Home Tutorials Download Beta Store Forum Documentation KnowledgeBase Wiki Blog

ShiVa3D

Return to Creation

- Blender to Shiva - Working DAE Export -

Shaders, Level design, Sound design, Special effects

- Blender to Shiva - Working DAE Export -

Postby ThunderZ » 03 Aug 2010, 09:26

Hello Shiva community ;)

After a time without free time to code (but following shiva info ;)), i restard some test and shiva prototype for personnal game project.

One of the main thing for indie that is a "black point" for shiva is the pipeline part that in general use blender.

Shiva as all user support only COLLADA in import.
That is for the long time an exellent choice but for now that is a weakness beacause of the very bad support of the DCC tools.

After some time of work and learning a little blender + collada format and shiva for some specifique thing.
An working Blender to Shiva Export with Collada is working :)

I'm writing a tutorial for that.
I'm french and a very bad writer, so i'll need some help after the first publication (like an beta) for help me correcting my bad english.

I want to thanks a lot the work of friends, MadPXL (http://www.madpxl.com/) and Keiisu for the model without them and the time we pass with MadPXL this tutorial can't be here today.

Thanks Guys ;)

For waiting just a little mockup with screens :)
nota: link to 1600x1200 version

ThunderZ
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: - Blender to Shiva - Working DAE Export -

Postby broozar » 03 Aug 2010, 11:33

hi, excellent! though english is not my native language, i am willing to look through your tut for sure and eventually put it up on the WIKI.
broozar
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby pataya » 03 Aug 2010, 13:56

BIG nice !! i love result
pataya
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby Steaph » 03 Aug 2010, 22:15

OOOh! That's a good news! Thanks :D

If you want some help to translate your paper, don't hesitate to PM me. I'm a French native speaker, but quiet fluent in English.
Steaph
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby Maydayz » 10 Aug 2010, 14:34

Hope to see/read something in the near future. :D
Maydayz
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Postby ThunderZ » 11 Aug 2010, 20:07

Yes sorry for the delay, I've irl activity with work at my house and has an old
windows mobile project which is out within two days from Astraware (after I give
all my free time to Shiva :wink: ).
ThunderZ
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby Markuzzzz » 13 Aug 2010, 07:10

Which version of blender did you use?
Markuzzzz
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby ThunderZ » 13 Aug 2010, 09:54

model was done on the 2.49 because this model is an game mode from an project my friend MadPXL start long time ago.

But, for the actual export and for this tutorial, the blender version is the 2.53 (the last official stable beta release that you can found on http://www.blender.org/).

Blender 2.5x (and 2.6) is the futur version of blender, and for us the better we can us because of the built in collada export :)
ThunderZ
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby Markuzzzz » 13 Aug 2010, 11:27

Where can I find this tutorial? I can review it for you if you like?

kind regards,

Markus
Markuzzzz
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby ThunderZ » 13 Aug 2010, 12:10

As i say i'm actually writing this tutorials.

I've only very few time those last day because of work i'm doing in my house for my baby and for finish my new web site for the last windows mobile (brad mtichum) i've done.

After that i'll be full time on shiva and with this community ;)
I'll try to finish the tutorial as soon as possible :)
ThunderZ
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby Markuzzzz » 16 Aug 2010, 07:04

Hi again,

I have a question. I created a model in Blender 2.53 Alpha 5 and rigged it. Then I created an simple animation in Blender. I Blender the animation looks good, model is posed at 0,0,0. No I import it into Shiva, all goes well, I get the model and animbanks accordingly. Now when I play it the model gets deformed the wrong way. When I look at the skeleton, it seems to be at a higher point then the model (in blender its not the case). Therefore the animation is not right. Did you also had this problem?

kind regards,

Mark
Markuzzzz
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby ThunderZ » 16 Aug 2010, 07:40

yes and that part of the tutorials for doing an GOOD export to shiva ;)

I PM you if it's urgent for you to correct ;)
ThunderZ
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby neilb » 19 Sep 2010, 11:52

I think I've finally figured it out too, based on the bird pictures above. As I can't find the tutorial ThunderZ is working on or any posts that detail the exact method, I'll post the key points that made it work for me, and it's actually pretty simple.

Both the armature and the model need to be located at (0, 0, 0) and the scale needs to be (1, 1, 1). The key point that I've been missing is the bone that is between the feet in the attached picture of the robot. Any bones that don't have a parent (in this situation, the spine and hip bones) need to parented to this "root" bone, which must also be positioned at (0, 0, 0). Doing this seems to force the parent-less bones to stay in place when the file is imported.

Using this, I've been able to import an animation for the robot (rotations only, no scaling or translation were in the animation) into Shiva and it's animating perfectly. I haven't had time to experiment to see if it works in every situation, so there may be further secrets in the tutorial when it is revealed.

Note:
The export was performed using the latest Windows version of Blender 2.54 in Virtual Box from the Blender.org website, the Linux version won't produce a valid DAE file on my machine.
neilb
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby ThunderZ » 19 Sep 2010, 17:01

well the tutorials don't do lot of more just an following way to do an correct export. ;)

2/3 more things :
-> model and armature need to be exactly in same pose at start (that the most important)
-> model animation is tagged at 60 fps under shiva and converted in import if your blender animation is different
-> don't forget the glsl draw of blender to be desactivated to see normal face if you have an model like the low poly crow with only simple face for wings for exemple.
ect..
ect..
;)

Grats for you good export ;)
As i've allready say blender is now an good and viable dcc tool for shiva ;)
ThunderZ
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby neilb » 19 Sep 2010, 22:21

Thanks for discovering this, ThunderZ. I've been trying to find a way of getting animations out of Blender since I bought Shiva earlier this year, and I really didn't want to have to buy Windows software since I was hoping to finally get rid of my Windows virtual machine once the unified version of Shiva comes out.
neilb
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Next

Return to Creation