Home Tutorials Download Beta Store Forum Documentation KnowledgeBase Wiki Blog

ShiVa3D

Return to Getting Started

linux install for shiva

You feel lost? You don't understand how to use ShiVa?

linux install for shiva

Postby devguy » 08 Apr 2012, 22:28

Hi I am developing on Linux x64, when I go to the download page, I don't see a way too choose my platform? Also I am presented with Shiva_1.9.1.0.WEB.exe, is this a Windows install?

Kind Regards!
devguy
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Re: linux install for shiva

Postby Shaderman » 08 Apr 2012, 22:50

I'd love to see the suite for Linux too, but unfortunately, it's currently only available for Windows. I think I've read something about plans to release them for Linux and OSX as well some day - not sure though :)
Shaderman
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby devguy » 08 Apr 2012, 23:24

Oh the irony of it all :lol: a multi-platform game engine that is only available to develop on windows. Well I'll give it a go in my VirtualBox environment =) and play around with it.

I was looking learn to develop iphone/ipad apps, now I get to do this from Windows on a Linux box!!!

Kind Regards!
Last edited by devguy on 08 Apr 2012, 23:51, edited 1 time in total.
devguy
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby dtr1au » 08 Apr 2012, 23:27

The editor is only on Windows. NiCoX has confirmed that the editor has been rewritten for 2.0 and will run on linux. So we should hopefully see it in the coming months.
dtr1au
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby broozar » 08 Apr 2012, 23:29

...and if you are going to release something for the iOS ecosystem, you won't get around buying an actual mac...
broozar
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby Shaderman » 08 Apr 2012, 23:39

devguy wrote:I'll give it a go in my VirtualBox environment =) and play around with it.

I've tried the same, but the scene wasn't rendered correctly in the game editor. I've checked all available render settings without getting a satisfying result :| I helped myself with a Windows installation on a separate drive.
Shaderman
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby devguy » 09 Apr 2012, 00:08

broozar wrote:...and if you are going to release something for the iOS ecosystem, you won't get around buying an actual mac...

yes i was looking at getting a mac-mini, then i came across Shiva and like the fact that i could use my c++ skills and avoid the need to code native objective-c iphone/ipad apps.
devguy
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby devguy » 09 Apr 2012, 00:24

@Shaderman, well if that's the case i'll have to wait till they release a linux version of Shiva.
devguy
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby Shaderman » 09 Apr 2012, 06:34

devguy wrote:@Shaderman, well if that's the case i'll have to wait till they release a linux version of Shiva.

You could still try it yourself. Maybe it runs better on your hardware than on mine :)
Shaderman
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby dreamora » 09 Apr 2012, 17:37

devguy wrote:
broozar wrote:...and if you are going to release something for the iOS ecosystem, you won't get around buying an actual mac...

yes i was looking at getting a mac-mini, then i came across Shiva and like the fact that i could use my c++ skills and avoid the need to code native objective-c iphone/ipad apps.

That situation does not exist where you can avoid it unless you hire someone else to write the usage functionality for native features that are not present in the engine as cross platform engines normally only offer crossplatform features which automatically means 'not the other 70% iOS offers' (this holds for all engines that support iOS and Android out of my experience)
I'm no stonetrip representative, just a happy board member like you :)

If you find my portfolio interesting, feel free to contact me or follow my shares on my twitter stream or my game development blog
dreamora
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Return to Getting Started