Join us and chat about ShiVa: http://mibbit.com/#shiva@irc.shivaplace.com:6669\
Or connect your IRC client to: irc.shivaplace.com:6669
Benton
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Re: Shiva 2.0 open discussion

Postby ungana » 05 Mar 2012, 20:21

Benton wrote:Wow that's worth $800!

Yeah. Before the server went down it said they were offering it through April 8 I believe. You have plenty of time to get it. Even if you don't use it right away. I plan to get it in the event these guys show nothing before GDC is over.
ungana
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby michax » 05 Mar 2012, 21:21

Wow, i wouldn't expect that kind of move from Unity. I wonder if free version forces Unity3d splash. Either way nice deal.
michax
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby Benton » 05 Mar 2012, 21:32

Unless you have Unity Pro, it will force a splash. But this is an amazing deal, and if it goes on through March, then it will be a huge draw to Unity. I think Unity is trying to draw as many people to use Unity for mobile development, because many people use Unity Free for PC games because it's free. Now, they can also develop for mobile. It might even be worth it to get Unity Pro, and bundle it with the free iOS and Android. This has just gotten a lot more interesting.
Benton
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Postby RedQueen » 05 Mar 2012, 22:15

Wow I am a hoarder I HAVE to add that to my collection.
RedQueen
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby redmotion » 05 Mar 2012, 22:57

Wow, that is a totally aggressive move!
Wow I am a hoarder I HAVE to add that to my collection.

Me too, my Steam account is making my computer's hard-drive cry.
redmotion
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby radek_ne » 05 Mar 2012, 23:40

Unity in the Basic version is very limited. They have few tools better, fact. But Unity also has its drawbacks. I prefer to use Shiva. Unfortunately, communication with Stonestrip is weak, no shop, no ready-made solutions built-in editor, for example, drag n drop joypad. Nevertheless, I like this tool, and certainly I'll be using it.

I think that the possibility of publication in various devices including BlackBerry, Xbox, Ps3 at the moment it arises only on-line shopping is a great advantage. Competition is growing and flexibility are essential.
radek_ne
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Postby redmotion » 06 Mar 2012, 00:45

Unity in the Basic version is very limited

Don't get me wrong, I'm going to be using Shiva for a while yet. But my next long-term project may be using AR and Stonetrip don't seem bothered about creating an mobile AR plugin for Shiva. If Unity is free for a month, then I'll have an AR plugin and the ability to publish a 3d AR game to Android/iOS for nothing. Can't ignore that.
redmotion
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby RedQueen » 06 Mar 2012, 01:00

Unity in the Basic version is very limited

Its more of a collection thing for me and I can't pass up FREE. I dished out $$ to finally become a Unlimited Shiva user so I will be utilizing it to the fullest and I will have shadows. :D

But I am like everyone else waiting for the features of 2.0.
RedQueen
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby ungana » 06 Mar 2012, 01:16

I am leaning towards reevaluating ShiVa once 2.0 comes out. It seems to have a lot of promise and does have a lot of things going for it over it's competitors. However in it's current state I feel like I will be taking a step back. All our tools are on the Mac platform and I do not want us to have to work in a Virtual Environment.

I also feel a little mislead by the company and it I don't like it. They have our money now and are not living up to what they said and that bothers me. It's ok to miss your target. It is not ok to miss your target and not communicate with the customer about it.

I am sure it will work out in the end. I can't imagine personally trying to put one of these engines or toolkits together. It gives us a chance to make some amazing games with considerably less effort than coding it all by hand. I do appreciate that these tools exist and companies like Unity and ShiVa make it a little more affordable for us to do this.
ungana
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby Benton » 06 Mar 2012, 04:31

exactly
Benton
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Postby stevz » 06 Mar 2012, 09:36

I hope they shut up our mouths soon with a 2.0 version full of new and interesting features.

Anyway, I've been using Shiva PLE for half a year and now I've purchased the Basic 1.9.1 version (nice offer!), and for me it's impressive what it offers for such a low price. Obviously, I'm talking about using Shiva for small-mediums mobile games, for other things it could be not enough, but I think this is the market Stonetrip is focusing on. Probably they prefer to increase the amount of "little" customers by adding new platforms and things like that, than focus the work in the "big" customers that want top-generation graphics effects and tools oriented to develop desktop or console big games.

For me, one of the best changes I would like to be implemented in v2.0 is a "StoneScript 2.0", with an OOP approach, inheritance, etc etc. The current script system is enough for my current project, but it could be a pain in the ass if I try to create something a bit more complex in the future.
Developing sci-fi platformer Invertium. Visit http://www.lunar-kingdom.com
stevz
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Postby varnado » 06 Mar 2012, 10:14

Shiva supports more platforms than any other engine with similar price. I can not wait for v2.0 features, exciting times :D
Web-Site:S.G.A.
varnado
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Postby neilb » 06 Mar 2012, 11:16

For cross-platform portable development, Shiva is great, even if the scripting could do with a bit of a re-design to help us keep our code tidy. I'm a big fan of the recently introduced Playbook support :D

All I want is 2.0 to be released, and for it to be Mac and Linux compatible as originally planned. Then I can get rid of Windows and put together a proper build environment.

Once it's out, we can all get on with our lives.

It has to have been consuming significant resources to improve the 1.x series, and build 2.0 for all the time they've been working on it. Once it's done, the 1.x series can finally be retired and I'm sure Stonetrip and Shiva will be the better for it.
neilb
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby RawenGroup » 06 Mar 2012, 11:33

This forum is going for a long time. Interesting, the stronestrip did not speak to him.
Dont have any sign from 2.0 version.
RawenGroup
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

PreviousNext

Return to Misc