Home Tutorials Download Beta Store Forum Documentation KnowledgeBase Wiki Blog

ShiVa3D

Return to Google Android

Issue with Android 4.xx and application.quit?

Google Play Store, Amazon Kindle, Nook, and so many more

Issue with Android 4.xx and application.quit?

Postby redmotion » 30 Apr 2012, 10:30

Just upgraded my Galaxy S2 to Android 4.0.3. After building a debug version and installing directly via UAT, I just noticed that after quitting, my application will not run again : it opens the splash screen and then closes again. Checking task manager shows it was closed and not running in background. However, closing all programs by wiping used RAM (in RAM manager on SGS2) means it will run again. I imagine other people without this ability will probably have to restart their devices.

Testing the same build on Playbook there is no issue with restarting the app.

I will update the SDK this evening to check this isn't the issue, will also try a build with ant/eclipse.
redmotion
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: Issue with Android 4.xx and application.quit?

Postby redmotion » 01 May 2012, 10:10

Could be related to my OS upgrade as even the built in Android gallery app closed on startup (without forced close message) in a similar fashion. May have to do a hard reset.
redmotion
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby lyraemd » 20 Jun 2012, 22:52

Confirm the same issue on my One S. If I quit the application from application manager everything is running great, I mean i can relaunch the game without any issue. But in the moment I quit the game using application.quit(), the application wont run again form the first try.
lyraemd
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby giggsy » 21 Jun 2012, 07:05

This also happens on our Galaxy Nexus (Android 4.something).

If you shut down with application.quit, the next time it won't start (but the next try after that one will).
giggsy
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby redmotion » 27 Jul 2012, 18:39

Ok this is the log that is left when this happens:

Code: Select all
D/ChromaSphere(24219): --------------------------------------------
D/ChromaSphere(24219): Create activity ChromaSphere
D/ChromaSphere(24219): Device infos :
D/ChromaSphere(24219):     BOARD:         smdk4210
D/ChromaSphere(24219):     BRAND:         samsung
D/ChromaSphere(24219):     CPU_ABI:       armeabi-v7a
D/ChromaSphere(24219):     DEVICE:        GT-I9100
D/ChromaSphere(24219):     DISPLAY:       IML74K.XWLP7
D/ChromaSphere(24219):     MANUFACTURER:  samsung
D/ChromaSphere(24219):     MODEL:         GT-I9100
D/ChromaSphere(24219):     PRODUCT:       GT-I9100
D/ChromaSphere(24219): Start activity ChromaSphere
D/ChromaSphere(24219): Resume activity ChromaSphere
D/ChromaSphere(24219): Using cache directory: /sdcard/Android/data/com.redmotiongames.chromasphere/cache
D/ChromaSphere(24219): Using home directory: /data/data/com.redmotiongames.chromasphere/app_home
D/ChromaSphere(24219): Extracted asset S3DMain.stk to folder/sdcard/Android/data/com.redmotiongames.chromasphere
W/System.err(24219):    at com.redmotiongames.chromasphere.ChromaSphere.extractAssetFromAPK(ChromaSphere.java:1095)
W/System.err(24219):    at com.redmotiongames.chromasphere.ChromaSphere.extractAdditionalFiles(ChromaSphere.java:1198)
W/System.err(24219):    at com.redmotiongames.chromasphere.ChromaSphere.access$300(ChromaSphere.java:112)
W/System.err(24219):    at com.redmotiongames.chromasphere.ChromaSphere$1.run(ChromaSphere.java:196)
D/ChromaSphere(24219): Could not extract asset images to folder/sdcard/Android/data/com.redmotiongames.chromasphere
D/ChromaSphere(24219): Extracted asset rename.bat to folder/sdcard/Android/data/com.redmotiongames.chromasphere
W/System.err(24219):    at com.redmotiongames.chromasphere.ChromaSphere.extractAssetFromAPK(ChromaSphere.java:1095)
W/System.err(24219):    at com.redmotiongames.chromasphere.ChromaSphere.extractAdditionalFiles(ChromaSphere.java:1198)
W/System.err(24219):    at com.redmotiongames.chromasphere.ChromaSphere.access$300(ChromaSphere.java:112)
W/System.err(24219):    at com.redmotiongames.chromasphere.ChromaSphere$1.run(ChromaSphere.java:196)
D/ChromaSphere(24219): Could not extract asset sounds to folder/sdcard/Android/data/com.redmotiongames.chromasphere
D/ChromaSphere(24219): Could not extract asset webkit to folder/sdcard/Android/data/com.redmotiongames.chromasphere
I/ChromaSphere(24219): ### engineSetDirectories
D/ChromaSphere(24219): #### onEnableWakeLock: ON
I/ChromaSphere(24219): ### engineResume
D/SensorManager(24219): registerListener :: handle = 0  name= K3DH Acceleration Sensor delay= 20000 Listener= com.redmotiongames.chromasphere.S3DSurfaceView@41b0a2c0
D/ChromaSphere(24219): #### onEnableWakeLock: ON
D/SensorManager(24219): registerListener :: handle = 0  name= K3DH Acceleration Sensor delay= 20000 Listener= com.redmotiongames.chromasphere.S3DSurfaceView@41b0a2c0
I/ChromaSphere(24219): ### engineOnSurfaceCreated
I/ChromaSphere(24219): Handling graphic context loss...
I/ChromaSphere(24219): ### engineOnSurfaceChanged
D/ChromaSphere(24219): Pause activity ChromaSphere
D/Sensors (24219): Remain listener = com.redmotiongames.chromasphere.S3DSurfaceView@419bb760
D/SensorManager(24219): unregisterListener:: handle = 0 Listener= com.redmotiongames.chromasphere.S3DSurfaceView@41b0a2c0 name = K3DH Acceleration Sensor
D/SensorManager(24219): unregisterListener:: handle = 2 Listener= com.redmotiongames.chromasphere.S3DSurfaceView@41b0a2c0 name = AK8975 Orientation Sensor
D/ChromaSphere(24219): Disabled location sensor
D/ChromaSphere(24219): #### onEnableWakeLock: OFF
D/ChromaSphere(24219): #### onStopOverlayMovie
I/ChromaSphere(24219): ### enginePause
D/ChromaSphere(24219): Stop activity ChromaSphere
D/ChromaSphere(24219): Destroy activity ChromaSphere
redmotion
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby Woidl » 08 Aug 2012, 18:32

Hello All,

the QUIT-Error nearly always happens to my:

Samsung Galaxy Note (GT-N7000) Android 4.0.4
Samsung Galaxy S2 Android 4.0.3
Samsung Galaxy S3 Android 4.0.4

I have to shut down my App via App-Manager. Not very good for my customers...
This *is* a major bug - any comments from the developers here?

Best Regards and thnx for help,
Woidl
Woidl
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Postby redmotion » 08 Aug 2012, 22:02

Could I ask how you're set up for compiling?

I've got a SGS2 (ICS) and was experiencing the force quit error due to building an Eclipse project which had a lot of out-of-date components - so, basically I updated the Android SDK/NDKs with latest versions, plus updated cygwin and Ant, exported a new clean project from the UAT 1.4 beta 3, and then rebuilt it from Eclipse and the problems seem to be gone.
redmotion
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby error454 » 21 Aug 2012, 06:42

I had 2 questions about this. First, are you still having the issue. Second, why do you need to call application.quit?
error454
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby Woidl » 01 Oct 2012, 09:35

Hi error454,

sorry my stupid question - I really thought that "application.quit" is the correct way to exit the App. What's the correct way?

Thnx for help :-)
Woidl
Woidl
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Postby dreamora » 01 Oct 2012, 10:02

none, the user / os handle that on mobiles.

Thats not desktop platforms where you have to kill it to shut it down. Apps are meant to remain there till the user decides that they are no longer required or till the OS has to clean them cause it requires the RAM.

if you kill it the moment it goes into background that will give you solid 1 star ratings on Google Play etc cause any phone call etc will kill your game.
I'm no stonetrip representative, just a happy board member like you :)

If you find my portfolio interesting, feel free to contact me or follow my shares on my twitter stream or my game development blog
dreamora
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby capiright » 01 Oct 2012, 19:29

dreamora wrote:none, the user / os handle that on mobiles.

Thats not desktop platforms where you have to kill it to shut it down. Apps are meant to remain there till the user decides that they are no longer required or till the OS has to clean them cause it requires the RAM.

if you kill it the moment it goes into background that will give you solid 1 star ratings on Google Play etc cause any phone call etc will kill your game.

Are you sure? I think that on Android they like it if the back button on the home page kills the app.
capiright
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby error454 » 01 Oct 2012, 19:53

In terms of quitting the app, yes application.quit *should* be the correct way although it sounds like it is problematic. That code is actually implemented somewhere in the engine library so I can't see how they do it.

It wouldn't be hard to write this properly with a little JNI and java, if you guys really need it I can give you a sample to plop into your eclipse project.

On the subject of the back-button, I hate it. I've been using and developing on Android since day 1 and I've always hated the back button. The back button is simply overloaded with tasks, its function changes depending on context and there's no clear representation to the user regarding what context you are in. i.e. you don't know if hitting back will close the app or go to a previous screen sometimes.

As much as I hate the back-button-closes-the-app paradigm, there are anal users out there whose single joy in life revolves around finding apps that don't exit when you hit the back button. Sadly, they will find you and leave you a 1-star rating.
error454
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby Woidl » 07 Oct 2012, 10:12

I woud like to have my own "EXIT" button IN the app, so most of Android-Games have it...
"Babel Rising 3D" has an exit-button, and they use SHIVA..., and there it always WORKS!
Just the question to the developers... how do THEY do?

Thnx for help!
Woidl
Woidl
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Postby error454 » 08 Oct 2012, 13:58

So last night I went to write some code for this. I tested with the latest UAT beta, application.quit works for me, no errors when reopening or closing. Android 4.0.4.
error454
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby Woidl » 09 Oct 2012, 07:09

Hi error454,
thank you!!! thats really cool...
Woidl
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Return to Google Android