Home Tutorials Download Beta Store Forum Documentation KnowledgeBase Wiki Blog

ShiVa3D

Return to Google Android

Play Movie  [SOLVED]

Google Play Store, Amazon Kindle, Nook, and so many more

Play Movie

Postby lyraemd » 12 Apr 2012, 23:36

Hi there,
I need to place a startup video on android. So the solution I cameup with is to playOverlayMovie. Everything seems to be great for now, but it doesnt't quit work.
It works great in the editor but on my phone (desire hd) the video is squized vertically
and plays like few frames per second. In general not good. So for now the question is what is wrong? What is the best coder and bitrate?
Other solution is to play the movie over the texture, but the performance isn't quit good enaugh to play a video.
So the last call was to use playOverlayExternalMovie. So far so good, but if you tap you see the ui controls (bad thing for intro) and I doubt its possible to give an action to skip the video.
So please help, how did you play movies in your game.
Thank you.
lyraemd
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Re: Play Movie  [SOLVED]

Postby NiCoX » 13 Apr 2012, 00:00

Hi,

So the last call was to use playOverlayExternalMovie.

Suggest this one.

So far so good, but if you tap you see the ui controls (bad thing for intro) and I doubt its possible to give an action to skip the video.

You should be able to customize/remove the controls if you edit the generated Java files (you need to export a "project", not an "apk", though).
NiCoX
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: Play Movie

Postby Xdust » 13 Apr 2012, 00:05

lyraemd wrote:Hi there,
I need to place a startup video on android. So the solution I cameup with is to playOverlayMovie. Everything seems to be great for now, but it doesnt't quit work.
It works great in the editor but on my phone (desire hd) the video is squized vertically
and plays like few frames per second. In general not good. So for now the question is what is wrong? What is the best coder and bitrate?
Other solution is to play the movie over the texture, but the performance isn't quit good enaugh to play a video.
So the last call was to use playOverlayExternalMovie. So far so good, but if you tap you see the ui controls (bad thing for intro) and I doubt its possible to give an action to skip the video.
So please help, how did you play movies in your game.
Thank you.

I have got to tell you, I never got a movie to work on my android.
Anything that would run fast enough to look like a movue was running at such a slow bit-rate it looked horrible.

I'm not saying it cant be done, but man, i just dont think these devices have the horsepower yet.

So yea, I gave up. Let us know if you get it working. i for one would love to have a nice movie in my game menu. i just cant get it to work.
Xdust
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Postby lyraemd » 13 Apr 2012, 00:25

Thanks NiCoX you indeed never sleep :)
I've got this working with playOverlayExternalMovie. I removed the mediacontroller in java source so now they don't popup.
Any though to give the possibility to skip the video?

Xdust, my phone supports HD playback so as playOverlayExternalMovie decode in hw, the video plays smoothly. I think even old desire will be able to play 480x360 video.
Look here for video playback reference.
http://developer.android.com/guide/appendix/media-formats.html

With this line of code:
application.playOverlayExternalMovie ("file://" .. application.getPackDirectory ( ) .. "/videotest.mp4")

And by adding videotest.mp4 to additional files in UAT everything plays nicely.

As for rendering the video in the game I think you're right the CPU lonely is not able to play the video with proper fps. Lets hope that one day somehow the engine will decode in game vidoe by hw too.
Last edited by lyraemd on 13 Apr 2012, 00:33, edited 1 time in total.
lyraemd
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby Xdust » 13 Apr 2012, 00:31

lyraemd wrote:Thanks NiCoX you indeed never sleep :)
I've got this working with playOverlayExternalMovie. I removed the mediacontroller in java source so now they don't popup.
Any though to give the possibility to skip the video?

Xdust, my phone supports HD playback so as playOverlayExternalMovie decode in hw, the video plays smoothly. I think even old desire will be able to play 480x360 video.
Look here for video playback reference.
http://developer.android.com/guide/appendix/media-formats.html

With this line of code:
application.playOverlayExternalMovie ("file://" .. application.getPackDirectory ( ) .. "/videotest.mp4")

And by adding videotest.mp4 to additional files in UAT everything plays nicely.

Ok, ill try it. Thanks a bunch for the info.
Xdust
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Return to Google Android