Home Tutorials Download Beta Store Forum Documentation KnowledgeBase Wiki Blog

ShiVa3D

Return to Adobe Flash 11

ShiVa Flash 11 engine preview

Alternative to ShiVa's Web Player

ShiVa Flash 11 engine preview

Postby NiCoX » 15 Feb 2012, 01:02

Hi all,

As you may know, we are working for some months on the ShiVa Flash 11 engine. Though it is not fully ready yet, most of the hard work is now behind us. So as we are not so far from a first beta, I wanted to start sharing with you some demos. My plan is to post various demos in this thread, starting with 3 basic applications taken from the ShiVa 1.9.x samples:

1. the "Fire" demo: http://developer.stonetrip.com/Download/Flash/Fire.html, showing:
- lightmapped environment
- per pixel dynamic lighting (point light)
- spherical texture mapping (on the ball)
- particles

2. the "SimpleProjector" demo: http://developer.stonetrip.com/Download/Flash/SimpleProjector.html, showing:
- lightmapped environment
- vertex colors (on the ball)
- projected textures

3. the "MeshMorphing" demo: http://developer.stonetrip.com/Download/Flash/MeshMorphing.html, showing:
- dynamic mesh deformation
- per pixel normal mapped specular lighting (directional light)

So, no "kicking the ass" demo for now, but hey, it's running in the Flash player! :)

Obviously, all samples have been exported "as-is" from ShiVa and injected in the UAT in order to create the SWF and HTML files.

Known limitations (that will be fixed for the final release):
- you'll need Flash 11 installed, and a compatible graphic card/driver (you won't be prompted to install/upgrade)
- engine initialization time is long and your browser may look like "frozen" during 10-20 seconds

More demos to come, including GPU skinning, advanced shaders, render to texture, etc. ;)
NiCoX
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: ShiVa Flash 11 engine preview

Postby feng3d » 15 Feb 2012, 02:20

Great!! :D
feng3d
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Postby _geo_ » 15 Feb 2012, 08:03

wohoo :)
fly yes, land no | Modern Alchemists | Blog | MASH | MATWEEN-AI
_geo_
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Postby giggsy » 15 Feb 2012, 08:05

Nice!

Keep it comin' :D
giggsy
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby broozar » 15 Feb 2012, 09:05

though flash11 is installed and i see the loading bar, the site stops at "initializing" on my tegra3 tablet (ICS). is it x86 only for the time being?
broozar
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby NiCoX » 15 Feb 2012, 09:24

though flash11 is installed and i see the loading bar, the site stops at "initializing" on my tegra3 tablet (ICS). is it x86 only for the time being?

Hehe made the same test on the PlayBook, and got the same results. To be honest I did not look further, but it may be possible that Stage3D API is currently not available on mobile devices.
NiCoX
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby psychicsoftware » 15 Feb 2012, 09:25

Very cool! Is the performance on those demos representative of how it's going to be? I'm getting a very poor frame rate versus the same demos running in the Shiva IDE.
psychicsoftware
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby NiCoX » 15 Feb 2012, 09:48

Is the performance on those demos representative of how it's going to be?

No, we still have lot of Flash specific optimizations to do.

I'm getting a very poor frame rate

All those 3 demos are running at 60fps on an old Mac Mini (Intel Core 2 Duo). Did you enable hardware acceleration? (right click > settings)

Now, I know that Flash Player 11.1 does not enable hardware acceleration on GPU drivers that were released before 2009. They will support 2008 drivers with Flash 11.2. Maybe it's your case...

Let me know.
NiCoX
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby redmotion » 15 Feb 2012, 11:54

Sweet.

Is that particle system based on the v2 system? I've played a lot with the 1.9 and can't work out how that one was done, so I'm guessing it features some of the new features maybe? Basically, I ask because the back red halo seems to appear as a single form rather than many particles.

Thanks, looking really promising. :)

PS: on the projector scene I'm getting around 45 fps. (hardware acc on, GTX 570, nvidia driver 275.33)

PPS: What formats can be exported from the UAT and can we customise the loading/initialising screen?
redmotion
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby NiCoX » 15 Feb 2012, 12:34

on the projector scene I'm getting around 45 fps. (hardware acc on, GTX 570, nvidia driver 275.33)

Weird, should be 60... what is your browser (and version)?

What formats can be exported from the UAT and can we customise the loading/initialising screen?

Currently, are exported:
- MyApp.html
- MyApp.swf
- MyApp_Loader.swf

But we'll also provide a "Flex project" export, including the engine SWC and the main/loader source files (so as usual). And it will also be possible to customize the splash screen directly from the UAT, without the need to create a project.
NiCoX
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby ThunderZ » 15 Feb 2012, 12:52

This is awesome !!!!
ThunderZ
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby redmotion » 15 Feb 2012, 12:55

Ah ha! You deftly avoided my v2 questions! Anyway, Firefox 10.0.1. Latest version, I think. Shockwave Flash plugin is 11.1.102.55.

EDIT: Mesh morpher and fire demos have a consistent 60 fps

EDIT2: After staring at the fire a bit more, I think I know what you did. The texture is doing most of the work, while the colour change over time is doing the rest. Nice Effect!
Last edited by redmotion on 15 Feb 2012, 13:26, edited 3 times in total.
redmotion
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby pataya » 15 Feb 2012, 13:11

she give smile :D
pataya
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby mal_CanDo » 15 Feb 2012, 13:36

Nice work - on those demos, a simple change like making the camera rotating around automatically would help make them look a lot more impressive looking, 3D wise.
mal_CanDo
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Next

Return to Adobe Flash 11