Home Tutorials Download Beta Store Forum Documentation KnowledgeBase Wiki Blog

ShiVa3D

Return to RIM BlackBerry Tablet OS

BB10 support?

BlackBerry Tablet OS and BlackBerry 10

BB10 support?

Postby redmotion » 30 May 2012, 12:34

Could I just ask whether the BB10 SDK will be (or is already) supported for the next-gen BB phones?

https://developer.blackberry.com/native/beta/download/

Thanks.
J.
redmotion
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: BB10 support?

Postby peter » 01 Jun 2012, 21:51

If it would be available export as a project, I think it won't be a problem even without shiva engine support. BB10 is mostly compatibile with Playbook SDK.

Or stonetrip could also add special bb10 sdk path, and export option for UAT. I think it shouldn't be a problem for anybody. ;)

btw. playbook in a future will get bb10 os.

And bb10 is in 'creating' stage yet, so I think stonetrip have time. ;)

So I think it will be a nice function, but it is not 'must have' for now. ;)
peter
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Postby redmotion » 01 Jun 2012, 22:18

Well on June 14th in London, the Blackberry 10 Jam World Tour will be giving away a limited number of BB10 dev devices free. If I get lucky and get one for myself, it would be really nice to have the extra time to get my app tested and ready, so it's available from day one.

http://www.blackberryjamworldtour.com/register
redmotion
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby broozar » 02 Jun 2012, 07:07

as far as i know, everything developed with the playbook SDK will work on BB10 without problems.
broozar
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby michax » 03 Jul 2012, 21:54

Got lucky, and was qualified for BB10 Dev Alpha. Should arrive late this week.

As for conference itself, I even noticed shiva logo as one of supported platforms during presentation, sadly they only talked about marmalade and unity.

Whole platform looks promising but i think they did to much. So many SDK's. 2 Native ones :P Programmers heaven. I only hope they will not end up similar to Palm.

as far as i know, everything developed with the playbook SDK will work on BB10 without problems.

During conf they told that 95% off apps should works right away. Sounds really good.
There is even support for Android APK's, HTML 5, Adobe Air. Shitloud of options, can't wait to test it in reality. During presentation i was part of Native track so only saw two SDK for C++ dev. Both looked really good and strightforward. Especialy Cascade.
Last edited by michax on 03 Jul 2012, 22:10, edited 1 time in total.
michax
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby michax » 03 Jul 2012, 22:09

One thing struck mi during presentaion. RIM is planing to offer 10k$ if your app don't earn that much during a year.
There is some acepptance process, looks a little shady but interesting.

My understending was if your will be accepted to their App World (for bb10), they will offer 10k$ if your app don't earn that amount during a year. But not sure if it works that way. Need to confirm.

Edit:
I was close :P
http://techcrunch.com/2012/05/01/rim-to-developers-well-make-sure-your-app-earns-at-least-10k-in-its-first-year/
michax
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby dreamora » 04 Jul 2012, 00:04

this assumes that they didn't go out of business before this point.
The recent ongoings do not exactly look like it as they are forced to kick out large parts of their staff to even stay financially fluid till the BB10 launch early 2013. By that time WP8 and Win8 RT both rolled out, backed up by the $40 Win8 upgrade offer, targeting the same business user segment that was RIMs last backbone.

I don't want to picture it black, but I don't think that even pitch black could be more black than their future forsight due to half a decade of not getting whats going on (unlike nokia where it was simply a plain stupid CEO and the decision against Symbian that will crush them)
I'm no stonetrip representative, just a happy board member like you :)

If you find my portfolio interesting, feel free to contact me or follow my shares on my twitter stream or my game development blog
dreamora
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby michax » 05 Jul 2012, 22:25

I just want to let you guys know that shiva exports games flawlessly to new BB10 and working perfect on Alpha device. Performance is great!

There is only problem with Native export. In that case i only see black screen. But i think It's easy stuff to fix on Stonetrip part.
michax
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby _geo_ » 11 Oct 2012, 15:23

Hi michmax,
did you have any luck with native export for OS 10?

Does anybody know if there are plans to support UAT project export for OS 10 Cascade SDK in the near future? Cascade seems to be RIMs preferred SDK for OS 10.
fly yes, land no | Modern Alchemists | Blog | MASH | MATWEEN-AI
_geo_
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Postby michax » 11 Oct 2012, 16:17

Hi _geo_

Today I will test new OS version and check if native export works. There also was release of new SDK. Hope updating will go smoothly.

Will share results.
michax
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby michax » 11 Oct 2012, 20:19

Ok, native code still doesn't work, but Stonetrip is aware of this and will be fixed.
michax
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby _geo_ » 12 Oct 2012, 07:06

thx for reporting :)
fly yes, land no | Modern Alchemists | Blog | MASH | MATWEEN-AI
_geo_
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Postby psychicsoftware » 16 Oct 2012, 10:34

I received these notifications from BlackBerry testers, on my existing apps: grammatical errors are theirs not mine ;-)

"The buttons inside the application doesn’t work properly"
"while testing your app, we got scaling issue image is showing to big on the screen"

This is from two different games, so it seems strange to have different errors..
psychicsoftware
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby radek_ne » 16 Oct 2012, 11:14

From RIM:

We are currently testing all existing PlayBook applications on the Dev Alpha device, to check for compatibility. Please see below our test results and comments for your app named ...

The application didn't appear properly on the device. It appears larger than the device screen.

I suspect that it is about ViewportRotation. In Playbook is 0 or 2 and here 1 or 3 ?
I remember that when I sent the game to the Playbook ( viewportRotation 1 or 3 )then picture was rotated and bigger than the screen. That same about buttons.

application.setOption ( application.kOptionViewportRotation, ? )

But that is only speculation.

I will send my app with this cahange but at friday.

http://www.stonetrip.com/developer/forum/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=27400
radek_ne
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Postby radek_ne » 16 Oct 2012, 12:11

One question. How to determine that the device is Playbook or other BB10?
radek_ne
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Next

Return to RIM BlackBerry Tablet OS