Home Tutorials Download Beta Store Forum Documentation KnowledgeBase Wiki Blog

ShiVa3D

Return to Import

Importing Multi-Materials from 3DS

Resources Import, formats, techniques and optimisation

Importing Multi-Materials from 3DS

Postby supernat » 11 Jun 2011, 17:01

Okay, I'm probably missing something obvious. I created a set of simple objects: a couple of cones, 2 partial cylinders and a ring. All are detached from one another initially. Using the "Attach" option for the mesh, I created a single mesh. So I assigned a separate material (very simple materials, no texture just diffuse color) to each object. 3DS created a multi/Sub-Object material that maps each material to their appropriate sub objects and creates the subsets. It looks right when rendered in 3DS. I export in collada without errors.

When I import into Shiva, the object has 3 subsets for the 3 materials I created, and each subset is even assigned the correct material. I viewed the materials, and they match 3DS. However, the whole mesh is covered with a single color from one of the materials. I used the "eye dropper" or shortcut "M" key in the object editor in shiva to grab the material, and the entire mesh insists that only one material is assigned to it in as far as clicking the eye dropper in various locations on the mesh.

What am I doing wrong? Does Shiva support multiple subsets with different materials?

Thanks!
Chris
supernat
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Re: Importing Multi-Materials from 3DS

Postby pataya » 11 Jun 2011, 17:49

i do many try and hard to say why sometime he does'nt works
pataya
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby Kuzz » 02 Jul 2011, 15:27

Hi ! I have the same problem with a PLE edition of ShiVa...
Kuzz
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Postby makkar » 02 Jul 2011, 16:39

Hi,

If you select your object in the Scene Viewer, open the Attributes Editor, scroll to the Shape Attributes section and check in the bottom the Subsets list. There you can see how many subsets the object has got, and what material is assigned to which subset.
makkar
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby Kuzz » 02 Jul 2011, 17:51

Thanks for your advice but I know it and I already look at the subset list and all is Okay. But only one of the subset is used on all the mesh :/
Kuzz
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Postby makkar » 02 Jul 2011, 20:11

Kuzz wrote:But only one of the subset is used on all the mesh :/

Do you mean only one material is used on all subsets? If so, then select each subset one by one, and drag the correct material onto each subset in the Subsets list.
makkar
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby Kuzz » 02 Jul 2011, 21:44

No I mean that all the subset are Ok but on the view, I see my object like if only one material was used for all the mesh =)
Kuzz
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Postby makkar » 02 Jul 2011, 22:26

Please provide screenshots for your question.
makkar
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby Kuzz » 02 Jul 2011, 23:26

At the left all my subset.

At the right, the first of my subset which is fine.

On the middle, my model with only the last subset affecting all the mesh (it is the subset of some doors) :/

I don't know if you understand me =)
Kuzz
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Postby supernat » 06 Jul 2011, 03:45

Agreed, Makkar, each of my subsets shows a DIFFERENT material and each material has the proper texture assigned to it. However, I strongly suspect this to be an Autodesk or FBX problem, not Shiva. When I reimport the collada file back in, it shows a multi-material assigned to the entire mesh, with all 3 materials that should be on 3 different elements, but there is only one material shown in the viewport. When I select the various material IDs from the Material rollout in the Surface Properties rollout, it gets strange behavour.
supernat
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Postby Kuzz » 06 Jul 2011, 08:11

Well ^^, do you find some tips to avoid this problem ?
Maybe I have to re affect textures in 3DS Max ?

I will try it =)

Thanks
Kuzz
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Postby supernat » 08 Jul 2011, 02:05

There could be a new version of FBX out that fixes this, I haven't looked. I also believe assigning a real texture fixes the problem, instead of just using untextured materials, but I haven't verified that yet.
supernat
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Postby Kuzz » 19 Jul 2011, 07:47

HI !

I find an only way to correct this bug !

You have to use the 3DS Max 2011 Autodesk Collada 3.1 to export your model and it works !

Good luck ;)
Kuzz
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Return to Import