Home Tutorials Download Beta Store Forum Documentation KnowledgeBase Wiki Blog

ShiVa3D

Return to Google Android

I want to buy an Android for development, I don't know wich

Google Play Store, Amazon Kindle, Nook, and so many more

I want to buy an Android for development, I don't know wich

Postby DarkSoul » 03 Mar 2012, 11:43

Hello.
I want to make games for android the next month, but I don't know which phone to buy, so I want your recomendation. I want the phone for game development, but also for calling, play games, etc. I see a phone with Android 4.0, but I don't know if Shiva is compatible with it, is it? What phone is better for game development?
What are the specifications for the game development on android? Polygons, max texture size, etc...
DarkSoul
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Re: I want to buy an Android for development, I don't know wich

Postby Fraser » 03 Mar 2012, 12:50

Hi DarkSoul,

You dont need a super powerful android device. You can go for a low to mid range with android 2.3 or lower. Not many people out there have android 4.

You want to know how your developed software performs on the average device out there. You want to keep the FPS over 30 on the average device at all times.

I got a Medion 4310 phone with android 2.3 on it which was 200 euros, it's fairly good and I'm happy with it. Every day I test my developnig game on it and make sure it never drops below 30FPS.

If you do get a powerful device for development testing then you may want to underclock it to match the performance of a more average device.

Good luck with it all.
Fraser Ashworth,
https://www.cortex7.net
Fraser
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby neilb » 03 Mar 2012, 14:26

I use a HTC Desire as my base test device, which has slightly faster CPU than Fraser's Medion, but is otherwise pretty similar. Basically anything that's about 800MHz - 1GHz with an 840x480 pixel screen will do for a minimum. I wouldn't look at a lower resolution phone than that because the speed a game runs at is affected by the number of pixels on the screen. Fewer pixels will make you think your game is running faster than it really will on a typical device.

It's not going to be the best phone for gaming, but it will be OK for daily use, and it won't be expensive.

If you've got the budget and wanted to get a gaming device for daily use, then I'd say get yourself a Galaxy SII or a Galaxy Nexus, both of which are examples of high end devices. You could get a cheap/second hand 800MHz-1GHz, 840x480 any-brand device off eBay just for testing purposes. That would cover you for both extremes.

You generally wouldn't want to use more than about 3,000 to 5,000 polygons for an older gen device (like a typical budget 1GHz phone), and steer clear of too many fancy material features. You'll also notice a framerate reduction if all the textures you use add up to more than 1024x1024 pixels in size. The effect starts off slow, but the framerate will rapidly drop off as the total texture area increases.

Finally, I'd build apps to target Android 2.2 as a minimum. The vast majority of devices run 2.2 or higher, and the only ones less than that are usually the really poor, slow, 1st gen devices. 2.2 was also the first to introduce some significant performance improvements which makes your job a little bit easier.
Last edited by neilb on 04 Mar 2012, 11:05, edited 1 time in total.
neilb
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby pixelsmoke » 03 Mar 2012, 17:03

Well I have a Motorola Atrix 2, fairly new. 1 GHz dual-core processor, runs Gingerbread.

If you are getting an Android device; Android 4.0 has many good development options. Gingerbread is mainstream. If you get a medium range device, then you can always root it and install 4.0. If you plan to keep this device for a while, then go for something powerful. The way technology is progressing, within a year quad-core phones will become popular. The first quad-core phone is coming soon:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/243380/quadcore_htc_edge_revealed_maybe.html?tk=rel_news

It all depends on how you are going to use it, and your budget. If you plan to develop for it, for like a year, then go for a mid-range phone. Any longer, then a faster phone would make more sense.
pixelsmoke
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby kalango » 03 Mar 2012, 18:25

I'm using a 2.2 OS Archos70 tablet and i always try to push my FPS to 60. The tablet has a nice GPU and can play most games in the market right now, and its hardware is below most of the current gaming devices out there. You can try low end devices to ensure FPS quality and multiple device playability or you can buy a high end device to ensure graphic quality for more hardcore gamers. Its up to you.
kalango
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Postby error454 » 04 Mar 2012, 10:59

good answers here already,I thought I'd pitch in on some of your other questions. There aren't any devices that make game development any easier or harder, any android device will do and the development process is identical for all devices. Shiva runs on everything from 2.1 to 4.0.

My personal device is quite fast (HTC Vivid) so I leverage my friends and family to get some testing on lower end devices.
error454
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby DarkSoul » 05 Mar 2012, 14:10

Thanks for the answers!
I think I will buy a phone with Android 2.2, but one more question... if I have an Android 4.0, this S.O have some option for simulate the old S.O? for example the 2.2, this option could be very interesting.
DarkSoul
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Postby error454 » 05 Mar 2012, 16:30

You can still run apps compiled for the older versions and if you set targetVersion in the manifest it will disable certain later features in the OS. 4.0 is such a huge departure from previous versions that I don't know what the compatibility layer is like when running against older targets. But on the 2.x line, running a 2.3 device against a 2.1 target effectively disables all of the new API calls.
error454
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby Kummiseta » 30 Mar 2012, 12:48

I have Samsung Galaxy S2 with Android 4.0.3, and Shiva apps work fine on it.
ShiVa3D Advanced Galaxy S2 GTX 570 OC XF8 Cubase 6.5 Blender 2.6 UU3D 3.6 GIMP 2.8 WavePad 4.2
Kummiseta
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Postby giggsy » 30 Mar 2012, 18:09

I personally have a HTC Desire, which sucks in terms of internal memory if you don't root it (rooting is easy with e.g. cyanogenmod though).

Without knowing the exact price, the Samsung Galaxy S (not S2) should be in the same price range as the Desire, but has better hardware (at least what I can tell from our Shiva-tests) ... so before getting a Desire again, I'd pick the Galaxy.
giggsy
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby dreamora » 30 Mar 2012, 18:59

Galaxy S has significantly better hardware.
HTC Desire is 2008 hardware, the Galaxy S is a 2010 CPU and GPU and even it runs in circles around the HTC Desire. The only desires you can consider are the HTC Desire HD, Desire Z and the even newer ones as they have 2010 Qualcomm chips, not 2008 ones.
(I happen to own a HTC Desire for testing as its the weakest and worst hardware reasonably supportable with 3D games)

The Galaxy S is actually the successor chipset to what Samsung built for Apple for the iPhone4 / iTouch4 / iPad1, just with the difference that apple replaced the good GPU in the Hummingbird used in the Galaxy S with a far cheaper and weaker one (SGX540 -> SGX535)
I'm no stonetrip representative, just a happy board member like you :)

If you find my portfolio interesting, feel free to contact me or follow my shares on my twitter stream or my game development blog
dreamora
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby broozar » 30 Mar 2012, 20:59

know your target audience, and know what kind of game you want to make. sure, the majority is still running gingerbread on cortex a8 processors. but what do those users typically do, check emails, check facebook, run angry birds, and run free(mium) apps. if that is a business model for you, go ahead.

if you want to bring console-quality gaming to android devices, go buy an omap 4 or tegra 2/3 (tablet) device. sure those devices have a single-digit market share, but take the nvidia tegra zone for example: a store esp. made for those console-quality games on tegra devices. there are like 10 games in there, and 3 that are playworthy. your app will stand out, and you will get sales. those apps on the tegra zone usually go for 4 to 5 usd. for me, there would be no question where i would try to enter the market.
broozar
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby DeLouka » 31 Mar 2012, 12:16

Fraser wrote:You want to know how your developed software performs on the average device out there.

Agreed.

Personally I bought a samsung galaxy gio for this matter (android 2.3), which has relatively good specs but is quite cheap, so I figured it could become a performance standard in the next few months/year for lower end devices.
DeLouka
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Postby Rotundjere2 » 02 Apr 2012, 04:25

I strongly suggest HTC Sensation (Adreno 220 GPU) or wait until HTC One S released to the market (with Adreno 225 GPU).

I've tested on HTC Sensation (Adreno 220) the CarGame from shiva sample project which contain alot of polygons & vertex and the FPS is about 60-90 fps :lol:

I also have old Motorola Droid (PowerVR SGX 530), it able to run CarGame but only about 5-10 fps :cry:
Rotundjere2
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Postby Kummiseta » 02 Apr 2012, 07:13

Making games is not always about making maximum profit. Sometimes you want to make a game with maximum quality and/or maximum technology, because it brings also lots of benefits being a technology leader, as you get in the newspapars and get good marketing, and possibly subcontractors.
ShiVa3D Advanced Galaxy S2 GTX 570 OC XF8 Cubase 6.5 Blender 2.6 UU3D 3.6 GIMP 2.8 WavePad 4.2
Kummiseta
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Return to Google Android