Home Tutorials Download Beta Store Forum Documentation KnowledgeBase Wiki Blog

ShiVa3D

Return to RIM BlackBerry Tablet OS

Signed my app, but simulator complains it isn't signed

BlackBerry Tablet OS and BlackBerry 10

Signed my app, but simulator complains it isn't signed

Postby neilb » 07 Feb 2012, 08:20

I'm having a go at building an app for the Blackberry Playbook.

Everything works, up to the point of actually running the app on the simulator. I don't have a device, so this is the only way I can do it.

It's reporting error 8 which apparently translates to the app not being signed, yet it is signed with a debug key and the debug key has been loaded onto the device.

Has anyone got the simulator to work with the UAT?

Edit:

If you help me out by the 13th of Feb, then we'll both have a chance to get free Blackberry Playbooks because we'll both know how to test a Blackberry app without having a Blackberry device.

http://us.blackberry.com/developers/tablet/playbook_offer2012.jsp
neilb
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: Signed my app, but simulator complains it isn't signed

Postby giggsy » 07 Feb 2012, 09:21

+1

Would be interesting if simulator technically works at all!
giggsy
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby neilb » 07 Feb 2012, 09:30

I just tried again with a simple "Hello World" app and no luck. The app installs, but it immediately quits with error 8.

I'm currently trying to figure out how to read the debug log to see if that will shed any light on what's going on.

Edit:

I've tried debug builds, distribution builds, I've recreated the keys, I've uploaded the keys to the device with the QNX IDE and tried again via the command line. All efforts result in error 8.

That's all I can do.
neilb
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby NiCoX » 07 Feb 2012, 16:40

Hi,

Are you using NDK 1.0 or 2.0.betaX? Because UAT 1.3.1 PlayBook engine is compliant with NDK 1.0 only.

Also, perhaps you'll find some clues here:
http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Native-SDK-for-BlackBerry-Tablet/Error-Running-Sample-Native-2-0-Apps-on-Simulator/td-p/1509209

(but for info here at ST we did never test on the simulator, only on real devices. That said, that *should* work...)
NiCoX
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby neilb » 07 Feb 2012, 21:56

I'm using the correct NDK.

I can't get a single app to work, whether signed as debug or with proper keys.

In the absence of further information I have to assume that the simulator is what's failing. As far as I can tell I'm doing everything correctly, I've followed all steps, and the results I've gotten are the same as outlined in various guides, with the exception that the app won't run.

If you want to submit an app for Blackberry you'll need to sign up today. It takes them several days to process applications before you can upload, so if you wait till Thursday or Friday, unless they decide to work over the weekend, there's probably not much chance you'll get your application approved in time. You can upload the actual app at any time once your account is approved.
neilb
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby neilb » 08 Feb 2012, 22:49

NiCoX, now that a number of people are reporting the same "error 8" problem with the simulator, could you get one of your team to try and build a simple app and test it on both a device and the simulator?

It could be that the simulator is completely broken, but the app will actually work if it's submitted, but none of use can find out because nobody has a device.
neilb
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby neilb » 09 Feb 2012, 21:35

Thanks for that.

Blackberry seem to be making this extra hard. I've not seen it documented anywhere that the simulator runs a different architecture to the actual device.

Not to mention using "error 8" as an apparent catch-all for an architecture mismatch, which are completely different issues. Every result in my searches of Blackberry's support forums said that the app wasn't signed.

It makes it too difficult to develop for Blackberry using Shiva without also owning a device, unless Stonetrip can add a "build for simulator" option to the UAT.
neilb
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby LiVe » 10 Feb 2012, 19:52

neilb wrote:Thanks for that.

Blackberry seem to be making this extra hard. I've not seen it documented anywhere that the simulator runs a different architecture to the actual device.

Not to mention using "error 8" as an apparent catch-all for an architecture mismatch, which are completely different issues. Every result in my searches of Blackberry's support forums said that the app wasn't signed.

It makes it too difficult to develop for Blackberry using Shiva without also owning a device, unless Stonetrip can add a "build for simulator" option to the UAT.

I wouldn't say that RIM makes this extra hard since it's the same for iOS and Android as well. Most mobile devices that we're developing for are based on ARM while a pc / mac is uses x86. I haven't tested Shiva on the iOS / Android simulator since we have enough devices in-house, but as long as those libraries aren't build for both architectures, the won't run either.

I'm not really a virtualization expert, so i'm not sure if vmware have something that can emulate an arm platform on a x86 machine. :)

It's always difficult to develop for a platform without the device your app will be running on. There's always the possibility that something won't work or works slightly different, not to mention performance differences, ...
LiVe
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby neilb » 10 Feb 2012, 22:05

I'm not just talking about one thing being difficult, it seems to me that they've made the whole thing unnecessarily hard.

I only found out about the Playbook offer by accident and they apparently didn't bother to tell Stonetrip, a paid sponsor of their Euro DevCon and a company that makes software that allows easy porting of apps to the Playbook.

It was initially only for Android devs, but their other developers kicked up a fuss so they were forced to open it up to everyone a few hours after announcing it. They really didn't expect their faithful developers to be annoyed by the giveaway?

They started the offer four days before the Blackberry Euro DevCon. Surely they could have waited a few extra days made a fuss over it at the conference? That would have given developers at the conference that maximum amount of time to submit something if they hadn't already heard about the offer.

Then there's the simulator issue. Surely such a MAJOR ISSUE should have had it's own unique error code? At the very least, it would have been nice to have seen it documented somewhere that the simulator runs x86 code.
neilb
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Return to RIM BlackBerry Tablet OS