Home Tutorials Download Beta Store Forum Documentation KnowledgeBase Wiki Blog

ShiVa3D

Return to Getting Started

colliders and dynamics

You feel lost? You don't understand how to use ShiVa?

colliders and dynamics

Postby alias_noa » 26 Feb 2012, 04:35

I'm trying to figure out how the colliders and dynamics work in shiva3d. I have made a town using several buildings which might be a bit high on the poly count. I was wondering if it would help for me just to have the buildings for looks, and make invisible collider walls where the player would collide with the buildings. Does it really matter how many high poly models there are if none of them are colliders?

I guess what I'm asking is, could I make a game with amazing high poly models, and still play it on a device like iphone 3gs simply because all of the high-poly stuff is not set as a collider? Or would it take even more resources because you have double the objects...like say 10 buildings that aren't colliders, plus like all of the walls which are static colliders?
alias_noa
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Re: colliders and dynamics

Postby capiright » 27 Feb 2012, 08:36

Hi,

There are a few questions here and I'll try to simplify
1. The number of polygons will impact your performance regardless of colliders so make sure you optimize well
2. The number of colliders can also impact performance. Remember that the simplest collision check is against spheres (radius only) and then boxes and the simpler your shape it will be faster to check. So yes I'd recommend using invisible boxes.
3. An non-visible (visible == false) object is not getting rendered so it shouldn't impact your draw calls. However it can get updated and send events thus having some impact on your run. Still I always prefer simple shapes for collision tests.
capiright
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby error454 » 27 Feb 2012, 17:00

Every frame drawn has to draw all the visible polygons on the screen. So on average, 30 times every second, you have to draw every visible polygon. Typically polycount will affect game performance more than anything else.

I would recommend testing your scene on your target low end device early on to see whether your models need to be decimated.
error454
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby alias_noa » 01 Mar 2012, 01:35

Thanks guys! That totally answered my question. I have a lot of buildings in my scene where there are parts of the building that the player doesn't even see, so I think I should do a lot of cutting. I know a ton of ways to improve performance now. Based on what you said, I think I should cut out the parts of the buildings which won't be seen, and probably make square collider walls (invisible) to overlap the buildings. I may even be able to cut enough of the buildings to just make them colliders, but I doubt it because they still have a lot of pointless polygons, well pointless for colliders but not pointless because they make them look more real.

Thanks again!
alias_noa
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Return to Getting Started