Home Tutorials Download Beta Store Forum Documentation KnowledgeBase Wiki Blog

ShiVa3D

Return to Installation & Configuration

Swapping PC's & Plugin development

Swapping PC's & Plugin development

Postby 8DashP » 16 Dec 2010, 23:31

HI folks,

My situation is this. I do development work at home on the weekends on my iMac, but during the work week, I live away from home and must work on my Macbook.

To date, I've had Shiva Basic installed on my Parallels VM on my iMac, and just using Shiva PLE on my Macbook during the week.

But now that I have purchased Advanced and want to work on Plugin development, what would be people's recommendations about the workflow wanting to use Advanced features. Is it simple enough to swap my license across machines twice a week? I know the feature is there somewhere, but I don;t think it was meant for this kind of usage, so I'm not sure how StoneTrip would feel about constant changes pr whether it's all just automated so doesn't matter.

Anyone else work this way?

Thanks.
Russell - http://store.synapticbytes.com - Software Store now open, including ShiVa3D assets
Checkout sbPhysics, the bullet physics plugin, plus the Partifex particle libraries on the store
8DashP
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: Swapping PC's & Plugin development

Postby 8DashP » 19 Dec 2010, 06:47

Oh well I guess no one else works the way I do. I suppose I'll just try the license swapping for a while and see how it goes.
Russell - http://store.synapticbytes.com - Software Store now open, including ShiVa3D assets
Checkout sbPhysics, the bullet physics plugin, plus the Partifex particle libraries on the store
8DashP
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby dreamora » 19 Dec 2010, 06:57

Indeed I do all my dev on windows.

For doing plugins that require mac, I've no reason to switch license to my MBP as the Shiva related part "is static"
I'm no stonetrip representative, just a happy board member like you :)

If you find my portfolio interesting, feel free to contact me or follow my shares on my twitter stream or my game development blog
dreamora
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby 8DashP » 19 Dec 2010, 07:06

My problem is now whether it's mac or windows, I have windows on both machines. the problem is I use 2 different computer during the week - 1 away from home and 1 at home, and I have to swap development between the 2 of them, hence the need to move licenses.
8DashP
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby dreamora » 19 Dec 2010, 07:38

Only if you needed to be able to use plugin signing on the one you use less.

If you just work on the plugin for example you don't need it. Also if you have advanced on the macbook you can just fire it up to sign a plugin when required for example

Thats what I would do given the move wouldn't work (or I lost my patience which would be likely to happen earlier ;))
I'm no stonetrip representative, just a happy board member like you :)

If you find my portfolio interesting, feel free to contact me or follow my shares on my twitter stream or my game development blog
dreamora
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby 8DashP » 19 Dec 2010, 07:50

Ok well I gave the license move a shot anyway, and it seemed relatively painless, apart from getting the sequence right first time and manually typing a couple of GUIDs.

If Stonetrip don't mind me shuffling all the time, it might work, or I can try it your way I suppose. I just couldn't create a new one when I tried last week on my Macbook because of the signing thing.
8DashP
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Return to Installation & Configuration