Home Tutorials Download Beta Store Forum Documentation KnowledgeBase Wiki Blog

ShiVa3D

Return to Adobe Flash 11

ShiVa Flash 11 engine preview

Alternative to ShiVa's Web Player

Re: ShiVa Flash 11 engine preview

Postby redmotion » 28 Mar 2012, 11:44

Just came across another Unity3d press release mascarading as news:

http://venturebeat.com/2012/03/27/adobe-flash-based-mass-market-games-will-go-3d-in-a-big-way/

I popped in a comment about Shiva3d to reduce the one-sided bias. :)

I mean this stuff is just Unity telling sites what to print and giving them some dosh to do it, isn't it?

PS: Stonetrip should send some articles to develop and edge with a similar title.
Last edited by redmotion on 29 Mar 2012, 13:11, edited 1 time in total.
redmotion
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby stevz » 28 Mar 2012, 12:34

redmotion wrote:Just came across another Unity3d press release mascarading as news:

http://venturebeat.com/2012/03/27/adobe-flash-based-mass-market-games-will-go-3d-in-a-big-way/

I popped in a comment about Shiva3d to reduce the one-sided bias. :)

I mean this stuff is just Unity telling sites what to print and giving them some dosh to do it, isn't it?

PS: Stonetrip should send some articles to develop and edge with the same title.

Well done Jason :D

In my opinion, Shiva needs to go a bit more into advertisings and marketing, because I see a lot of small studios spending more that 1500 € in Unity just to release small phone games that could be easily done with Shiva Basic for more platforms only spending 1/4 of the money. And most times this is because they dont know a word about Shiva, even that it exists, and they go directly for the popular tool that everybody uses.
Developing sci-fi platformer Invertium. Visit http://www.lunar-kingdom.com
stevz
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Postby broozar » 28 Mar 2012, 14:26

well done. though next time, why not link the blog post too, so they can see the samples and everything with a single click? :)

offtopic -->
there is photoshop. and 3ds max. and microsoft office. the ipad. it does not matter if other tools are better, cheaper or easier to use, there is always "the one" that is known to everybody and that defines a whole category to end users. the lack of any information regarding shiva is, however, disturbing and a clear sign of bias and bad journalism.
broozar
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby makkar » 28 Mar 2012, 15:50

So an additional license towards Adobe will be required for using Flash3D?

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplayer/articles/premium-features.html
makkar
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby mal_CanDo » 28 Mar 2012, 16:17

From flash site...
> Premium features licensing will only be needed when both of the following APIs are
> used in the same application run in Flash Player:

> •ApplicationDomain.domainMemory, which provides access to domain memory
> •Stage3D.request3DContext, if using hardware acceleration

( Note use of BOTH - for now, using one or the other seems free )

For highly optimised 3D games, both these are needed.

However, for smaller 3D games exported to Flash, is it possible for Shiva to not use one of these and still run at an acceptable speed? Eg for content with 100K polys per frame, both features might be required - for content with 1K polys per frame, can the export be tagged to not use the requst3DContext and just use direct Flash calls using the public Stage3D API.

Also vice versa, some games might run OK without using domainMemory, just using regular Flash API calls to access memory. Can this be a toggle?

Of course, Adobe might change their policy in 6 months / years, and charge for using any one of the features ( eg last year, charging content developers for using any Flash features would have been unheard of )

Mal
mal_CanDo
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Postby NiCoX » 28 Mar 2012, 16:31

However, for smaller 3D games exported to Flash, is it possible for Shiva to not use one of these and still run at an acceptable speed?

Yes, we'll provide both ways. Now, Adobe is not charging bellow 50k income, so not a problem for most Indie developers or advert gaming, I think.
NiCoX
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby dreamora » 28 Mar 2012, 17:26

mal_CanDo wrote:Of course, Adobe might change their policy in 6 months / years, and charge for using any one of the features ( eg last year, charging content developers for using any Flash features would have been unheard of)

Or as with the past 6 attempts to change something the community will burn them to crisp and they will crawl back on all fours, realizing that their decision is utter greed as long as Adobe Flash and the Adobe Flex tools aren't offered for free if they want any royalities and apologise for it as they did with their wording on flash + mobile or as they did with the CS6 upgrade policy, both things burning their reputation quite a bit and this one is definitely another nail in their flash coffin. Lets see how long it takes them this time to realize it
I'm no stonetrip representative, just a happy board member like you :)

If you find my portfolio interesting, feel free to contact me or follow my shares on my twitter stream or my game development blog
dreamora
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby shoaz » 29 Mar 2012, 12:45

Great Job!

When time permits, we will test flash exports of some projects.
shoaz
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Postby RedKetchup » 29 Mar 2012, 16:29

Hum, question, why Flash and not HTML 5? Flash is dying, Adobe dropped it. [url]
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204358004577027923205009352.html/url
:?:
RedKetchup
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby dreamora » 29 Mar 2012, 17:14

Because there is no HTML5 thats even remotely gaming capable.
1. HTML5 does not support 3D at all. Thats WebGL and WebGL != HTML5
2. HTML5 at the time supports between 0 and 1 audio sources, anything that uses more needs to use flash for audio playback.
3. JS performance is even significantly crapier than the performance of flash, which by any comparision to shiva is already bad.
4. WebGL performance, support, features and correct rendering are a thing thats still far away from production usage

All in all: before 2014 I wouldn't expect it to work even halfway usable for production usage.

If you find my portfolio interesting, feel free to contact me or follow my shares on my twitter stream or my game development blog
dreamora
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby shivachristy » 22 Apr 2012, 17:09

I tried these demos at home and they worked when I tried to demo them on a clients machines they didnt work.
I dont know why but will ask to investigate.
http://cur.lv/1x0wx via an ad! Thanks
shivachristy
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby dreamora » 22 Apr 2012, 19:16

Ensure the flash version is up to 11.1 at least - there is a good chance that the installation is older in which case no Stage 3D is existant.

Also I'm not sure if it works with 11.2 which broke stuff again to force in their 9% royality model (flash premium) thats going to be enforced later this year.

dreamora
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby vklymenko » 22 Apr 2012, 22:26

hi there,
awesome, just got working one of a lot my 2d (HUD based) games with .swf (I founded its better to keep project files at same directory where flex installed..). Mostly it works great, thanks very very much, now I have what to do for near months - to export all the games I have and grab some cash from releasing it on flash sites :mrgreen:
vklymenko
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby eried » 23 Apr 2012, 23:11

Hi! I tried to export a small file and worked very nice, but for a game I get "java heap space" error.

I tried directly calling the flex sdk compiler but I got the same error and no idea were I can tweak that. This machine has 8 gb ram

Any hint?
eried
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

PreviousNext

Return to Adobe Flash 11