Home Tutorials Download Beta Store Forum Documentation KnowledgeBase Wiki Blog

ShiVa3D

Return to Microsoft Windows

[Webplayer] Download time on various OS

Windows DX9/OpenGL 2 Standalone Apps

[Webplayer] Download time on various OS

Postby Larive » 19 Oct 2010, 15:08

Hello,

I have a quite strange problem regarding the download time of external files.

I use Firefox with Firebug to measure time under windows and MacOs X.

After running several times the same test, on various computer and places (various ISP), I obtained these results :

The download speed for the initial files (i.e. the two that are defined in the stkobject call) are the same on the same network on MacOSX or windows.

But, for the external files (stk or video) that are downloaded from the Shiva webplayer, the speed is divided by 3 on windows and remains the same on Mac OsX.

As our appplication could be quite huge, this is a major problem as download times become extremly tedious on Windows.

We failed to understand the possible cause of this behaviour and we will be very happy if someone could have an idea about this.

Thanks in advance
Larive
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Re: [Webplayer] Download time on various OS

Postby Larive » 27 Oct 2010, 09:47

Hello again,

I tried another application (http://www.my-stadium.com/?q=visit/OL) and I have the same behaviour.

By chance, does someone know an application that load external files (stk or not). I would like to run my tests on something that we do not create.

The download time is critical for us and we worked a lot on this topic (dedicated servers for database and StonServer, cdn hosting etc) and the current problem makes our effort quite useless.

Thanks in advance for your returns
Larive
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Return to Microsoft Windows