Home Tutorials Download Beta Store Forum Documentation KnowledgeBase Wiki Blog

ShiVa3D

Return to Game programming

Manipulate Gravity

All about the StoneScript

Manipulate Gravity

Postby TheDukeVIP » 20 Apr 2012, 11:02

Hello everyone,

Is it possible to make models fall to another object, not to the ground ?
Like the wall walking mechanism in Prey, where the player can walk on walls, upside down etc.

Thanks.
TheDukeVIP
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Re: Manipulate Gravity

Postby broozar » 20 Apr 2012, 12:21

it is easy to manipulate gravity using http://www.stonetrip.com/developer/doc/api/scene-setDynamicsGravity, this will not give you the result you want. if you want to enable the player to be able to walk on walls, you need to do a raycast to his feet, either to a sensor or a collider http://www.stonetrip.com/developer/doc/api/scene-getFirstHitColliderEx, then get the hit face normal and rotate your player accordingly.
broozar
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby TheDukeVIP » 20 Apr 2012, 13:18

Raycast to a collider, get normal vertex then rotate... looks nice, must give it a try!
TheDukeVIP
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby TheDukeVIP » 24 Apr 2012, 19:41

I have a little problem with the following code:
Code: Select all
local Tx, Ty, Tz = object.getTranslation ( ShipObject, object.kGlobalSpace )
local Rx, Ry, Rz = object.getRotation ( ShipObject, object.kGlobalSpace )
local Dx, Dy, Dz = object.getDirection ( ShipObject, object.kGlobalSpace )
local hHitObject, nHitDist, nHitSurfaceID, ix, iy, iz, ni, nj, nk = scene.getFirstHitColliderEx ( MyScene, Tx, Ty, Tz, Dz, Dy,Dz , 1000 )

or this one
local hHitObject, nHitDist, nHitSurfaceID, ix, iy, iz, ni, nj, nk = scene.getFirstHitColliderEx ( MyScene, Tx, Ty, Tz, 0, 0, Dz, 1000 )

(the same thing with only Y or X direction)
and also this one
local hHitObject, nHitDist, nHitSurfaceID, ix, iy, iz, ni, nj, nk = scene.getFirstHitColliderEx ( MyScene, Tx, Ty, Tz, math.abs ( Dx ), math.abs ( Dy ), math.abs ( Dz ), 1000 )

Well, sometimes I get a collision detection, but with certain model rotations the collision is lost.
Is using getDirection results a good way or do I need something else ?

Thank in advance :)
TheDukeVIP
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby broozar » 24 Apr 2012, 20:01

what exactly is it you try to achieve? i thought you wanted to trace down (-Y) to get what's unter the player feets. of course, if you use getDirection which traces forward (-Z), you might get something you did not have in mind.

so.

1. make a test level consisting of level geometry (colliders) and sensors (the walkways you want to walk on).
2. give those sensor an ID of 1.
3. build a half-pipe with colliders and superimposed sensors.
4. use scene.getFirstHitSensorEx and trace DOWN in LOCAL SPACE, and while doing so, check for the ID 1
5. if ID 1 is found, use the normal vector that comes out of getFirstHitSensorEx and rotate your character appropriately.
6. move your character appropriately to the position where the sensor ray hit, plus a character offset if your character's feet are not at 0,0,0. do not use dynamics on the player.

hope that helped, sorry that i cannot code you an example right now, i am swamped.
broozar
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby TheDukeVIP » 25 Apr 2012, 16:38

Sorry again for any annoyance, this time I brought a picture which might better explain my problem !
The big red circle (setup as a collider) is the track I need the car to stick to. the car positions can be upside/down (1), normal position (3) or any other angle (2 and 4)
For scene.getFirstHitColliderEx to work, I need a ray vector direction, which, if I'm right, is the car (-Y), and so, my problem is to get this vector direction coordinates and use them as nRayDirX, nRayDirY, nRayDirZ.
TheDukeVIP
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby broozar » 25 Apr 2012, 23:07

maybe you should connect with berdal, he seems to have it nailed down pretty well.
http://www.stonetrip.com/developer/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=24829

here are my ideas. the raycast and translation itself is not very hard:

local o = this.getObject ( )
    local ox, oy, oz = object.getTranslation ( o, object.kGlobalSpace )
    local dx, dy, dz = object.getDirection ( o, object.kGlobalSpace ) --for the forward movement
    local yx, yy, yz = object.getYAxis ( o, object.kGlobalSpace ) --for the down trace

--desired move forward with framerate dependent scale factor
    local speed = 1 -- your speed
    local ndx, ndy, ndz = math.vectorScale ( dx, dy, dz, application.getLastFrameTime ( )*60*speed )

local hObj, hDist, hSurf, rx, ry, rz, rnx, rny, rnz = scene.getFirstHitColliderEx ( application.getCurrentUserScene ( ), ndx, ndy, ndz, -yx, -yy, -yz, 2 )

--normalize normal vector and scale by 0.85 for object height
    local rx_n, ry_n, rz_n = math.vectorNormalize ( rnx, rny, rnz )
    local rx_s, ry_s, rz_s = math.vectorScale ( rx_n, ry_n, rz_n, 1 )

object.translateTo ( o, rx+rx_s, ry+ry_s, rz+rz_s, object.kGlobalSpace, 0.8 ) --smooth

--unfinished! rotation is missing! will not work without!

what is giving me headaches is the rotation, since i am no math genius. you need to find a way to transform the normal vector rnx, rny, rnz into useful angles that you can then apply to your object using object.setRotation.
broozar
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby TheDukeVIP » 01 May 2012, 21:07

Hello !
It's me again !
Thank you for your answer, also, I asked Berdal and he told me to "use object.lookAtWithUp, with the normal of the surface as up vector"
So I'll give it a try asap !

Thanks again for your support :)
TheDukeVIP
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby Fraser » 02 May 2012, 22:24

Duke, another thing you might consider doing is this:

Setup physics as normal, big ball as collider, trains as dynamic box bodies.

Set scene gravity to zero:
scene.setDynamicsGravity ( hScene,0,0,0 )

Then in your train onEnterFrame or StateLoop synthesize your own gravity:
dynamics.addForce ( hTrain, K*x,K*y,K*z, object.kGlobalSpace )

K is your new gravitational constant.

x,y,z is the vector that points to the centre of your mini planet.

This will give behaviour like mario galaxy.
Fraser
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Return to Game programming