Home Tutorials Download Beta Store Forum Documentation KnowledgeBase Wiki Blog

ShiVa3D

Return to External tools

Truespace 7.6 for free

Tools for ShiVa...

Truespace 7.6 for free

Postby scorpion » 25 Jul 2008, 10:40

Microsoft bought Caligari and released Truespace for free!
Go and get it: http://www.caligari.com/
scorpion
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Re:Truespace 7.6 for free

Postby DeviG » 25 Jul 2008, 14:46

truespace is $595 its not free, its just another microsoft campaign
DeviG
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Postby scorpion » 25 Jul 2008, 15:21

Where did you read that? Works great for me! I definately did not pay anything.
Greetings
scorpion
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby scorpion » 25 Jul 2008, 15:38

That table is wrong. Truespace is free now. Simply download and try.
see:
http://www.caligari.com/store/trueSpace ... TtrueSpace
and
http://forums1.caligari.com/truespace/s ... php?t=5800
scorpion
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby DeviG » 25 Jul 2008, 15:56

in that case they need to fix their page, anyway I will download it now to read the license

thanks for the info
DeviG
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Postby DeadVoxel » 09 Feb 2009, 13:05

Just to add a bit to this thread...

I've been using Caligari's products for years; I've found them reliable and affordable. This "Microsoft bought Caligari" stuff is a bit more complex than that and is related to Microsoft's ventures in the "virtual world" niche. But indeed trueSpace 7.6 is free now ("free" as in "beer"). It's not open source, but there are SDKs available for downloading so you can create plugins, exporters and such.

On trueSpace itself, its interface changed from version 6.X yo 7.X (I think version 6.6 was the turning point). As the users requested the old interface to be put back, there's an option to use "6.X interface"; I feel this is important, both for users used to it from older versions (or gameSpace) and for newcomers to 3D.

Although I really like trueSpace I've always missed two features in it: a better animation system (to my taste, of course) and a better UV editor. The variety of formats trueSpace can use for loading/saving is an advantage here, as you can use UU3D or RoadKill for UV editing and other software for animating (suggestions welcome, I shalt not name the EXPENSIVE 3D suites here). Maybe DAZ Studio would do, I haven't tried (yet).

Please take into account that trueSpace can save to COLLADA but can't load from it out-of-the-box; my pipeline involves generating content in trueSpace (or loading it from 3ds or obj files) and saving to COLLADA. Note that the new export formats (such as RsObj or COLLADA itself) can be set from the "7.X menu" (File->Save) and not from the "6.X menu" (TS6 Files->Save); using the classic interface you'll find both menus one atop the other. I have encountered no problems (at all) when loading DAEs generated by trueSpace into ShiVa. Just in case (and from my previous experience with other engines using COLLADA) I prefer not loading the materials from the DAE file and create new materials with ShiVa.

Well, that's about it. I felt bad when a program I had spent lots of €/$ went free, but I believe it's good for the industry, the indies and small studios.
If I can give you a hand with it, just drop me a line (-_o)

P.S.: For users of other 3D suites, trueSpace has a nice trick for getting rid of coplanar faces. You can add a simple primitive (Plane) to the scene, put it so it doesn't intersect with the object you want to "clean up" and boolean-substract the plane from the object. Unwanted edges in coplanar faces (or triangulation) will vanish. This can save a lot of time (-_o)
DeadVoxel
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Postby NiCoX » 09 Feb 2009, 13:40

Just in case (and from my previous experience with other engines using COLLADA) I prefer not loading the materials from the DAE file and create new materials with ShiVa.

We also recommend it :)
NiCoX
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby Mikele » 15 Feb 2009, 20:08

NiCoX wrote:
Just in case (and from my previous experience with other engines using COLLADA) I prefer not loading the materials from the DAE file and create new materials with ShiVa.

It's good for single models and a torture for big scenes but thanks for a tip. I'm maya-user in my real work but trueSpace looks like good option for indie dev.
Mikele
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby ale870 » 15 Feb 2009, 22:42

NiCoX wrote:

Did you suggest this only for speed-up the job or for other reasons (performance, game optimization, etc...)?
ale870
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Truespace on the verge of death!

Postby broozar » 20 May 2009, 22:13

http://www.caligari.com/News/news_20090 ... under.html

and i quote,

You may have heard that Microsoft Corporation, reacting to difficult business conditions, has been evaluating many of the products it produces and making the difficult decision to reduce investment in certain areas...

...some services and contacts may come to an end as early as Friday May 22nd 2009, while others will continue as long as possible with no firm cutoff date available yet.

download while you still can (in case you want to), since it's free. and can export to dae. not flawlessly though, but good enough for still models.

i guess that ends all need for a plugin/StonTool for truespace.
CM ShiVa Technologies SAS
broozar
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Return to External tools