Home Tutorials Download Beta Store Forum Documentation KnowledgeBase Wiki Blog

ShiVa3D

Return to RIM BlackBerry Tablet OS

Text scaling badly on Playbook

BlackBerry Tablet OS and BlackBerry 10

Text scaling badly on Playbook

Postby redmotion » 08 Mar 2012, 23:09

Just wondering if this is a known issue? It looks really squashed and pixelated. Looks fine in the editor.

PS: With OpenGL2 I'm getting 26-30 FPS. Anyone think this isn't acceptable?
redmotion
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: Text scaling badly on Playbook

Postby neilb » 08 Mar 2012, 23:56

My app is getting a steady 54fps in OpenGL2.0 on the Playbook, versus 34fps on my 7" Galaxy Tab.

If this is Chromasphere you are referring to, then that's the same font problem that I see on my Android tablets in the free version (except maybe the squashing).

Shiva's default fonts do look bad, especially with anti-aliasing enabled. I've found that the problem can be fixed by opening the texture that Shiva created in Gimp, export it as a PNG, then import the PNG into your application to replace the Shiva created texture. There's some sort of transparency issue in the default format that Shiva uses.
neilb
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby NiCoX » 09 Mar 2012, 09:33

NiCoX
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby redmotion » 09 Mar 2012, 09:56

Thanks for the tips, guys. What I did last night was reexported the font map as 2048, converted it to a png, turned off anti-aliasing where ever it was used in a component. It looks great now.

My concern is using a 2048x2048 map. It worked fine on my Playbook and I'm assuming my Galaxy S2 will cope ok too. But I have some users with low end phones on Android, will there be memory problems with a map this size or does Shiva cut this map up to reduce the graphics processor load for the HUD elements? (Is that even a proper question?!)

@NiCoX: if I use the pvr texture exe you're pointing me to, will I loose 2048 support but gain better quality with a 1024x map?
redmotion
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby neilb » 09 Mar 2012, 10:20

I'd definitely reduce the size, it doesn't need to be that large unless you are displaying huge text. 1024x1024 looks great on all my apps, even 512x512 might work depending on the font.
neilb
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby NiCoX » 09 Mar 2012, 10:40

@NiCoX: if I use the pvr texture exe you're pointing me to, will I loose 2048 support but gain better quality with a 1024x map?

Yes, there is actually a bug with alpha channels in the latest official PVRTexTool.
NiCoX
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Return to RIM BlackBerry Tablet OS