Home Tutorials Download Beta Store Forum Documentation KnowledgeBase Wiki Blog

ShiVa3D

Return to Getting Started

Isometric game with Shiva?  [SOLVED]

You feel lost? You don't understand how to use ShiVa?

Isometric game with Shiva?

Postby DeLouka » 22 Feb 2012, 14:36

Hi all,

I am wondering if it is possible to make a Farmville like isometric 2D game with shiva3d? As you can see this is my first post and I have no prior experience in shiva, therefore I call your help. Our company wants to make this game as PR stunt, however our expertise is not game developments, and I need to figure out what engine to invest in.

The 2D game we are envisioning however would be a fairly simple android/iphone/wp7 app: one character would walk around in a farmville like world, where he can do simple actions like catch a ball that is "thrown" by the user. However, it should be possible to add a high variety of objects to the world, like a swimming pool, some different houses, a cocktail bar, ... (hence the farmville touch :p).

Some requirements that we have:
- Fixed camera angle (can translate over the "world")
- Accessible from basic android phone, not locking out rather low end devices.
- Not all objects should be 3D models (too intensive with the variety of objects we want to implement, would prefer simple 2D drawings fit for isometric use)
- Cartoon like look
- the character could be an animated 3D model or a 2d sprite.
- easily portray emotions of the character (e.g. using this kind of things http://www.webkey2.nl/btv/images2/tekstballon_met_tekens.bmp )
- Realistic interaction of character and environment.

I know this might not be a complete description of the game and maybe extra info is needed, but if you have any questions I would be glad to reply :)

Thanks in advance,
Louka
DeLouka
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Re: Isometric game with Shiva?  [SOLVED]

Postby error454 » 27 Feb 2012, 16:49

Well, you can certainly do a fixed camera angle for your game. Typically for isometric games you want an isomorphic camera view and Shiva does not do that right now. If you can live with perspective in your demo, Shiva can do the rest I believe. The minimum supported Android version is 2.1.

It sounds like you are more interested in using billboards with spritemaps instead of 3d models. If you want realistic interaction with the world, you can buildup models in Shiva that consist of billboards and sensors. The sensors and meshes used to define them are invisible but allow you to use dynamics and detect collisions with ease.

If there aren't any 3d models then you could fake the isomorphic camera just by you artwork and then putting those on a flat plane with a high focal length camera setting sufficiently far away from the plane.
error454
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: Isometric game with Shiva?

Postby DeLouka » 27 Feb 2012, 20:38

Thanks for your reply :).. It's good to know that there are different possibilities and use the capabilities even in 2D.

I am going to try out shiva a bit and see what results I can get using either technique you described :)
DeLouka
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Return to Getting Started