Home Tutorials Download Beta Store Forum Documentation KnowledgeBase Wiki Blog

ShiVa3D

Return to Google Android

Crashing on Galaxy S3 (but not S2)  [SOLVED]

Google Play Store, Amazon Kindle, Nook, and so many more

Crashing on Galaxy S3 (but not S2)

Postby otester » 26 Jun 2012, 13:45

My game crashes (see bottom of log, just dies???) on the loading screen on my Galaxy S3 but works on my Galaxy S2 (both using ICS 4.0.4), tested with both UAT 1.3.1 and UAT 1.4.0b3, I've gone through the logcat and I can't see anything that could cause it, maybe someone else can?

Filtered log (gladius in ddms filter box - lot shorter):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fkguu4ht6zg7yc2/gladius-log.txt

Full log:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7p0d970fkweexox/log.txt
Last edited by otester on 26 Jun 2012, 17:40, edited 1 time in total.
otester
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: Crashing on Galaxy S3 (but not S2)

Postby Sum41 » 26 Jun 2012, 17:17

Is everything ok with game resolution? One of mine wasn`t working because I`ve missed such a little bug
Sum41
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby otester » 26 Jun 2012, 17:40

Sum41 wrote:Is everything ok with game resolution? One of mine wasn`t working because I`ve missed such a little bug

An older version worked so it can't be that.

Before people start wondering whether I've pushed polys too far, the poly count was a lot higher on the older version and the textures were uncompressed, I've tried turning off all camera effects, nm, specular, bloom etc.

As it's loading it crashes and the app dies with no error (added to first comment, forgot to mention, oops).

Edit: Looks like it might be music causing it, just tried another map which didn't have a soundtrack added and it worked with no issues, even the loading bar worked...mostly.

Edit2: I just went through the ddms log(cat) and it didn't list the AwesomePlayer thing I got in the previous log, going to try the original scene without music, if it works, then with music, but added under resources (not sure it will work), then if it doesn't, coded version, not via editor.
otester
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby DoctorPepper » 26 Jun 2012, 18:52

I remember having an issue on webOS, that crushed the game, every time a music piece ended. Maybe its the same issue
DoctorPepper
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby otester » 27 Jun 2012, 00:29

More testing has shown it's not audio related, really weird.

I think the devs probably need to get hold of an S3 and check it out.

Could be that my S2 is on 4.0.3 and the S3 is on 4.0.4.

Edit: Two suspects, dodgy texture or turned edges (FBX Plugin export warning), tried without textures and converting to mesh, worked, time for bed, will continue investigating tomorrow.
otester
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: Crashing on Galaxy S3 (but not S2)  [SOLVED]

Postby otester » 27 Jun 2012, 18:53

Seems the crashing is caused by a lack of RAM, monitored it in DDMS, it crashed when free RAM ran out.

The Galaxy S2 has a lot more free RAM than the S3, ~500MB vs ~200-300MB, probably caused by all the extra bloatware they stick on it, guess I understand now why people said the S3 should have had 1.5GB or 2GB RAM.
otester
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby redmotion » 29 Jun 2012, 11:31

It's a shame Android apps can't crash in a more graceful way and perhaps tell the device owner what the problem is, for example, in this case:

OUT OF MEMORY. REMOVE SOME APPLICATIONS TO FREE UP MORE SPACE. PRESS OK TO EXIT.

Instead (as a developer) I get 1 star ratings and unhelpful comments. But neither of us can be blamed because no one can tell what the problem is. The logcat isn't enough for users of apps to know what the problem is.
redmotion
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby dreamora » 29 Jun 2012, 13:03

Android on the other hand is not iOS, you can ask the OS about RAM and respond to it correspondingly. As you would do on any desktop os
Not as its the case on iOS where you can only respond to the memory warning and after ignoring it for the 3rd time you get shot down.
I'm no stonetrip representative, just a happy board member like you :)

If you find my portfolio interesting, feel free to contact me or follow my shares on my twitter stream or my game development blog
dreamora
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Return to Google Android