Home Tutorials Download Beta Store Forum Documentation KnowledgeBase Wiki Blog

ShiVa3D

Return to News

ShiVa 1.8.1 beta available !

Re:ShiVa 1.8.1 beta available !

Postby Yopia » 13 Dec 2009, 17:58

hi,

You have to register to the program named 'ShiVa Editor 1.8.1 beta 1.0'.
The 1.8.0 is over since the official release !
Yopia
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby Markuzzzz » 14 Dec 2009, 08:20

Ok, I think thats the problem, I didn't subscribe to 1.8.1. Its confusing because I already subscribed for 1.8, I figure I want to subscribe automatically for each new version of 1.8.x.

Kind regards,

Markus

PS: Somehow the link should be removed for 1.8 beta 4.0, its not working. This is for sure :)
http://www.nifty-inspirations.com, because simple things are hard to find!
Markuzzzz
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby dpharaoh » 16 Dec 2009, 20:22

scene.combineRuntimeObjectsGroup

Does combining objects into a group at runtime (or design time) give a performance increase? Or is this just for scene/logical management purposes?
dpharaoh
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby NiCoX » 16 Dec 2009, 20:58

Hi,

Indeed it is better to draw 1 time an object with 1000 triangles, than 1000 times an object with only 1 triangle. We usually speak of "number of draw calls", meaning number of time we have to submit a primitives batch to the GPU. Lesser is better. On a computer, you can get a descent frame rate with up to 1000 draw calls (but lesser is better, 1000 is a high limit). But on iPhone 3G for instance, more than 30 draw calls is a maximum (count 10 to get 30 fps).

The engine integrates a runtime batcher, that will combine at runtime all suitable primitives. But because this process is done at runtime, it costs in term of CPU. So for the static geometry, that is created dynamically at init, it can be interesting to combine all the objects into only one, but only once :) Typically, all games that create levels from XML files with prebuilt blocks.

Note that this function have the same (and more) constraints than the dynamic batcher : to be efficient, your objects have to share the same material (so ideally using a texture atlas). Else, this function will create a mesh subset for each different material, resulting in one draw call per subset. This will never be less efficient, because it will at least removes the overhead implied by the number of objects (for the engine, one object to deal with is better than 1000), but it will be optimal if lot of objects are instances of the same model or have a shared material.

:)
NiCoX
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby Fomin » 17 Dec 2009, 03:25

Hi all
I and my friends create its game company.
We long choose game engine and stop on Shiva 1.8!
I download Shiva 1.8 Trial and I much like Shiva Editor but we should like to ask Stone Trip Development Team about small request!

We create rally race and for all of us this much it is important!
:kiss: We much not like Road Editor to put it more exactly as superimpose texture on geometry road. So we should like to Road texture follow Road geometry.
Here is several screenshots explanation our request:

If you will be able execute we request in nearest new version that my company will buy license Shiva 1.8!
Hope on positive answer!!!
Goodbye!
Fomin
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby NiCoX » 17 Dec 2009, 13:21

Hi Fomin,

Yes the ShiVa's terrain editor, including the road tool, have to an will be improved in next releases. Originally, we planned to treat the roads like generic splats (engine wise), but we did not had time to finish the splatting system, so the roads were left... as is. But it's true that there is a time, things have to be done :)

So I've increased the priority of the road splat rendering. Unfortunately all features are closed for 1.8.1, but for a next one I think it's ok :)
NiCoX
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby dpharaoh » 17 Dec 2009, 14:22

Thank you for the detailed description about the batching NiCoX! Very very useful to me. If a model has two subsets but they use the same material, will there be two draw calls created, or just one?
dpharaoh
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby NiCoX » 17 Dec 2009, 14:59

:)

If a model has two subsets but they use the same material, will there be two draw calls created, or just one?

If the vertex count of both subsets is < 32, then one draw call, else 2. But the combiner may detect it and merge them (the function object.combineRuntimeObjectsGroup).
NiCoX
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby dpharaoh » 17 Dec 2009, 15:19

Aha thanks. BTW, you're 100 now, was my honor ;)
dpharaoh
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby NiCoX » 17 Dec 2009, 15:24

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
NiCoX
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby Fomin » 18 Dec 2009, 10:11

Thank you NiCoX for answer.