Home Tutorials Download Beta Store Forum Documentation KnowledgeBase Wiki Blog

ShiVa3D

Return to Bugs

BUG> editor memory leak when using ocean and physics

Report bugs and issues

BUG> editor memory leak when using ocean and physics

Postby jdebroy » 18 Aug 2012, 17:23

I have been programming and testing a game based on the buoyancy demo I recently posted here http://www.stonetrip.com/developer/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=26404.

The issue described here can be reproduced using that demo. The program uses ocean and dynamics, few objects, a Hud, nothing complex.

My developer pc> Fujitsu laptop 17", win7 ultimate, 2GB ram, centrino duo 1.8GHz , ATI radeon mobility 2600 with 512MB video RAM.

Problem description>
Initially I experimented sudden editor crashes about 10 minutes after I started editing the project. It just exited and showed the send feedback boxes. Fortunately almost nothing was lost because everything is saved before a test run. I noted some slowness in the computer just before Shiva crashed.

What I found>
When it became annoying I decided to monitor system resources using processhacker and the everest utility that shows cpu utilization, memory and other parameters in realtime.

I found that on this particular project the Shiva editor starts "eating" system memory, in around 10MB chunks every few seconds, specially after the first time the project is test run on the editor. Usually the computer shows around 1200MB of free memory when shiva is started but it starts consuming memory as I described. In a matter of minutes I have less than 100MB of free memory, and that is when Shiva crashes.
Testing other projects, it does not happen.

If the project is exported and compiled, and I run it on Windows or Mac, no matter how long the program is running, it does not increment its memory requirements. The problem only is happening on the editor. For checking the compiled executable performance I used processhacker (on PC) and on the Mac I used activity monitor.

It sure looks like an editor memory leak. Processhacker shows that shiva is ocuppying about 1.5GB just before the crash.
jdebroy
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Re: BUG> editor memory leak when using ocean and physics

Postby DoctorPepper » 18 Aug 2012, 17:41

Could it be that you are spawning helper objects, cameras, textures or hud elements on each frame without cleaning them up?
DoctorPepper
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby jdebroy » 18 Aug 2012, 17:54

DrPepper,
What you say could be attributed to a runtime issue, but the problem happens without running the program but when am scripting or doing other stuff in the editor, with the program on stop, even with the scene unloaded after a run.

There should be no runtime errors when the program is stopped.
jdebroy
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Postby peter » 21 Aug 2012, 00:31

Yeah, Shiva usually works well, but sometimes can crash even 3 times a day.
peter
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Postby NiCoX » 21 Aug 2012, 12:11

Hi,

Ok just checked in the current 1.9.x development editor and I do not experiment the leak. As it is also not present in the latest beta UAT, guess it has been fixed since 1.9.1.
NiCoX
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby jdebroy » 21 Aug 2012, 17:14

NiCox, while it is good to know that the development version does not present the problem, maybe it would be better to check if there is some record about it on the development bug fix list. I know these problems are hard to find, specially because every computer can have different driver versions or similar.
Do you have a computer with the current release 1.9.1 so you can test if you can reproduce the problem?
jdebroy
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Postby MarkusR » 25 Aug 2012, 07:40

i had sililar problems that the editor/viewer crashed often for no reason,
i solved it with duplicate the scene
and also i clean up some temp files from terrain.
MarkusR
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Return to Bugs