on 01 Aug 2012, 09:45, edited 1 time in total.
makkar
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: Dust: Offroad Racing

Postby gamescorpion » 24 Feb 2012, 07:45

makkar...

AMAZIN!

Great job!!! :)

10/10!

Nav
Game Scorpion Inc. http://www.gamescorpion.com
Armies of Riddle Collectible Card Game: http://www.ArmiesOfRiddle.com
gamescorpion
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby psychicsoftware » 24 Feb 2012, 13:24

That looks really well polished, well done!
Will definitely check it out later :-)

edit: I see you're getting some poor reviews due to not supporting SD-card installation. I saw the same thing before with one of my games.. very easy to add, you should do that ASAP.
psychicsoftware
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby gn0me » 24 Feb 2012, 15:49

Game looks really cool.
To bad of that reviews. People are.. hmmm.. nvm.
| Shiva 1.9.2b2 / Celeron G530 / HD 6770 | Android 4.04 |
gn0me
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Postby makkar » 24 Feb 2012, 17:34

psychicsoftware wrote:I see you're getting some poor reviews due to not supporting SD-card installation. I saw the same thing before with one of my games.. very easy to add, you should do that ASAP.

The manifest already has the option android:installLocation="preferExternal" and the game got installed on the SD Card on all of our test devices.

So I don't know what elso should we do to really force it on the card. Or if this is enough, then how can it happen that these users get it on internal memory?
makkar
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby psychicsoftware » 24 Feb 2012, 18:03

Did you choose API level 8 or above? That's required for SD card installation.

edit: ur.. you need to make sure the android app store copy protection is turned off too, that stops sdcard install from working

The problem with these voting systems is that 99% of satisfied customers say nothing, but 50% of annoyed ones do.

edit2: on my xperia play it's failing to install, it's been stuck on 'Installing' for an hour. Perhaps not enough space?
psychicsoftware
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby makkar » 24 Feb 2012, 18:35

I think we have "minsdk=8". And it really gets installed in the sdcard on all our devices.

But uploading to the market was done by the publisher, I hope he didn't check Copy Protection. I'll ask him.

The uploaded apk is 43MB large, but the Market says the game's size is 86MB. How come?
makkar
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby psychicsoftware » 24 Feb 2012, 18:38

Thats sounds like copy protection, yes. It massively increases filesize.
psychicsoftware
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby dtr1au » 25 Feb 2012, 00:00

Congrats on the release.

I started writing something along the lines of the framerate being poor on my ASUS Transformer (TF101, Tegra2), but went back to test before i finished posting and noticed something..

Initially i thought the framerate was bad, even making the game not enjoyable, however i suspect it might just be the chase camera needing some "tweaking". Incar framerate is fine.

When you start a race and you have the camera at a distance (where it then zooms onto the car) the framerate is really smooth and nice, but when the camera reaches the car and is in "chase" mode it becomes very "choppy" and gives an illusion of a low framerate.

Hope you know what i mean and tweak it a bit to make it more enjoyable. Let me know if you need a better explanation than the above and I will try reword.
dtr1au
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby gamescorpion » 25 Feb 2012, 06:04

gn0me wrote:Game looks really cool.
To bad of that reviews. People are.. hmmm.. nvm.

YES I AGREE - Too many people rate developer apps badly.

Everyone has a different taste, and issue is u get the people with those different tastes who dont like ur app in the first place, trying it out and then obviously giving it a bad review.

But hey, what matters is SALES. This app LOOKS LIKE A WINNER and so as long as the sales are good and keep increasing.

Nav
Game Scorpion Inc. http://www.gamescorpion.com
Armies of Riddle Collectible Card Game: http://www.ArmiesOfRiddle.com
gamescorpion
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby makkar » 26 Feb 2012, 10:34

psychicsoftware wrote:Thats sounds like copy protection, yes. It massively increases filesize.

I asked the publisher how they placed the app in the Market and it seems from their answer that they indeed had copy protection turned on. They promised to switch it off.

I see that in the market the size is already halved to 43 MB.

Now someone might mention sd card compatibility in the user reviews if that is really the case :)

Thanks for the tip!
makkar
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby Dany0 » 26 Feb 2012, 16:19

Lags considerably on HTC Desire :? Looks like this is GL2(realtime shadows). Mind releasing a Low Quality version(glES1.1) for older devices? An option for turning off particles would be nice too. Thanks.

EDIT:
Lags on a Desire Z as well =/ Bummer.
Shiva 2.0.
Dany0
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Postby makkar » 27 Feb 2012, 11:15

Particles option is a good idea.

We found that dynamics was responsible for the largest FPS drop and that is CPU bound. It is six cars moving on uneven terrain, after all. Does it lag in practice mode, too, when you have only one car in the scene? Also, did you try completely switching off shadows, even blobs, and turning off HQ Terrain options for better FPS?

I doubt that separate lower quality game versions will be available, but all decisions are up to the publisher.
makkar
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby Dany0 » 27 Feb 2012, 16:49

Yes it's hard to play no matter what mode/options I set. GL1 would make a huge boost.
Shiva 2.0.
Dany0
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Postby makkar » 27 Feb 2012, 22:12

OpenGL1.1 would really mean that a separate version would be required, because blob shadows and modulated materials don't work there. So having OGL1.1 and OGL2 options in one app is not an option.

Isn't yours the same case as dtr1au's?

dtr1au wrote:When you start a race and you have the camera at a distance (where it then zooms onto the car) the framerate is really smooth and nice, but when the camera reaches the car and is in "chase" mode it becomes very "choppy" and gives an illusion of a low framerate.

Actually, we had noticed this before and made enhancements to the chase camera code. It appeared to be solved on the test devices of which the weakest one was a Samsung Galaxy S Wifi 5.0 tablet ( 1 GHz ARM Cortex-A8 CPU, PowerVR SGX540 GPU). How do your Desire phones compare to this tablet performace wise?

Edit: I compared them on GLBenchmark. The leftmost is the Galaxy S Wifi 5.0, then the Desire, and the two on the right side are our stronger target devices:

http://www.glbenchmark.com/compare.jsp?benchmark=glpro21&showhide=true&certified_only=1&D1=Samsung%20YP-G70%20Galaxy%20Player%205.0&D2=HTC%20Desire%20(Bravo)&D3=HTC%20Sensation%20Z710e&D4=Samsung%20GT-i9100%20Galaxy%20S2

Desire was quite weaker than Sony Experia Play, the other target device we had.

What about Desire Z? I didn't find it in GlBenchmak site.
makkar
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Next

Return to Final Work