Home Tutorials Download Beta Store Forum Documentation KnowledgeBase Wiki Blog

ShiVa3D

Return to Microsoft Windows

ShivaSDK: Cannot interact with engine from c++  [SOLVED]

Windows DX9/OpenGL 2 Standalone Apps

ShivaSDK: Cannot interact with engine from c++

Postby Barnski » 22 Apr 2010, 15:17

Hello,

I am trying to get communication between my c++ code and the shiva engine working.
The TEST_SDK demo works nicely, but when I try my own hooks and send message commands,
it does not work for me. I believe I am doing something wrong in the Shiva Editor.
Unfortunately, the TEST_SDK demo is not available as a sample to look at in the Shiva Editor, or am I wrong? Where could I find it?

Also: how can I use log.message in a running program? shouldnt it output to stdout? I am not seeing anything.

My shiva game setup:
Game: GamePanorama
AIModels: AIMain, AICameraCenter
Handlers in AICameraCenter: onSetRotation(yaw, pitch)

Code: Select all
function AICameraCenter.onSetRotation ( yaw, pitch )
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    object.setRotationYPR(this.getObject(), yaw, pitch, 0, object.kGlobalSpace)
    log.message ( "onSetRotation!" )
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
end

I am using the commands in c++ as follows (note that I do some calculation for the camera values, I just removed it for this snippet).

S3DX::AIVariable aArguments[2] ;
  float cameraYaw = 0;
  float cameraPitch = 0;
//calculate camera values here (code removed)
  aArguments[0].SetNumberValue(cameraYaw) ;
  aArguments[1].SetNumberValue(cameraPitch);
  bool result = S3DClient_SendEventToCurrentUser("AICameraCenter", "onSetRotation", 2, (const void *)aArguments ) ;

But it seems as the script handler is never called! I debugged the c code, the c code is being executed, but I dont know if the shiva handler is actually ever executed, because I dont know if log.message would print to stdout...?
What might I be missing? What other information might I have to share?

thanks!
Barnski
Barnski
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Re:ShivaSDK: Cannot interact with engine from c++  [SOLVED]

Postby Yopia » 22 Apr 2010, 16:13

Hi,

S3DClient_SendEventToCurrentUser send event to the user so the AIModel MUST be a User AIModel.

It seems that AICameraCenter is a Object AIModel.
You have to make a User AIModel which will retrieve the object (through its tag for example) and will forward the event to it.
Yopia
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re:ShivaSDK: Cannot interact with engine from c++

Postby Barnski » 22 Apr 2010, 20:46

Ah thank you Yopia, that solved it! I used AIMain, which I had added to the Game's User Main AI models. So I assume to create a User AI Model I have to drag them to that listbox (Game->Main->User Main AIs).

I also figured out where these log.messages go: to a log file called S3DLog.txt in the working directory.

To get the camera object I used this trick in onInit of the AIMain, in case someone is interested:
function AIMain.onInit (  )
   application.setCurrentUserScene ( "ScenePanorama" )

local s = application.getCurrentUserScene()
    --local cam = scene.getTaggedObject (s, "CameraCenter" )
    local cam = application.getCurrentUserActiveCamera ( )
    this.hCameraCenter (cam)
end

And then later, when the event is being called by the c++ code, I forward it to the AICameraCenter object model using this code:

function AIMain.onSetCameraRotation ( yaw, pitch )
   object.sendEvent(this.hCameraCenter ( ), "AICameraCenter", "onSetRotation", yaw, pitch)
end

Thanks for the help! I am new to Shiva, so bear with me...
will have surely more questions soon ;)

Regards,
Barnski
Barnski
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Return to Microsoft Windows