Home Tutorials Download Beta Store Forum Documentation KnowledgeBase Wiki Blog

ShiVa3D

Return to Microsoft Windows

Windows 7 and Resources

Windows DX9/OpenGL 2 Standalone Apps

Windows 7 and Resources

Postby psychicsoftware » 01 Mar 2011, 22:43

I switched to Windows 7 a couple of days ago, and copied across everything from C:\Program Files\Stonetrip\ShiVa Editor Basic\Data\Samples

That's fine, it all worked nicely.

I went to do a backup today and I found that none of the files in the folder has updated with my work from the last 2 days, since the switch. Everything is fine inside Shiva. But I can't find where my work is now, to get it backed up.

Then I tried running Shiva 'As Administrator' and it loaded all my old versions!, from C:\Program Files\Stonetrip\ShiVa Editor Basic\Data\Samples. Any changes I make to source code now *are* saved as expected to C:\Program Files\Stonetrip\ShiVa Editor Basic\Data\Samples

Does anyone know what Windows is doing here - does it save files somewhere else when you're not running as administrator and you don't have write access to Program Files?

where's my work???
psychicsoftware
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: Windows 7 and Resources

Postby psychicsoftware » 01 Mar 2011, 22:56

Ah, found it here:

C:\Users\Sam\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Stonetrip\ShiVa Editor Basic\Data\Samples

I wonder if it's safe there or if Windows in its infinite wisdom will decide it's a temporary cache or something..
psychicsoftware
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby broozar » 01 Mar 2011, 23:56

as a win7 standard user, you don't have permission to write to ProgramFiles anymore. you are lucky that windows put your stuff in VirtualStorage, and not discarded it.

i recommend installing shiva in a directory that you (the win7 user you mostly use) owns completely, like one you create, e.g. C:ShiVa
broozar
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby Doris48 » 03 Dec 2011, 14:07

thanks for the post i really needed to know this..!
Doris48
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Return to Microsoft Windows