Home Tutorials Download Beta Store Forum Documentation KnowledgeBase Wiki Blog

ShiVa3D

Return to Installation & Configuration

UAT does not find Xcode (now as app)  [SOLVED]

UAT does not find Xcode (now as app)  [SOLVED]

Postby jdebroy » 16 Mar 2012, 17:41

Hi,
I usually work on windows, but just purchased an iMac to start with iOS and Mac OSX development.
I installed Xcode from the appstore, and noted that it was offered previously as download, now as am app. Hence, it installs on the /Applications folder instead of /Developer.
On the windows machine exported the stk packages of a couple of games I wanted to test and copied it to the iMac.

Installed the latest UAT 1.3.1 for mac OSX, and it opens perfectly the stk, but when building it, it stops with a message telling Xcodebuild not found.
So I changed the "settings" Xcode folder to /Applications instead of /Developer. It keeps telling the not found message and can not build.

On the applications folder, there is a single xcode icon, so I can not browse to see where xcodebuild is, and since am a Mac noob, am not sure what to do.

I tested with marmalade, and also with iStencylworks, and they also have trouble locating xcode, but when I run xcode itself, I can edit, compile, simulate and build any app using objective C.

Maybe the developers can test on a completely new mac (to get rid of old xcode installs) and follow my procedure. I don't recall the app store asking for an xcode location, it just installed there in full with no options given.
jdebroy
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Re: UAT does not find Xcode (now as app)

Postby jdebroy » 16 Mar 2012, 20:13

Wow. This seems like UAT needs an upgrade related to the problem. I have MacOSX Lion 10,7,3 and my install is new. The file xcodebuild is on /usr/bin as the Apple person said.

Answer from Apple:
Mac OS X now ships with a version of xcodebuild in /usr/bin (and we have in fact long been installing a copy there from the Xcode installer). External clients (like the third party tools that you mention) should be using this copy (or xcrun), as it knows how to find your installed copy of Xcode wherever that may live (by relying on the information provided by xcode-select).
If you're on Mac OS X 10.7.3 and don't have a copy of xcodebuild in /usr/bin, please re-run the Mac OS X 10.7.3 combo installer package.
External clients who have hardcoded dependencies on /Developer were Not Doing It Right already before Xcode 4.3 shipped, but would now really be on the hook for re-thinking their approach. Even before Xcode 4.3 we supported installing more than one copy of Xcode on a system, and we also supported renaming / moving your /Developer folder to wherever. External clients that did not also support this were already broken.
jdebroy
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Postby Markuzzzz » 16 Mar 2012, 23:51

check this site:
http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/13621/apple-xcode
and

set your uat settings to:/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer

it will build then.
http://www.nifty-inspirations.com, because simple things are hard to find!
Markuzzzz
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby jdebroy » 17 Mar 2012, 02:10

Thanks Markuzz,
The Xcode version I installed is the one on the page you sent, precisely. I did not find where to download the non-app Xcode installer, using my apple developer account.

I did set the path to /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer as you said, and indeed it finds xcodebuild, but it show another error: "packagermaker not found", exactly as typed here.

I checked the package contents of xcode.app and it does not seem to have that file on its internal usr/bin folder. Anyway, will try with those commands mentioned on the page you recommended, and if you have any other suggestion it is well received.

Thanks a lot!
jdebroy
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Postby jdebroy » 17 Mar 2012, 16:03

Well, my lack of experience with Mac is surfacing... :D

Indeed I found that the developer downloads have a standalone version of Xcode for Lion, so I downloaded it overnight. To my surprise, it is exactly the same Xcode.app package that the app store installs on my user/Applications. I copied it to /Developer. Originally I imagined the download will bring some installers, like on windows. (guess that the .app files can be moved, copied or else)
The big difference is that on /Developer I can add files to the Xcode.app, namely to install packagemaker where it is needed.

I also learned that PackageMaker is not part of this and future versions of Xcode, but apple offers a separate download for it, named "auxiliary tools for xcode", containing packagemaker and others.

The problem now is that I need to know the location where UAT is looking for packagemaker...
And the question is... is UAT looking for PackageMaker or is packagermaker completely other stuff? It is supposed to work the first time, but here we have a problem.
jdebroy
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Postby dreamora » 17 Mar 2012, 19:43

The big thing you need to do is open terminal and call xcode-select to /Applications/XCode.app

That will repoint the /Developer folder to /Applications/XCode.app/Developer and make 3rd party applications that look for dev tools but that didn't get updated to work as expected for quite some time now to look in the correct place again
I'm no stonetrip representative, just a happy board member like you :)

If you find my portfolio interesting, feel free to contact me or follow my shares on my twitter stream or my game development blog
dreamora
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby NiCoX » 18 Mar 2012, 17:11

Hi,

I need to know the location where UAT is looking for packagemaker...

The UAT is looking for "/usr/bin/packagemaker" (and also "/usr/bin/xcodebuild").

Let me know.
NiCoX
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby dreamora » 18 Mar 2012, 20:08

Does it really use these paths hardcoded or does it correctly use the system envs for it? the repointing I mentioned above ensures that it correctly looks inside the xcode app that since XCode 4.2 is no longer installed as system trashing blob but a single .app inside the /Applications folder, at least given it asks the system about the location instead of hardcoding it ...

If you find my portfolio interesting, feel free to contact me or follow my shares on my twitter stream or my game development blog
dreamora
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby NiCoX » 18 Mar 2012, 20:44

Does it really use these paths hardcoded or does it correctly use the system envs for it?

I admit it is really bad, but indeed it is hardcoded :oops: We'll fix that.
NiCoX
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby jdebroy » 18 Mar 2012, 21:13

NiCox,
Mac OSX messaged that the copy of xcode I had on /Developer is an old version and offered to erase it and place it on path-to-my-user/Applications, so I accepted it. Anyway, it is supposedly the way it should be managed.
Now my Xcode is the latest, updateable via the app store, and located under my user /Applications.
On UAT I did set the path to Xcode to /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer.

I downloaded the "auxiliary xcode tools.dmg" available on the developers area on apple website. That is the dmg that contains a "PackageMaker" icon, which I copied to my Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin. This does NOT work.

So I went inside the PackageMaker package (using Show contents...) and found inside its Contents/MacOS a unix binary called PackageMaker. I copied this one to my Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin and to my surprise it compiled perfectly. I compiled an stk to a MacOS dmg and zip files, both work (run) great on the iMac. I still need to compile for iOS, but because it is sunday and I have some family chores to do, it will be done tomorrow. Am sure it will work.

I think this finding is good for new mac developers. I would suggest to modify the UAT to acommodate for the new Mac OSX file mappings, probably adding individual path settings for xcodebuild and packagemaker. Also to correct the UAT message "packagermaker" spelling.

EDIT: Just to clarify, Xcode is under /Applications. My lack of MacOSX structures lead me to believe that it was under the user branch, but /applications is under the disk root. I discoveredit by enabling full path view on the window title, a la windows
jdebroy
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Postby dreamora » 19 Mar 2012, 19:55

I assume this package you installed is the same you can get by going to XCode - Preferences - Downloads - Components - Command Line Tools and clicking install?

dreamora
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby jdebroy » 19 Mar 2012, 22:12

To be honest, am not sure. I didn't see it listed on the package description.
I installed the command line tools today, but it was yesterday that I did the procedure mentioned above. When I have some free time will uninstall the command line tools to see what installs.
jdebroy
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Return to Installation & Configuration