Home Tutorials Download Beta Store Forum Documentation KnowledgeBase Wiki Blog

ShiVa3D

Return to News

New Post : ShiVa “end of the year” roadmap

Re: New Post : ShiVa “end of the year” roadmap

Postby broozar » 12 Jan 2012, 00:03

thanks for clarifying. so i will wait for 2.0 to actually arrive before updating.

concerning 2.0 betas, you know, you could create a lot of buzz with those and stir up the community quite a bit... i could see new shiva minute videos arriving simultaneously with the 2.0 release, user could convert/modify their plugins so they would be ready on time, and a lot more.

;)
broozar
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby vklymenko » 13 Jan 2012, 13:30

hey there, I want to discover some fresh features in the new version,
and was wonder about next:

- I see its possible to add XML-files into game-resources,
its better now, so I don't need to find the xml file outside, edit, then re-add
to a xml-variable : ) I think Im making some wrong structure of xml,
because however I'll save it - its displaying as mess of tags - is there a way to organize it?
- what are dynamic fonts, and is there posibility to add shadows to static fonts? how to use that?
- any tips for retina display? in most cases 480x320 looks blured, and 960x640 art looks some kind "distorted". Im using some middle sizes between those and it looks good on retina, but I was wondering about experience from other devs about that : )
vklymenko
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby giggsy » 13 Jan 2012, 13:52

vklymenko wrote: - I see its possible to add XML-files into game-resources,

Thanks for pointing that out!
I was waiting for beta 3 ... didn't figure that 1.9.1 is already released AND contains theses changes :D

vklymenko wrote: - any tips for retina display? in most cases 480x320 looks blured, and 960x640 art looks some kind "distorted". Im using some middle sizes between those and it looks good on retina, but I was wondering about experience from other devs about that : )

What do you mean with distorted?
We use "content scale factor" = 2.0 in UAT which sets the viewport to retina if available.
giggsy
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby vklymenko » 13 Jan 2012, 14:10

We use "content scale factor" = 2.0 in UAT which sets the viewport to retina if available.

hm, Im using 1.0 always in UAT, then converting to universal build,
then Im picking one of 3 graphics packages:
Code: Select all
    UIDevice* currentDevice = [UIDevice currentDevice];
    if(currentDevice.userInterfaceIdiom == UIUserInterfaceIdiomPad) 
    {
        S3DClient_SendEventToCurrentUser("MainAI","onLoadScreen_1024",NULL);
    }
    else{

CGFloat screenScale = [[UIScreen mainScreen] scale];

if (screenScale == 1.0f)
        {
            S3DClient_SendEventToCurrentUser("MainAI","onLoadScreen_480",NULL);
        }
        else
        {
            S3DClient_SendEventToCurrentUser("MainAI","onLoadScreen_960",NULL);
       }

for example Im using a cartoon character like this:
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT6-Vs1rCiRovEaaUYEGv_caZoU0T1rkvbw45HKBZxS5BN1iMM
if I'll make it for 480x320 screen - it looks good on iphone 3gs, but sure looks blured on retina
if I'll take size as for 960x640 - it looks good on iPad, but have some kind of "antialias" on retina.
so if im taking some "middle" size between 480x320 and 960x640 and using it on retina - then it looks good more or less.
I was wondering are there any other solutions. I was thinking to try to use .png with very-high DPI as retina requires, but engine converts it to tga?

edit: I mean something like pixels shift, because sources images are big, but screen is small
vklymenko
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby GameAmour » 13 Jan 2012, 16:09

I was under the impression that Bada OS and Symbian support come with 1.9.1, but I dont see it in the UAT...

Are those platforms coming in 2.0 release? Also, it would be great to see AIP support for other platforms then iOS/Android, namely Symbian and Bada :wink:

I know there is a Marmalade path, but it would be nice to be as close to the hardware as possible...
GameAmour
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby vklymenko » 19 Jan 2012, 22:48

hi, I think engine changing to 2.0 automaticly right? so if you're starting a game and this game has 960x640 graphics - its taking it as fullscreen. Thats how it working in my game. But the problem is that its looking same as on device with 480x320, but it should looks kind of sharp on retina. I was wondering is there way to get this. Im using some "middle" graphics size between 480x320 and 960x640 and it looks good more or less (I mean only 2d images, HUD). Its ok, I can live with that, but I'll hate myself if I'll miss some method to get better, more precise/sharp look of graphics - maybe using 300 dpi PNGs or apply "assign to nearest pixels" or replace some .tga "done with engine" with own etc. Anyway I'll be greatful also for a links to games, which are 2d and are "retina ready" to take a look..

edit: I used 2.0 setting for scale factor and art looks AWESOME on retina display. I didn't know that before lol, 1.0 was displaying art also, so I missed it in few games, probably will re-release them : ) people!!! never forget about 2.0 scale factor for retina!!!! : )
vklymenko
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby jdebroy » 21 Jan 2012, 03:11

Nicox, I originally purchased a 1.8 unlimited license. Will I have a special upgrade price, that of $200? Technically is a 1.x license.
jdebroy
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Postby Xdust » 21 Jan 2012, 04:34

jdebroy wrote:Nicox, I originally purchased a 1.8 unlimited license. Will I have a special upgrade price, that of $200? Technically is a 1.x license.

They are running a 50% off special right now. You can buy both the Advanced and basic at 50% off.

Which is just as good as an upgrade price.
Xdust
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Previous

Return to News