Home Tutorials Download Beta Store Forum Documentation KnowledgeBase Wiki Blog

ShiVa3D

Return to Final Work

Hostile Tower Defense

Final work

Hostile Tower Defense

Postby dbladez » 06 Jul 2011, 11:54

I am very excited to announce the release of our first game: Hostile Tower Defense.

Hostile TD is a unique 3D tower defense game with an unexpected twist.

You are faced with a hostile enemy that wishes to wipe out your continued existence by capturing your resources and devastating your worlds. These enemies also have weapons systems of their own and will stop at nothing to cause the utmost mayhem and destruction upon your towers.

A Unique Defense System – 3 types of damage protection consisting of Shields, Armour and Hull with a main Core needed for running vital systems. However be weary as the Core takes damage, all functions of your Weapons and Meta Cores will suffer.

Available now on the Android Market:
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.padxtek.hostiletowerdefense

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCu1fY6rICo

Featuring:
- 2 Game Modes:

Casual: For players who enjoy diving straight into the action game play.

Advanced: For players who enjoy a deep strategic game play researching different technologies and custom designs of Weapons, Cores and Projectiles.

- 5 different scenarios
- 100 levels
- Many different designs to choose from
- Over 45 Technologies to research
- 3 difficulty levels

Choose your own tactics to defeat the hostile enemies.

Additional detailed descriptions worth mentioning.

Building Types:

Meta Core – A well defended technologically advanced tower placed in the centre of a base that gives a small aura bonus to any weapons built on the same base platform.

Cannon – A well-rounded mass-driver weapon firing Shell Projectiles delivering good range, damage and piercing effects. The Cannon has a strong emphasis on all 3 types of damage protection with a well-built core to ensure a high survivability for the battle to come.

Launcher – A long-ranged warhead delivery system firing Missile Projectiles with a slower firing rate. The Launcher has a strong emphasis on high piercing effects to bypass straight through Shields, Armour and Hull to cause internal Core damage. The Launcher has low damage protection; however has a superior Core to ensure maximum carnage to those that wish to come across its path.

Laser – A short-ranged energy system utilizing rare Crystals to provide a fast firing rate. The Laser has a strong emphasis on dealing high end damage with low piercing effects to Shield protection systems. Once into a systems Core, the Laser proves worthy to burning up key enemy systems quickly. As a high energy based weapon, the Laser is able to sustain a vast Shield Array, however is limited with lower protection from Armour and Hull while containing a brittle core.

Thank you for your time and would love to hear your feedback.
dbladez
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: Hostile Tower Defense

Postby broozar » 06 Jul 2011, 14:04

you really should have invested in a graphics artist. the overall looks scream "prototype" and "look, my first game!" louder than "finished product ready for sale".
broozar
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby dbladez » 06 Jul 2011, 15:03

Hopefully it sells a million copies and I can afford to hire a sweet artist haha.

First game ever made, and everything made from scratch to learning everything, including Shiva and Blender for the first time. Coming from a more database background, I found I made it very detailed in options I find, fun to play and design new things and research different technologies. Which is more strategically involved it seems then another type of quick-play phone game.

I Currently started making a new dragon type game that'll be more fast paced and less options but hopefully it'll be fun as hell. See how it goes.
dbladez
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby broozar » 06 Jul 2011, 15:31

i know how happy one can be having finished the first game, having learned all the stuff and finally "defeated" all the problems along the way. you must be proud like a parent having heard their kid on the stage playing a piece for the first time, and for you it's probably the best thing you have ever heard/seen. still, from an objective point of view, i don't think this is competitive.

still, and i hope i don't sound too arrogant now, i congratulate you on your game, on overcoming all the development issues and having finally finished it, a small percentage of users/hobby developers get this far, and in that regard, you can really be proud of yourself. just don't quit your day job in hopes of being able to live from making games just yet.

regarding artists, there are quite a few around here who can't code at all [and can't use the search function, so they fill the forum with the same boring basic coding questions over and over again], and you obviously can pretty well, i wonder why so few people team up to do something cool together. i could see so much potential in this with your coding abilities.
broozar
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby dbladez » 06 Jul 2011, 16:14

Thank you for the feedback. Its definitely good to know, its good to be critical as it will only help me learn the ropes better.

Any good suggestions for the next version 1.1? Been thinking more landmarks to say, as yes it seems a little too clean. However I wasn't sure on making it too overwhelming and messy. As I was on the fence early on worrying about if I included too many 3D models it could have an effect on gameplay fps. However it seems as phones are becoming more and more powerful, it helps alot.

Learning LuA and Shiva also took a lot of the original development time, researching how to get it exported, eclipse, then to the market and all the hurdles was time consuming for reading into it all for the first time. Still much to learn though of course.

Thanks again for the response.
dbladez
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby Dany0 » 09 Jul 2011, 18:45

Don't believe him. The game looks very competitive enough. Way better then things you find at the appstore :lol: And on Android Market, 3d means mad returns. I don't know why there are quite little 3d games, but an exception is always good. Plus it looks veery detailed. Though you should invest little time into polishing it. Also find some stuff about how to do a good environment. Maybe gamedev.net would help. Your one problem is that the textures are not completely related. Yes, somehow. But it's still like pissing in the eyes of the gamer. You know what, if I remember right you have to bulk process all the textures w/ autolevel in photoshop... Dunno just trying to help... I'll get to it when I'll be on a real PC.
Shiva 2.0.
Dany0
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Postby dbladez » 10 Jul 2011, 06:33

Thanks for the review and tips. I'll research into what you wrote, any suggestions on how to make the textures more related? Or you mean like they don't all match together?

There is 9 different weapon models and as they level up they convert into new textures with 27 textures (materials with different textures) in total. Along with 9 different enemy ship weapon models and 9 enemy ship models each with 3 textures as they upgrade, along with the different project model types with textures for each. Ends with dozens and dozens of models with over 100's of different materials.

By environment I keep wondering if both posts mean, the environment is too 'clean' to say. As in, should I add in some trees, burning buildings, broken down ships etc etc..

By bulk processing the textures with autoleveling, do you mean say... the ambience of the material colour, being brighter or darker for certain gamma settings, or something completely different? Or are you referring to the HUD?

Thanks again for the response and being my first game, any help is greatly appreciated.
dbladez
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby Dany0 » 10 Jul 2011, 13:48

No, in Photoshop. Or GIMP because it can do bulk processing better. They don't match in terms of contrast and colour. They just don't go together. The "theme" is okay, but it's like apples and pears. Also can you try making the ground texture darker far away?

Yeah and you should fix the GUI. It'd be okay w/ Windows Mobile or resistive touchscreens, but on modern capacitive this is a no-no. The GUI should NEVER take more then 50% of the screen, NEVER. You should keep it simple, and if you can't at least shrink & make translucent.
Shiva 2.0.
Dany0
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Postby dbladez » 10 Jul 2011, 17:13

Luckily the GUI is only 45% and not 50%, could have been a close one haha. Was a hard decision to make it this size, however with the complexity and amount of the options the user is given. The only two solutions is cut options or break it into 2 separate GUI's. Since I really like the options, only way is to goto 2 GUI's, which in some cases were done and its still complex. The complexity and strategic gameplay is both great, and causes trouble for a user interface point of view.

As when selecting your tower, you are able to repair, sell, displays basic stats. You can change the towers mode into Offence, Defence or Utility which gives buffs and debuffs to their corresponding stats, choose for your weapons to target enemy ship cores or the enemy ship weapons, as well as the option to upgrade the weapon. We also found with a 3 stacked button situation, if they were any smaller, then the user would see more of the scene, except get very angry when he can't click on the tiny stacked button. And of course the GUI is only present when you wish it to be by selecting something that has many options.

Entire research lab is very complex with many options and very in depth, as is the workshop which we had to split into 2 huds since for Upgrading previous designs and Designing completely new items also gives many great options and with its system has a large display. Which of course the game includes Casual and Advanced mode which is kinda 2 different complexity type game choices.

In a small way it can sometimes feel as its a PC game that is made to work for a touchpad phone. Where currently learning and finally believing phone games seem to be for the user to waste time and not actually 'play' a game. However I hope to continue to build on this game over time, were also hoping to add in a the next version to setup where the user can control each weapon type with a manual override and each weapon having a unique style of gameplay. Not to mention releasing a Free Demo version at some point in the near future, which of course on its own is a great way to show off the system.

GIMP was what we used here, so I'll check out its bulk processing options. I'll look into the contrast and colour part, although with 100's of totally different styled materials. Sometimes its hard to make everything match nicely when its constantly changing as new ships and different ships with all different upgraded weapon levels and such on platforms.

Would the idea of demolished buildings and crashed ships // destroyed weapon parts lieing around burning for stronger atmosphere be a good addition, as opposed to the current clean system?

I'll end here though and thanks again for the advice thus far.
dbladez
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby dvidearts » 10 Jul 2011, 18:56

Congrats on your first game! Keep them coming :mrgreen:
dvidearts
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Postby Doublej » 14 Jul 2011, 18:10

Congrats, on releasing it really motivates a person to keep going. LOL its tough tho :)
Doublej
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Postby 3dFoin » 19 Jul 2011, 14:45

Not bad for the first game pal, keep it up :D
3dFoin
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby dbladez » 14 Dec 2011, 08:43

I recently released a new and improved version of Hostile TD. 1.3.1

Now also has a free version with 5 levels of both Casual and Advanced to test out all the functionality of the game. Advanced is really where its at.

Paid
Android: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.padxtek.hostiletowerdefense
iPhone/iPad: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hostile-td/id457188132?ls=1&mt=8

Free
Android: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.padxtek.hostiletdfree
iPhone/iPad: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hostile-td-free/id470466519?ls=1&mt=8

However, the main reason I am posting this. Is because of a problem I've had and couldn't figure out, and now have a comment about it given to me on my iPhone version.. And I figured its time to squash this problem, just spent the better half of today and still have made little to no progress on the problem. For Android its barely noticable, however on my iPhone 3GS its right in your face. Jitters. Lots of Model/Texture Jitters.

The portal / building / platforms, even the ships as they move, the textures twitch and jitter. This doesn't happen at all in the Editor Itself Beta 1 or Beta 2. Currently using Shiva 1.9.1 Beta 2 Editor. Has happend since Beta 1 and all throughout every UAT 1.2 Betas and all UAT 1.3 Betas. Open GLES 1.1 and 2.0.

Things I have tried with no success.
Turning off Dynamic Lightning, changing from Vertex to Pixel.
Changing Texture Parameters from Nearest, Bilinear and Trilinear.
Changing around almost every value in the Ambience Editor in all tabs.
Read the documentation several times over again.
I made over 100 builds, duplicated my buildings and would put each one a tiny bit different settings with multiple combinations of clicked and un-clicked settings.
Tried with Visible Distance values, Activation Distances, Frustum Activation, Occuldable, Reflectivable and Refractivable.

Material Alpha Rendering, Depth Writes, z-Shell.

Default Static Light set and Default Dynamic Light set.

Basically tried every option there is.

Something that gave me minor hope. Was Z-Offset. If I set some items between 1-3, it stops the jitter. However, this happy'ness was short lived as if the camera views these objects at a minor different angle. The jitters resurrect from the dead to haunt the scene.

I am guessing its something very simple that I am missing.

Anyone have any ideas about what may be causing this?

Thanks.
dbladez
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby gamescorpion » 14 Dec 2011, 09:33

Go to each specific texture and play around with the AlphaRef value (Usually put it higher). Also play around with ZBuffer and Depth write. NOTE: AlphaRef apparently uses memory or something from what I remember, but I may be wrong.

But ya the above usually solves the texture jitters for me :)

Nav
Game Scorpion Inc. http://www.gamescorpion.com
JOIN MY TRAINING AND APP RESOURCE MEGA SITE - App Dev Toolkit (The #1 Resource For App Developers):
http://www.AppDevToolkit.com
gamescorpion
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby dbladez » 14 Dec 2011, 13:28

Been trying what you said, however having bad luck.

Problem is its every texture. Every single texture in my entire game, which is several hundred. I fix it in one area, but if that same model is moved a bit, or in the next scene its in a little different place, then its the same problem all over again.

Been playing with about 30 textures atm to see if I can get them going ok.
Playing with the Z Offset, Alpha Ref, Depth Write and Use Z Shell for transparency.
Not sure exactly where the Z Buffer is in options, unless thats just the Z Offset.

I am wondering if there is another option, like in the Ambience Settings, turn up a value for distance checking.

Could the problem be that the Camera is about 100 Shiva Units away from almost every object in my scene. Should I be trying to scale everything down so its only say 50 Units away, or lower? Be a mighty undertaking, but it can't be much worse then trial and error with over 500 textures making builds and copying them over to the MAC and cleaning n and building.

Or some check-box I'm not checking somewhere, has to be something in the ambience editor to turn up the juice at a loss of a few fps and cause this headache to go away.

Or is this just an iPhone 3GS problem? as my Android Motorola Atrix barely has this problem.

Thanks again.
dbladez
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Next

Return to Final Work