Home Tutorials Download Beta Store Forum Documentation KnowledgeBase Wiki Blog

ShiVa3D

Return to Getting Started

Shiva in a DLL?

You feel lost? You don't understand how to use ShiVa?

Shiva in a DLL?

Postby Shaping » 08 Feb 2012, 11:39

Is Shiva, the engine, available as a DLL? I want to interface to it with my Smallltalk environment's FFI, which can handle the usual C calling conventions--CDECL, STDCALL, and FASTCALL?
Shaping
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Re: Shiva in a DLL?

Postby NiCoX » 08 Feb 2012, 12:21

Hi,

The engine is available as a static library (you can find it in the UAT installation folder), so you can easily create a DLL from it :)
NiCoX
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby Shaping » 17 Feb 2012, 08:43

Can you build the DLL for me, and send it to me in an attachment? I need a C-based API, something I can use as Leadwerks is currently used. Otherwise, I have a lot of remapping to do: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/windowssearch/thread/2f57439d-f939-44e8-a27b-dc3cddd80066

I cannot change my programming environment, without losing much efficiency, because I've built-up so much code over the years. I don't understand why this need/situation for greater modularity was not anticipated. Does no one else on this forum need to use a graphics engine by linking to a DLL?
Last edited by Shaping on 17 Feb 2012, 11:59, edited 1 time in total.
Shaping
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby Xdust » 17 Feb 2012, 11:14

Shaping wrote:Can you build the DLL for me, and send it to me in an attachment? I need a C-based API, something I can use as Leadwerks in currenlty used. Otherwise, I have a lot of remapping to do: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/windowssearch/thread/2f57439d-f939-44e8-a27b-dc3cddd80066

I cannot change my programming environment, without losing much efficiency, because I've build-up so much code over the years. I don't understand why this need/situation for greater modularity was not anticipated. Does no one else on this forum need to use a graphics engine by linking to a DLL?

Yea, a compiled DLL would be great for me also. That bloody ".Lib" takes 2 minutes to compile.

I could save a TON of time on my server if i had a DLL to work with.

And I cant Imagine it would be hard for Stonetrip to make at all.
Xdust
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Postby Shaping » 17 Feb 2012, 11:57

Thanks, I'm feeling much saner now. I hope we get our DLL.
Shaping
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby Shaping » 19 Feb 2012, 10:48

Can the lead developers at stonetrip please provide the requested DLL? I can do nothing useful with Shiva until I have a DLL. Thank you.
Shaping
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby NiCoX » 19 Feb 2012, 13:18

Hi,

If you really need a DLL version quickly, you have 2 options:
- use the WebPlayer DLL
- create a DLL from the static library (basically by adding a DllMain and export few functions)

The best way is the second one, because you'll be able to fully control what you need to expose to your program.

Unfortunately we don't have the DLL version of the standalone engine, and we currently do not have time to create the project, include it in our automated compiling server (because you'll need a version for each engine update), etc. If that was just a "hit a button and send you the file" I would have done it before... but it's unfortunately not the case :(
NiCoX
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby Shaping » 20 Feb 2012, 06:38

NiCoX wrote:Hi,

- use the WebPlayer DLL
- create a DLL from the static library (basically by adding a DllMain and export few functions)

The best way is the second one, because you'll be able to fully control what you need to expose to your program.

Unfortunately we don't have the DLL version of the standalone engine, and we currently do not have time to create the project, include it in our automated compiling server (because you'll need a version for each engine update), etc. If that was just a "hit a button and send you the file" I would have done it before... but it's unfortunately not the case :(

I only need the functions, one of which would be to init the DLL (state-machine for the engine). What is DllMain for? How large is the Shiva API (for complete control of engine and scene state)?

I'm not following the versioning issue at all: If you are automatically compiling a static library, you can automatically compile the matching DLL. The two would have the same APIs.
Shaping
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby Shaping » 20 Feb 2012, 10:24

NiCoX wrote:Hi,

- use the WebPlayer DLL

What is the WebPlayer DLL, and why would I not want to use it?
Shaping
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby default » 21 Feb 2012, 23:15

I just wanted to chime in that I could also really use a DLL version of the engine, or maybe some info on where to find and how to use the webplayer DLL.
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby ale870 » 13 Mar 2013, 03:13

I was interested also.
1) what is webplayer dll?
2) Is there any way to make a wrapper for c#?

Thank you!
ale870
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby broozar » 13 Mar 2013, 15:18

the old web player files (1.8.1 installer) are located in C:\Users\$username\AppData\LocalLow\StoneTrip\WebPlayer1.8.1\, note these files are fairly old (2010). i'd recommend using the S3DClient.dll located in C:\Users\$username\AppData\Roaming\Stonetrip\Player.
broozar
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby ale870 » 13 Mar 2013, 15:45

Thank you @broozar.
Please can you briefly tell me how I can use it via c#?
ale870
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby broozar » 13 Mar 2013, 16:07

sorry, no expert on that. what is it you are trying to achieve?

if you are searching for a way to code games with c#, maybe the c++ export function in shiva can help you, which will generate a visual studio solution, but it's c++. also check out the SDK files inside the Authoring Tool installation folder
(ShiVa Authoring Tool\Data\Windows\Windows\Build , a dll file is also in there).
There is no ready to go solution for c# and ShiVa.
broozar
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby ale870 » 13 Mar 2013, 16:44

I think in version 1.9 a big problem is script implementation. So I wanted to bypass it using an external language, and c# (via mono) could be a productive solution.
THank you.
ale870
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Next

Return to Getting Started