Home Tutorials Download Beta Store Forum Documentation KnowledgeBase Wiki Blog

ShiVa3D

Return to Introduction

A new member who thinks about Shiva

Tell us who you are, what you do...

A new member who thinks about Shiva

Postby Crystal Noir » 08 Jan 2011, 23:05

Hi everyone :)

I'm very very new to Shiva and very very new to 3D modeling.

For many years, I love the multimedia creation like 2D games, animations, drawing, modeling etc...but it's not my professional activity, just a very exiting hobby.

I'm a newbie in the 3D models creation or 3D modeling in general. In fact I 've used some premade models for my tests or pleasure. I've tested for example 3DGS but I think the code is not very affordable.

I already have some experience in coding but their Lite-C : I don't understand the logic of this language.

Today, I want to learn the 3D modeling and I've started with Blender 2.5 (yeah), very cool software. And, in add, I have today the possibility to make a gift myself, and I consider Shiva to make in application what I learn in Blender and to do some things with 3D models.

I've taken a look at the forum, the tutorial but on the web I didn't find any ressources about it ? The documention seems to be "partial" too. So I don't know what to think :)

But for an affordable price I can have a very cool engine that works on the web, android, PC etc... very interesting and we have some cool features (almost all) like the shadows (if I want to compare to Unity, other plateform dev is expensive and the free version doesn't have shadow...)

I wonder if I take the opportunity or not :) may be you could help me to have a best view to Shiva :)

Thank you everyone :) and please, excuse me for mistakes I'm a french user and my english isn't always very good.

(For a "french product", I'm surprised to not see some french community or stonetrip site in french :cry: )

Crystal Noir
Crystal Noir
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Re: A new member who thinks about Shiva

Postby dtr1au » 09 Jan 2011, 01:00

Welcome,
Shiva is a very nice product indeed.

You just need spend time getting to know the engine, and the stonescript language. I personally found it a little confusing at first with how AI models communicate with each other etc, however once you understand that, everything will start to fall into place and you see it really is very simple.

As for the documentation, there should be enough for most people to get going, just work through Shando's book and then look through tutorials and samples and try to understand them, and remember chances are someone has asked your questions before you, so use the forum and search.

Regarding the french thing, when i first came across shiva a large amount of the forum posts were not english, however the international community grew very fast, and it became important for the forums to begin to support the majority. (and most the french speaking forum members could speak english anyway - well i think they did anyway, otherwise their translators were damn good). So in the end there was just to much international 'demand' and stonetrip requested english be used on the forums. It was the right decision.

Anyway, good luck with learning these tools and again, welcome to the community.
dtr1au
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby dtoliaferro » 09 Jan 2011, 04:55

Welcome Crystal Noir!

I am also new to ShiVa and just joined the forum. I came from Unity.

Having fun with Blender so far? I've been trying to learn it on and off for awhile, but now that I've settled on an engine I feel like finally baring down and getting to it. Have you seen the 2.55 beta? It's got a lot of great new features, built-in Python, plus a more stream-lined interface. I can't wait for the stable release!

dtr1au wrote:As for the documentation, there should be enough for most people to get going, just work through Shando's book...

Hi dtr1au. I'm asking this here because it will most likely be important to Crystal Noir as well. I noticed that Shando's book was written for an earlier version of ShiVa (1.7 I believe), but there are updates for the book up until ShiVa 1.8.1. I'm wondering how compatible the book is with the current version of ShiVa (I'm using 1.9.0.1). Should I downgrade to 1.8.1 for the book, or could I proceed with the latest version?

Thanks in advance!

Crystal Noir, BTW here's the link to the book: http://www.stonetrip.com/developer/320-shandos-shiva-book

Good luck!
dtoliaferro
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby Crystal Noir » 09 Jan 2011, 11:32

Hi there ;)

I've already download this book :) I'm searching some doc for myself in the Tutorials section.

Thank you !

For the french or english, it's not a problem in fact, for the forum etc... but for the documentation it's an other thing. We have the possiblity to turn the software in french (very cool), but why the documentation is still in english for us ;)

But it's really not a problem :)

I think shiva is a great product because we are be able to make all that we wants and not only games : 3D applications, photo galery, 3D video player etc.. etc...

May be I'm going to let my mind takes the money bag and buy it :mrgreen:
Crystal Noir
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Return to Introduction