Home Tutorials Download Beta Store Forum Documentation KnowledgeBase Wiki Blog

ShiVa3D

Return to Introduction

Hello from DownUnder

Tell us who you are, what you do...

Hello from DownUnder

Postby astrix » 03 Aug 2012, 08:50

Hi ShiVa Community:

Thought I’d drop u a line today & introduce myself in between Dev’ing my project & watching the Olympics on the tube, which most Aussie’s would attest (Well I’m a transplanted Kiwi) are sports mad & barrack for anything with an Aussie flag or colour’s on it, until it comes to Rugby Union then I’m an All Black tragic thru n thru heh, heh...

Anyway’s I’ve always had an innate fascination with electronic technology since childhood, I guess u could say I was “THAT” kid that would exclaim “WHAT’S THIS BUTTON DO” & press it or reassemble any gadget while Mum was’nt watching, at that time my 12yr old mind couldn’t comprehend why they always ceased to function & curiously there was always a distressing pile of bits n pieces left over which promptly found their way under the carpet then I would warp to another location to avoid the inevitable parental repercussions Opps! I digress heh, heh...

I’ve tested other 3D engines but found ShiVa had answered most of my queries in terms of portability, framework & support in game development & as a consequence learned its eccentricities for the most part & its gown on me. I have limited exposure to Java OOP courtesy of a 2yr diploma TAFE package I completed in 06, so basically I’m starting from scratch & loving it thus far.

Mobile gaming in my humble opinion is the way forward for noob’s such as myself who want to go “Sick” & create k.....s games heh, heh... Currently my prototype is raw but stable, I’m creating the UI plus level design at the moment, heaps of coding & bug finding whilst using third party DCC suites.

At this point I must give a “BIGGG SHOUT OUT” to the user generated tute’s & contributions u r awesome a godsend so thankyou very, very much appreciated. My game is morphing to a behemoth another 6mths work on the horizon Oh! it’s a 1st / 3rd Pers Military Mech Shooter set in the near future post apocalyptic world tentatively targeted to Android OS Nexus7 Tab & Galaxy S3 Smartphone platforms.

In closing (Sorry for the long post) I like to address a couple of questions to the ShiVa developers if I may:

a) Was the intention primarily aimed at capturing a wider user base when writing ShiVa rather than the revenue stream business model employed by Epic’s Unreal dev kit? and

b) Whilst in development was the Kismet visual scripting system ever tested or something similar considered as a viable fit within ShiVa’s framework?

Thankyou in Advance:
Cheers:)
astrix
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Re: Hello from DownUnder

Postby dtr1au » 03 Aug 2012, 09:11

Hey Astrix,
Welcome to the shiva community and nice to see a fellow aussie, there are a few on here.
Im based in sunny (yer right) Canberra.

Looking forward to seeing what you make.
dtr1au
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby astrix » 03 Aug 2012, 11:28

Cool thanks dtr1au,

Yeah I'm from 4 seasons in day Melbourne lol, also I recall when I was finding my ShiVa legs I downloaded your video tute "Spaceshooter" in creating a 2D game it was a little gem. Got a lot from it & its saved in .ste format in my bloated game's assets folder & I still reference it from time to time thankyou.

Cheers :)
astrix
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby Shando69 » 03 Aug 2012, 11:39

Hi Astrix,

Another fellow Aussie (I'm from the Sunny Coast in QLD) is good to see 8)

Welcome to the ShiVa community!

Look forward to seeing some of your creation in the near future :mrgreen:

Regards

Shando
Love Hope Strength

Further details: http://www.lovehopestrength.co.uk/

One Cancer Centre in every Country, One Concert at a Time
Shando69
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Postby shivachristy » 03 Aug 2012, 12:35

Im watching the olympics via streaming and have just seen the ladies beat the aussies in the rowing. Welcome.
http://cur.lv/1x0wx via an ad! Thanks
shivachristy
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby astrix » 03 Aug 2012, 15:22

Hi Shando69 & shivachristy,

Shando your book saved yours truly's sanity more than once when I was muddling my way thru ShiVa's API, suffice to say that little guy EggBeak led me to the light lol.

Yeah the girls were awsome shivachristy the Brit's sure know how to put on a great show I reackon their gold medal tally going to outstrip the Aussies BUGGER!! lol.

Cheers:)
astrix
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby shivachristy » 03 Aug 2012, 18:04

yeah sorry I dont know whats happened rowing and cycling seem to be our thing at the moment. I guess its a lot less effort than football or 1500mm running for 1 gold.
http://cur.lv/1x0wx via an ad! Thanks
shivachristy
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Return to Introduction