Home Tutorials Download Beta Store Forum Documentation KnowledgeBase Wiki Blog

ShiVa3D

Return to Plugins

plugin limitations

ShiVa Plugin Development

plugin limitations

Postby Moof » 17 Nov 2011, 17:23

Hello, I'm reading through the documentation and I'm having a little trouble deciphering the difference in plugin functionality between the PLE, Basic, and Advanced versions. If I am creating a plugin for my game and compiling it on pc and on osx for iphone, which version do I need to be able to publish the completed game? I have no desire to export and distribute just the plugin, only the game as a whole. When is it necessary to sign a plugin through verisign? I created a simple plugin that works fine on the computer I built it on with my game in PLE, but not on another computer ("Could not open native plugin file") also running PLE. I understand these are pretty basic questions but I'm not finding the answers easily in the documentation or the forums. Thanks.
Moof
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Re: plugin limitations

Postby Moof » 17 Nov 2011, 17:27

Additionally, is there any way to get a persistent reference to an object handle in a plugin? From the experimenting I have been doing it seems that when I pass a handle into my plugin code that handle is temporary and I don't have any way to get a persistent reference. If that's a limitations then there are workarounds, but I was curious. Thanks.
Moof
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby NiCoX » 17 Nov 2011, 17:56

Hi,

- PLE:
=> creation: yes
=> export: no
=> signing: no

- BASIC:
=> export: yes, but only signed ones (so created with an ADVANCED version)
=> signing: no

- ADVANCED:
=> export: yes
=> signing: yes, self-signed or using a VeriSign/GlobalSign certificate

In other words, if you want to both create a plug-in and a game, you need an ADVANCED. If you just need to create a game using a third party plug-in, you just need a BASIC.

Concerning the VeriSign/GlobalSign certificate, it's only required for the WebPlayer, not for standalone exports.

is there any way to get a persistent reference to an object handle in a plugin?

That was not possible with 1.9.0, but it is now possible starting from 1.9.1.beta2, using:
- object.getStaticHandle
- object.fromStaticHandle
- object.releaseStaticHandle

:)
NiCoX
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby Moof » 17 Nov 2011, 18:02

Great, thank you. That all makes sense now. And I'm glad to hear I will be able to get static handles to objects.
Moof
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Return to Plugins