Home Tutorials Download Beta Store Forum Documentation KnowledgeBase Wiki Blog

ShiVa3D

Return to Misc

ShiVa 2.0 news: flamewar edition

All That Remains

ShiVa 2.0 news: flamewar edition

Postby Rotundjere2 » 02 Apr 2012, 06:34

The problem with Shiva3D is not offering free-to publish on Android/iOS. (while the majority of it's consumers are targetting mobile development).

In the other-side, Unity3D Basic is 100% free (free to publish to market/appstore with Unity-powered splash screen)

http://www.stonetrip.com/developer/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=25507&p=44567#p44567

This is why Unity has more larger userbase than Shiva, because indie developers will release game on the market (with unity-powered splash screen) and eventually will drive more userbase to Unity community.
User avatar
Rotundjere2
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder
 
Posts: 31

Re: ShiVa 2.0 news

Postby .eb » 02 Apr 2012, 07:34

Rotundjere2's post is giving me a headache.
User avatar
.eb
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
 
Posts: 332
Location: Syracuse NY

Re: ShiVa 2.0 news

Postby RawenGroup » 02 Apr 2012, 08:05

I dont like Unity bloggers/forumers.
Incorrect business behavior.
RawenGroup
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder
 
Posts: 96
Location: Hungary

Re: ShiVa 2.0 news

Postby ThunderZ » 02 Apr 2012, 09:06

Rotundjere2 wrote:The problem with Shiva3D is not offering free-to publish on Android/iOS. (while the majority of it's consumers are targetting mobile development).

In the other-side, Unity3D Basic is 100% free (free to publish to market/appstore with Unity-powered splash screen)

http://www.stonetrip.com/developer/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=25507&p=44567#p44567

This is why Unity has more larger userbase than Shiva, because indie developers will release game on the market (with unity-powered splash screen) and eventually will drive more userbase to Unity community.


This is not a problem.
Shiva have a very good price for indy dev because you can dev an ALL PLATFORM TARGET for 1 unique license.
THIS IS AMAZING AND THIS IS THE TRUE POWER OF SHIVA !!!!!
Make a free version of shiva will be stupid.
Why allways people want all free ??? you just need to pay the good price for the good tools and shiva price is very very attractive (200$ with winter promotion + 2.0 update included)

It's true that Unity make a good market advertissement but it's not all.
If you want to pay nothing to make and android/ios game it's possible, just take the SDK and code ;) (or use free lib)

If you want a good tool to make a game quick and fast just learn what you need and what you want.
User avatar
ThunderZ
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
 
Posts: 429
Location: France - Loiret

Re: ShiVa 2.0 news

Postby redmotion » 02 Apr 2012, 10:20

I got my 10 free copies of Unity basic last month.

Not got around to installing it yet as I have a PUBLISHED game made with ShiVa that needs updating, continued development and support (and real/potential customers to keep happy).

When I bought ShiVa about 1.5years ago SHIVA was the "giveaway" software. Unity was about $4000 for Android and iOS. Knowing what I know now I'll still upgrade to Shiva 2.0 and Unity will still not get any money from me.

Night night.
User avatar
redmotion
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
 
Posts: 574

Re: ShiVa 2.0 news

Postby Simon » 02 Apr 2012, 11:10

when shiva 2.0 will be able to try? with directX11 and QT interface with opened more functions for developer? for now rendering is good but not excellent in that industrie. to get good gfx now need be perfect in texturing area as in techdemo The hunt. in Zbrush for example we can see good picture with bad model and texturing.

thank YOu shiva developers :D
User avatar
Simon
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder
 
Posts: 112
Location: Russia, Siberia

Re: ShiVa 2.0 news

Postby redmotion » 02 Apr 2012, 11:14

in Zbrush for example we can see good picture with bad model and texturing


Er, no. No engine can cover up a lack of artistic ability. Sorry. "Bad workmen always blame their tools" as the saying goes.
User avatar
redmotion
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
 
Posts: 574

Re: ShiVa 2.0 news

Postby Rotundjere2 » 02 Apr 2012, 11:17

is there a A-rated game (like ShadowGun) made by using Shiva ?


p.s: sorry my english is bad
User avatar
Rotundjere2
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder
 
Posts: 31

Re: ShiVa 2.0 news

Postby Simon » 02 Apr 2012, 11:51

Redmotion can you show me excellent(top notch) rendering in shiva?

it's unigine for example
http://unigine.com/products/unigine/showcase/bluegiant1.jpg
http://unigine.com/products/unigine/showcase/bluegiant2.jpg

if we upload all this models to shiva it will be looks not so perfect...i am not right?
User avatar
Simon
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder
 
Posts: 112
Location: Russia, Siberia

Re: ShiVa 2.0 news

Postby michax » 02 Apr 2012, 13:40

Fine example of shiva rendering:
http://www.stonetrip.com/developer/288-next-gen-rendering-techniques

And personaly one of my favorite:
http://www.hypnotik.info/shiva/archireal/index_high.htm

Quality of visuals depends mostly on your skils. Of course shiva have many limitations on that field but you can do a lot with tools currently available.

PS: I've tested Unigine. It's a lot bigger then shiva .. and cost's a lot more as well.
User avatar
michax
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
 
Posts: 469
Location: Poland

Re: ShiVa 2.0 news

Postby redmotion » 02 Apr 2012, 14:00

and cost's a lot more as well.


LOL. I just checked Unigine and to quote:

UNIGINE SDK is available on a per-case basis (an average deal is about 30,000 USD per project


Today we seem to be getting an influx of whiners who want $30,000 of game engine for nothing. (this could be my last post today as my next one will probably be quite rude, I imagine)
User avatar
redmotion
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
 
Posts: 574

Re: ShiVa 2.0 news

Postby michax » 02 Apr 2012, 16:18

redmotion wrote:
and cost's a lot more as well.


LOL. I just checked Unigine and to quote:

UNIGINE SDK is available on a per-case basis (an average deal is about 30,000 USD per project


Today we seem to be getting an influx of whiners who want $30,000 of game engine for nothing. (this could be my last post today as my next one will probably be quite rude, I imagine)


I think 30k is for SDK so probalby with some abilities to modify and extend engine by yourself. I remember first licensing page and their pricing for normal version without SDK was ok. However if you wanted all platforms covered end value was prette big.
User avatar
michax
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
 
Posts: 469
Location: Poland

Re: ShiVa 2.0 news

Postby Strokey44 » 02 Apr 2012, 18:33

Edit: Was thinking of a different game engine. Not sure what Unigine prices used to be.
Last edited by Strokey44 on 04 Apr 2012, 02:37, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Strokey44
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder
 
Posts: 174
Location: United States

Re: ShiVa 2.0 news

Postby Simon » 03 Apr 2012, 05:02

michax wrote:Fine example of shiva rendering:
http://www.stonetrip.com/developer/288-next-gen-rendering-techniques

And personaly one of my favorite:
http://www.hypnotik.info/shiva/archireal/index_high.htm

Quality of visuals depends mostly on your skils. Of course shiva have many limitations on that field but you can do a lot with tools currently available.

PS: I've tested Unigine. It's a lot bigger then shiva .. and cost's a lot more as well.


1) there is only video. it's needed published application to understang grpahics quality.
may be some one know where it is presented

2)this is good but there is ripple on white sofa and on other small parts
User avatar
Simon
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder
 
Posts: 112
Location: Russia, Siberia

Re: ShiVa 2.0 news

Postby dreamora » 03 Apr 2012, 08:26

2) thats a thing you will see in many affordable engines. The shadow algorithm and a few other things need to be on a much higher level than what you can expect for sub 20k++ per title engines unluckily it seems as I've seen it in various engines now. The way to tackle it is to optimize object size and light range and alike to reduce this consequence of float precision limitation on the shadow calcs with these type of shadow algorithms
I'm no stonetrip representative, just a happy board member like you :)

If you find my portfolio interesting, feel free to contact me or follow my shares on my twitter stream or my game development blog
User avatar
dreamora
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
 
Posts: 844

Next

Return to Misc

cron